What exactly does a personal cruise consultant do?

rc1973

I'm not understand why many of you use a PCC instead of a TA.

Most TAs give some sort of extra perks.

PCCs do not.

I always was under the impression that a PCC is good if you are not very familiar with NCL or figuring out exactly what your options are.

As most CC posters are very well informed, I am wondering why any of you would choose a PCC over a travel agent.

PCCs do not.

I always was under the impression that a PCC is good if you are not very familiar with NCL or figuring out exactly what your options are.

As most CC posters are very well informed, I am wondering why any of you would choose a PCC over a travel agent.

I have always worked exclusively with one travel agent or another of a sort whether I book directly using an online big box agency or now with an individual travel agent. Some folks are simply more comfortable dealing directly with NCL and wanting to have a direct line to NCL vs when you work with a travel agent, that agent has to work with NCL on your behalf. There are benefits drawbacks to both approaches. I too will use NCL directly for certain cruises/situations (like booking a maiden voyage where plans can change).

Also, if it hasn't been already said, A PCC serves as a single point of contact for guests so they have one person to contact and work which consistently over time versus say calling up NCL's or big online agency's call center and getting a different customer service representative every time. Over time a good PCC will get to know your needs just like a personal travel agent. However, as already said, a good travel agent can offer additional perks in addition to and on top of what NCL already offers.

Edited by kylenyc

Make annoying phone calls at the most inopportune times...as if you're just going to book a cruise right then and there because they called.

LOL a few years ago I did just that..I was having a bad work day and I called my DH and said I need a survival thought I told him I would call back if you said yes. The DH said yes and I booked. It was random. I had a couple of good PCCs and a couple of not so good. I just asked the latest one to not call me as preferred emails only.

I got a call from a PCC.........ONCE. This was after we had taken two cruise within two years. They called about a month after I booked our third cruise. I told the guy this and for whatever reason he couldn't find our cruise in the system. This was after I gave him our booking number.:roll eyes:

Lesson learned...........I'm my own best PCC:D

PCCs do not.

My PCC calls me when there are upcoming steep price drops on last minute deals . 1 or 2 days before sailing . I don't think T.A. 's are privy to that info .

Edited by biker@sea

PCCs do not.

1) If I have any issue at all I do not need to call a TA who then needs to call NCL while I wait.

2) My PCC gets me close to 50% off my cruises and stacks all available offers for me, this is in addition to any outside discounts I qualify for.

3) My PCC knows fo deals and specials before TAs do and often these specials will sell out beforee a TA even knows about them.

4) I don't need to pay a TAs commission.

Mine was good until I wanted to transfer the booking to my TA.

He also told me he doesn't get full credit for the booking if it is transferred before 30 days

I have used both PCC and TA's and my consensus is they both make commission and when you are not booked they both contact you to try to get you booked. I would just rather work directly with the company in case there is problems. A direct company rep can always get you the quickest and most correct answer. At one point in America there was a TA on almost every corner now with the power of the internet those businesses are gone. However the cruise industry seems to be gaining momentum. It's your choice there really is not much difference except the person themselves. Make a choice if you don't like it try another route...

Joe (ICT Cruiser) going mobile from the CC iPhone app :-)

Edited by ictcruiser

A PCC is nothing more than a reservationist. Calling them a "Personal Cruise Consultant" is a clever strategy that NCL uses to help to create a personalized experience beginning at the pre booking point of contact.

Deffenition of A travel agency:

A travel agency is a private retailer or public service that provides travel and tourism related services to the public on behalf of suppliers such as airlines, car rentals, cruise lines, hotels, railways, and package tours.

So in other words a reservationist...

Joe (ICT Cruiser) going mobile from the CC iPhone app :-)

Because there isn't a decent TA in these parts? That's probably why I don't bother.

This is the 21st century man. A TA is going the way of the door to door brush salesman and the milkman. Catch up with the rest of the world and join us! It's a fantastic time to be alive.

Seriously. My PCC allowed me to carry over 1) my bonus Latitude points, 2) my OBC, and 3) a Kids Sail Free promo from our original booked cruise in Jan 2015, which we had to change to Dec 2014, and then we had to change it again to Nov 2014. None of those 3 perks were available on the Nov 2014 cruise when we made the final changes, but he carried them over anyways.

That's what a PCC can do for you that a TA cannot.

EDIT. It would have driven me nuts having to make the changes we were forced to do (due to my wife's unstable butchy* boss) and have to go thru a TA to do it. One point of contact - bing bang boom - and it's done.

* - intentionally misspelled.

EDIT 2 - our PCC even got us into the cabin we preferred, which was showing as unavailable to the world. A few keystrokes, bam, it's mine.

I find this SO interesting as my PCC is like a toddler--he only knows the word "No" and is adamant that nothing can carry forward...

I use both a PCC and a local travel agent. Both do similar jobs.

They both get commissions for their work, but when you use a local travel agent, those commissions stay in your local community where your travel agent is. They in return use those commissions in the local community which boosts the economy of your local community. If you use a PCC, those commissions go to that PCC who might not live in your community, so therefore you are boosting the economy of another city and state.

Just my two cents worth.

But you should go with who you think serves you best.

1) If I have any issue at all I do not need to call a TA who then needs to call NCL while I wait.

My TA calls NCL, waits the four hours on hold I would have if I had a PCC, then calls me AFTER she's gotten me the extra OBC or room upgrade in the case of a price drop.

2) My PCC gets me close to 50% off my cruises and stacks all available offers for me, this is in addition to any outside discounts I qualify for.

My TA offers OBC, gets me OBC or room upgrades for every price drop, and beats any price.

3) My PCC knows fo deals and specials before TAs do and often these specials will sell out beforee a TA even knows about them.

Next time your PCC gets a secret deal, post it on CC so we all know about it. Surely you've done this in the past, right?

TA's may impose an additional cancellation fee, but I've never met a TA who expects payment from the customer. If this happened to you, you got hit by a scammer.

My TA calls NCL, waits the four hours on hold I would have if I had a PCC, then calls me AFTER she's gotten me the extra OBC or room upgrade in the case of a price drop.

I NEVER wait on hold for my PCC EVER.

My TA offers OBC, gets me OBC or room upgrades for every price drop, and beats any price.

No one beats ANY price. That is just advertising hype.

Next time your PCC gets a secret deal, post it on CC so we all know about it. Surely you've done this in the past, right?

If I did that then it would not be a secret. That dos not change teh fact that PCCs get word on most specials long before a TA will.

TA's may impose an additional cancellation fee, but I've never met a TA who expects payment from the customer. If this happened to you, you got hit by a scammer.

What does that have to do with the fact you pay your TA a commission?

Ncl was nice enough to give us one without us asking ..... she likes to call a 6:50 on a sunday morning ..... to tell us about an amazing deal for a cruise we booked. But her deal was more than the original booking price!!! We dont want her .. we dont need her... someone else can have her. We nicely told her not to call anymore lol ...

I NEVER wait on hold for my PCC EVER.

Baloney. NCL is infamous for this.

No one beats ANY price. That is just advertising hype.

Wrong. My TA is from a warehouse club and they absolutely do. That's why I got $75 in refundable OBC paid for by the TA, not NCL.

If I did that then it would not be a secret. That dos not change teh fact that PCCs get word on most specials long before a TA will.

Wow. Unverifiable secret pricing from a PCC nobody else has ever gotten. Coincidentally, I happen to know there's a teapot orbiting the sun. Prove me wrong.

What does that have to do with the fact you pay your TA a commission?

I don't pay my TA a commission. NCL does. My TA passes part of the commission to me to get me lower prices. Does your PCC?

I'm sorry but these "reasons" are mostly non-sense.

Yes, one might get faster answer over the phone but it doesn't matter to me as a customer as I can send an email to my TA and not have to worry about it at all, they will inform me when they have dealt with NCL. Also I much prefer using email for clarity and records of what has been spoken.

PCC can not stack any other offers than TAs using NCL's TA system - my TA has been able to stack promotions stated unstackable here too. And while I may be feeding the troll here, frankly I think that something is left untold with the "close to 50% off" statement as those kind of discounts come usually only from CAS or similar (maybe combined with AARP etc) and hence are not because of your PCC but because of your own status (and expected revenues).

NCL informs all partners about changes, promos, etc in advance - that is how information seeps through here too. Claim about specials selling out before TAs would even know about them is, well, ...

You still pay the part in the price that would be paid as a commission to a TA, in your case NCL just keeps it making you even more profitable client.

Baloney. NCL is infamous for this.

Whatever makes you happy. I just email my PCC and the longest it takes her to call me back is about 30 minutes.

Wrong. My TA is from a warehouse club and they absolutely do. That's why I got $75 in refundable OBC paid for by the TA, not NCL.

Does not prove that they will ALWAYS do anything.

Wow. Unverifiable secret pricing from a PCC nobody else has ever gotten. Coincidentally, I happen to know there's a teapot orbiting the sun. Prove me wrong.

1st as well all know you can't prove a negative.

2nd all I said was that PCCs often get word of sales and specials before TAs do. That is especially true of the big box vendors. Sometims those specials are limited in quantity and can easily sell out before the TAs even hear of them. I would use your own silly 'prove me wrong' comment but...

I don't pay my TA a commission. NCL does. My TA passes part of the commission to me to get me lower prices. Does your PCC?

The key word is PART. You are silly if you think that you do not pay your TAs commission. Where do you think NCL (or any corporation) gets its money? Hint it is from its customers (YOU).

BTW it is fine and dandy that you prefer to use a TA, lots of people do. All I did was post the reason that many folks choose to utilize PCCs. They were all valid reasons. No need to start a foolish interwebs flame war over a matter of personal choice.

I'm sorry but these "reasons" are mostly non-sense.

Yes, one might get faster answer over the phone but it doesn't matter to me as a customer as I can send an email to my TA and not have to worry about it at all, they will inform me when they have dealt with NCL. Also I much prefer using email for clarity and records of what has been spoken.

Well gee Wally what do you think I do? I drop an email to my PCC and within 30 minutes she calls me.

PCC can not stack any other offers than TAs using NCL's TA system - my TA has been able to stack promotions stated unstackable here too. And while I may be feeding the troll here, frankly I think that something is left untold with the "close to 50% off" statement as those kind of discounts come usually only from CAS or similar (maybe combined with AARP etc) and hence are not because of your PCC but because of your own status (and expected revenues).

Actually yes they can. On a recent crusie I got several offers stacked (KSF, UDP, 10% harrahs discount, OBC, latitude OBC, free upgrade, and other). BTW, 'usually only", which is it? :)

NCL informs all partners about changes, promos, etc in advance - that is how information seeps through here too. Claim about specials selling out before TAs would even know about them is, well, ...

My PCC has called me on many occasions and let me book before the special was live. They do find out first.

You still pay the part in the price that would be paid as a commission to a TA, in your case NCL just keeps it making you even more profitable client.

Unless of course then give me that additional amount as even more discount. Which has happened!

As I said to the other person, it is all a matter of personal preference and it is fine for each to use what he prefers. No need to get into an interwebs fight over something so silly.

So far we're pretty happy with our PCC. He showed up on my FB page one day. Husband and I had been talking about another cruise so I gave him a call. My husband is old school so I asked the PCC if he could send us out a book. He did and that is what we pored over for a few weeks.

My PCC called to inform us of the BOGO sale they had going on and that it would end soon. He quoted us prices a few times before we finally did it. Without him sending out that book, I'm not sure we would have booked when we did.

He has called me back each time If he didn't pick up when I first called. We're cruising in September and then have another cruise to take before the end of Feb 2015.

Edited by janpo

I used a TA many years ago and not real impressed. Felt I was always calling her to find out things. Don't remember any great perks from her other than a bottle of wine(which I don't drink). I have noticed the US TAs seem to have more enthusiasm and ability to find deals compared to Canadian TAs. Not sure what the regulations are in Canada that seem to limit what perks they can offer but I found that Canadian TAs just offer very little other than dealing in Canadian funds and the occasional $50 OBC

I took a few year off from cruising due to circumstances and have used a PCC since and while not totally happy, it suits my purpose right now. He is a nice guy but not very proactive. I always end up calling him for price drops, or new sales to see if we qualify for.

Ours is wonderful, she always answers our questions. If she doesn't know the answer, she'll find out and call back.

When we're ready to book our next cruise, we call and ask for her.

Why do you have to ask for her? Don't you have a direct phone number for your PCC???

Currently working on fourth PCC.

First one was fantastic.

Second one gave me what I thought was a sweet suite price for upcoming cruise.

Third one called four or five times before disappearing completely.

Fourth one called to introduce himself. Said he would e-mail contact info.

Still waiting after two months.

Spoke with my PCC last night. I called him, left a message and he called me back within the hour.

We are past final payment and the message i left regarded hotels in Miami for the night before. He makes nothing on that call. He called me back, gave me a lot of info, we chatted and a half hour later ended the call.

I'm hoping he stays as helpful as he's been so far.