Split and Dubrovnik

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

We have a two week cruise on Jade and so far have booked private yours in Ephesus, Athens and a kayaking tour in Mykonos. We are looking at doing maybe one or two other things and the other places we will either beach or just go round the towns - Corfu, Santorini and Olympia.

What we are not sure about is Split and Dubrovnik. Is it worth booking any specific tours at either of these places or are they great for exploring ourselves?

With 4 of us it's already quite expensive doing 3 tours so probably just 1 tour would be most likely.

Any suggestions most welcome :)

Hi all. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. We have a two week cruise on Jade and so far have booked private yours in Ephesus, Athens and a kayaking tour in Mykonos. We are looking at doing maybe one or two other things and the other places we will either beach or just go round the towns - Corfu, Santorini and Olympia. What we are not sure about is Split and Dubrovnik. Is it worth booking any specific tours at either of these places or are they great for exploring ourselves? With 4 of us it's already quite expensive doing 3 tours so probably just 1 tour would be most likely. Any suggestions most welcome

Can't help on Split, but have lots of ideas and options for super charming Dubrovnik. Check on the below post that I did on this wonderful location for more details, tips, suggestions. You can do much on your own. You might consider the taxi overview, introductory trip up to the top, etc., that we did. Also a great lunch dining option is suggested below. Loved the Wall Walk. See some of my visuals below. Much depends on the weather/temperatures that day, plus the number of other ships in the port when you are visiting.

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

There have been over 9,768 views on this posting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 22,753 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city. It was constructed in 1537. As you go through the gate, look for the statue of St. Blaise, the city's patron saint,. There is an inner gate, which is even older and was built in 1460. Entering the city this way, you see the surrounding fortifications hiding the buildings inside. There is a drawbridge fronting the Pile Gate that was once lifted each evening. From this location, you can get a cab that will take you back to the port and your ship. Sharing the cab, makes it nice and affordable.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

Just returned recently from 17 days on the Seabourn Spirit in the Adriatic. While I liked Dubrovnik I loved Split. There is a lovely seafront promenade and I found Diocletian's Palace fascinating.

This is what we did in Dubrovnik. Taxis are lined up as you get off the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078119

Once in the old town wander around, get tickets for the wall, relax at the beach bar (behind the south wall).

In Split we walked in to town and did a 1hr15min walking tour. They have guides waiting. They said maximum of 10 people. We got there just after 9am and they said we could go straight away (4 people). I think it was 100Kr each, so not dirt cheap. The ship tour included entries to the palace etc, ours did not.

So in the end it wasn't a lot cheaper but having 4 instead of 30 was the thing I wanted (and not being rushed through in a herd). We also were free to go into the palace etc at our leisure. It's a lovely place.

The guide was very informative. If you read up on the history etc yourself you could do it without a guide though. Unless you are happy to just look at old buildings with no story. I like the story.

We also got the bus to Trogir which was also interesting (24kn each way). Make sure you get the express bus though. The local one takes over an hour and doesn't finish near the ship (lesson learnt).

Edited by sayaguru

• 5 weeks later...

We were a bit mislead by the ship because in Split they put the currency as the Euro on the port map they have. None of the shops we went in would take the Euro and many even had signs saying Euro's not accepted. In Dubrovnik some places were happy to take the Euro, though we changed some in to Kuna as we wanted to do the cable car ride.

I have to say Dubrovnik is a stunning and beautiful place and I'd love to go back separately and spend some time there :)

I don't understand, really, what is the problem with exchanging money? 10 years ago, or 12, we had all different currenciens in every country in Europe. That never stopped us to go where ever we want, given the opportunity. In Italy we had Italian Lira, in Germany German Marks, in Austria Shillings... You justcome there and exchange it in a first bank you see, or at the exchange office or just use ATM-s which are everywhere when you arrive.:D

If you come to London, you'll need British ponuds (still, eventhough they're in EU).

Edited by Daniela32

I don't understand, really, what is the problem with exchanging money? 10 years ago, or 12, we had all different currenciens in every country in Europe. That never stopped us to go where ever we want, given the opportunity. In Italy we had Italian Lira, in Germany German Marks, in Austria Shillings... You justcome there and exchange it in a first bank you see, or at the exchange office or just use ATM-s which are everywhere when you arrive.:D

If you come to London, you'll need British ponuds (still, eventhough they're in EU).

I never said there was a problem, I said we were mislead by the ship that's all. If I'd known different I would have exchanged prior to leaving :D

we had private guides in both Split and Dubrovnik-they quoted us in euros and paid for any incidentals and we later reimbursed in euros-they would also been happy to be paid in kuna or pound sterling so obviously don't have a problem exchanging foreign currency

Did you get receipt from your guides? It's not possible to issue a receipt in Euros. They're not paying taxes obviously.

Did you get receipt from your guides? It's not possible to issue a receipt in Euros. They're not paying taxes obviously.

I have taken many private tours over the years in many places and never have received a receipt nor have I requested one.

I've taken several private tours in several countries and the thought never crossed my mind they may not be paying taxes by asking for cash in whatever currency[st Petersburg most of the top recommended guides request payment in US dollars rather than Russian currency.]

I research recommended guides either through here or on trip advisor and establish contact through email. Payment has always been in cash at the end of the trip and it would never occur to me to ask for a receipt or be suspicious as to whether they were avoiding paying tax

Edited by fabnfortysomething

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

We have a two week cruise on Jade and so far have booked private yours in Ephesus, Athens and a kayaking tour in Mykonos. We are looking at doing maybe one or two other things and the other places we will either beach or just go round the towns - Corfu, Santorini and Olympia.

What we are not sure about is Split and Dubrovnik. Is it worth booking any specific tours at either of these places or are they great for exploring ourselves?

With 4 of us it's already quite expensive doing 3 tours so probably just 1 tour would be most likely.

Any suggestions most welcome :)

Dubrovnik is a great DIY city. You don't need a guide there. Be sure to walk the walls of the city and see the Monastery and museum.

Dubrovnik is a great DIY city. You don't need a guide there. Be sure to walk the walls of the city and see the Monastery and museum.

There is far more to experience in Dubrovnik than just the wall. We have the Franciscan Monastery with the second oldest pharmacy in Europe, which is still working. There is the Rectors Palace museum along with the Sponza Palace with is dedicated to the Dubrovnik defenders from the 1991 Homeland war. And no Dubrovnik is a do it yourself town if you only walk the Stradun and buy a gelato. Want to learn about Croatian culture and history, then yes hire a private guide!

There is far more to experience in Dubrovnik than just the wall. We have the Franciscan Monastery with the second oldest pharmacy in Europe, which is still working. There is the Rectors Palace museum along with the Sponza Palace with is dedicated to the Dubrovnik defenders from the 1991 Homeland war. And no Dubrovnik is a do it yourself town if you only walk the Stradun and buy a gelato. Want to learn about Croatian culture and history, then yes hire a private guide!

I do agree that Dubrovnik is special. We didn't hire a guide and visited the Franciscan Monastery, Rectors Palace museum and exhibit regarding the war. In preparation for the trip, I purchased a guide book and used TripAdvisor to find key sites in the city. In my personal opinion a guide it not necessary.

Regarding Split, we did hire a tour company, can't remember the name, that took us on a tour of Trogir and the Imperial Palace of Split.