Allure and the elevators

I searched but did not find anything addressing this situation. On my previous cruise ship (Monarch) I found it was much faster getting up and down the decks via the stars versus waiting for the elevators. Is it the same on the Allure? Or is the ship so big I shouldn't even attempt the stairs?

I'd like to think getting around on the stairs will help out with the weight I'm going to gain on the ship :p However the truth is I just want to get where I want to go without having to wait...and wait....and then wait some more...

It depends on where you're going and when. I always tried to take the stairs whenever I could- or if I was feeling lazy and pressed an elevator button, I would look at the floor it was on and if it didn't move fast enough- that was my sign to take my lazy butt to the stairs (chances are I was going to get something to eat!). Especially towards the end of the cruise when I didn't want to see the days of the week trickle towards the dreaded last day (they have plaques on the elevator floors that tell you the day of the week).

We were on the Allure 3 years ago and at least 80% of the time I would beat those in my party who took the elevator to our desired deck. Many of the times it was up the stairs and I was getting out of breath by the time I got there, but it was worth it.

I ate whatever I wanted and didn't gain a pound.

I searched but did not find anything addressing this situation. On my previous cruise ship (Monarch) I found it was much faster getting up and down the decks via the stars versus waiting for the elevators. Is it the same on the Allure? Or is the ship so big I shouldn't even attempt the stairs?

I'd like to think getting around on the stairs will help out with the weight I'm going to gain on the ship :p However the truth is I just want to get where I want to go without having to wait...and wait....and then wait some more...

I personally am ALWAYS faster via the stairs :D unless its like at 3am after they kick you out of the night club with a broom stick :D...On the Allure the elevators are always like a subway constantly stopping train :D...Fun to meet new people I can tell you that :D On Independence we actually made friends thanks to the loads of stops from deck 5 to deck 12 and the bad (boring classical) music in the elevator :D

For oasis class stayed in deck 11 aft and elevators were annoying. Stayed deck 6 forward and no problem. Going up in the day no wait. Going down from 11 around dinner was a long wait. Bottom line if it is an issue stay lower as you go up during the day which is easy and much less wait to go down at night.

Depends how many flights you must climb! I can do 2-3 flights with no problem...more than that, and my hip kills me....so elevator it is for multiple decks. That's why we choose a deck closest to where we will spend our DAYTIME hours, as that is when you do the most "back and forth" to the cabin...

Beware of the children who pushes all buttons up and down so you'll stop at each and every floor (RCI please find a way to cancel the buttons).

And once I scolded a boy who think it's funny to press the "open" buttton everytime the door is closing.

Stairs must be faster. Elevators, you have to wait. But hey, we are on vacation, and we are in no rush to go anywhere! You guess what we take ;)

We meet and greet interesting people so we enjoy our elevator rides.

Enjoy your cruise!

There will be a wait during peak times which would be around meals and in the evenings when everyone is out and about.

However, I did not find Allure to be as bad as Freedom and Indy. The Freedom Class ships seem to be the worst. Probably because they have the same number of lifts as the smaller Voyager Class, but more people onboard.

Like you, I find it easier to just take the stairs. I always just walk up or down now unless I'm in a big hurry (and that ain't often on vacation ;)) It also has the added benefit of being decidedly healthy.

If I was able to take the stairs I would never get on an elevator on a cruise ship again.

Waiting on an elevator can be frustrating. It's even worse in a wheelchair and you sit there patiently waiting your turn only to have people charge in front of you and fill it up thus leaving you to wait on another. It's happened on every cruise I've been on.

Freedom was the worst of the ships I've been on as far elevator issues goes

This is the ONLY problem I have with cruising.

Edited by ryano

If I was able to take the stairs I would never get on an elevator on a cruise ship again.

Waiting on an elevator can be frustrating. It's even worse in a wheelchair and you sit there patiently waiting your turn only to have people charge in front of you and fill it up thus leaving you to wait on another. It's happened on every cruise I've been on.

Freedom was the worst of the ships I've been on as far elevator issues goes

This is the ONLY problem I have with cruising.

Absolutely. My sister uses a mobility scooter and it is so frustrating when you have a group of "young" people or kids waiting for an elevator to go one or two decks when we don't have that option. Last year we were on Oasis and we're leaving on Allure in 13 days. I'm already anticipating issues with the elevators - it is what it is.

Last year we were in a situation waiting for an elevator and each time another group would simply cut in front of us. There was a family waiting behind us when the elevators opened. The 12-year-old started to cut in front of us and his grandfather grabbed him by the arm and yanked him back to allow us on first. I looked at grandpa and thanked him. He just nodded and smiled.

We did experience long waits for the elevators on Allure. We also felt that the forward elevators had less of a wait most of the time.

This is a key point in not having to wait for elevators. In two trips on Allure I had virtually no waiting. The key is to break the mob mentality by heading immediately to the first elevator you see. Both trips we did Muster in the Aqua theater (back of the ship deck 6) and wanted to be on the bridge wing (deck 14). When Muster was released everyone headed to the elevators at the back of the boardwalk. Instead of taking the first elevator up to deck 14 and walking forward, I walked forward first to the front of the ship then found nobody waiting there. Or when coming out of dinner we walked to the rear of the ship them up.

But as far as stairs, we are healthy enough to use them and the art work in the stairs was motivation to try all the stairwells over the week.

On Oasis/Allure, we found the elevators to be busiest during rush hour times like going to port, dinner (especially formal nights), and most nights between 6-9pm. As others said, aft elevators saw the most action since it's the route to boardwalk, dining hall floors.

We take stairs as much as possible either way (except formal nights--wife's shoes). A good way to get a quick excercise in plus accomplish something.