Current Passport "Glitch"

We are cruising at the end of this month and the party traveling with us has waited until about 6 weeks out to apply for new passports (their old passports were lost and/or expired).

A co-worker alerted me to a news story last week about the current glitch in the processing of passports. Just curious if anybody has recently applied for and received their passports. I'm trying not to stress but our friends don't appear to be too concerned and don't have time right now to bother with applying for a second set of certified birth certificates to have just in case their passports are stuck in the processing glitch.

We are cruising at the end of this month and the party traveling with us has waited until about 6 weeks out to apply for new passports (their old passports were lost and/or expired).

A co-worker alerted me to a news story last week about the current glitch in the processing of passports. Just curious if anybody has recently applied for and received their passports. I'm trying not to stress but our friends don't appear to be too concerned and don't have time right now to bother with applying for a second set of certified birth certificates to have just in case their passports are stuck in the processing glitch.

My granddaughter got hers back in less than 2 wks. in June. It was her first passport, so that usually takes a little more time. Glad I didn't spend the extra $'s to expedite it. We don't need it for another month though.

Gwen :)

My granddaughter got hers back in less than 2 wks. in June. It was her first passport, so that usually takes a little more time. Glad I didn't spend the extra $'s to expedite it. We don't need it for another month though.

Gwen :)

This is what the OP is talking about.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/07/24/334886736/u-s-database-glitch-delays-passport-visa-processing

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/07/25/computer-failure-delays-u-s-visa-passport-processing/

Edited by FLACRUISER99

I read about the glitch as well. I had to send in my passport for renewal last Friday. It takes 7-10 days to enter their tracking system so hopefully I can start tracking it next week.

Currently the Department of State website still says 4-6 weeks for routine processing as of today. I've generally found it to be quicker but that is their standard timeframe.

Hopefully the "glitch" doesn't hold it up... :rolleyes:

I read about the glitch as well. I had to send in my passport for renewal last Friday. It takes 7-10 days to enter their tracking system so hopefully I can start tracking it next week.

Currently the Department of State website still says 4-6 weeks for routine processing as of today. I've generally found it to be quicker but that is their standard timeframe.

Hopefully the "glitch" doesn't hold it up... :rolleyes:

Didn't realize there was a way to track the passports progress .. hopefully this glitch will turn out to be nothing ..

I mailed our renewal on July 1 and just received my passport this morning in the mail, still waiting on hubby's.

There was also a question on the application asking for your travel date. Hopefully that will help and your friends will get their passport in time.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

.... I'm trying not to stress but our friends don't appear to be too concerned .....

Since your friends are not too concerned you need to double your own stress about this.:rolleyes:

Personally, I would not concern myself one little bit about this.

I had about four weeks between cruises just recently. Paid the expedite fee, though

I probably wasted the money, and got it back in just two weeks after I sent out the

renewal. It was worth it for piece of mind, however. ;)

Also requested the little passport card. I will use that in ports of call now, instead

of my drivers licence. Though I use full passport on check in.

Edited by island lady

Didn't realize there was a way to track the passports progress .. hopefully this glitch will turn out to be nothing ..

Here is the link:

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp

I sent my renewal application last Thursday, 7/24, with tracking and it was delivered Friday, 7/25. Just checked the status now and it is in the system. Hopefully domestic passports are functioning normally.

Edited by aurelius180

Why would they need a second set? Am I missing that you need 2?

Edited by rphamh

Thank you. I thought I was missing something. This is the first cruise we are going on that I haven't had a passport for my daughter, buy only have one copy of the birth certificate. We leave Saturday, so I was scouring trying to find if I missed something where I needed mutiples.

If your friends aren't worried about it than you shouldn't be either. Not your problem to solve for them.

I got it back in just two weeks after I sent out the renewal. Also requested the little passport card. I will use that in ports of call now, instead of my drivers licence. Though I use full passport on check in.

I sent in my renewal at the end of June and also added the passport card since I go to Canada some and would rather not take the passport booklet every time.

Got the new passport back 9 days later, the card the following day, and the old passport a few days later. And that was even with the July 4 Holiday that week.

I hadn't even tried the tracking because I was expecting the whole thing to take a few extra days minimum because of the holiday.

Am now good for another 10 years.

I just completed my renewal form and it will go out in the mail tomorrow. It doesn't expire til Feb, but we're going on a cruise in Nov and Feb so I wanted to do it before our Nov trip. I have about 13 weeks til our trip, so plenty of time. Of course, I have my original BC too. I saw the story about the passports and visas also, but all it made me do is get my renewal app in the mail faster.

I should have included this tidbit in my original post ... We are picking up the tab for our friends to cruise with us. They've had a tough few years so we thought it would be fun to have them join us on our vacation. That is why I'm stressing a bit about the passport situation. They haven't cruised in 10 yrs and didn't realize they would be turned away at the port if their new passports don't arrive on time.

I have learned that what I tend to stress about usually turns out ok so I'm hoping this will be another one of those "happy endings."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are cruising at the end of this month...

...our friends .... don't have time right now to bother with applying for a second set of certified birth certificates to have just in case their passports are stuck in the processing glitch.

This month as in July? Eep!

They know they can't go without passport or BC, they aren't stressed about passport, and can't be bothered to get new certified BCs?

Are you sure they want to go? It's kind of the problem with picking up the bill for someone...never quite sure about their level of enthusiasm. (just did that with sending MIL and her friend on a cruise...never again!)