Price drop and a TA

Bimmie Girl

We are sailing Princess for the first time. We booked the cruise through a TA and mentioned that I am on these boards and if the price of our cabin drops before sailing, would she honor the price drop, and she said of course she would.

The price of our cabin dropped $400 total this weekend, so I called. She said that the $100 OBC she gave us upon booking would be disqualified, which I told her fine, because paying $400 less would more than make up the cost. She then informed me that, not only do I lose the $100 OBC but she can only discount our room a total of $175.98. I asked, per person right? she said no, total for the room, she has to get commision and I would be cutting into her commision. so we lose the $100, but got the room discounted $175 even though the cabin is now $400 less than what we paid? I am confused. It now means that we only saved $75.98????

If this is true and typical, I will never use a TA again and just book through the cruise line. DH said live and learn. What are you all experiences with TA and price drops? just curious:confused:

Our TA has not pulled anything like that. We have taken advantage of price drops a couple of times and not one of the "gifts" changed. She repriced and emailed a new booking confirmation showing the changes with no arguements.

I'm sorry that you are having a bad experience but all TAs are not equal, so shop around for a TA that you like and will go to bat for you.

Whenever I've seen price drops before the final payment date, my travel agent has been able to get me the new price (or less) and has never taken away any onboard credit.

Wow!!! really? The sad thing is, she knows that we are going to sail on an Alaska cruise 7 days land and 7 days sea in 2016 on Princess, so you would think she would be up and up with the discounts. Won't be using her or her company when booking that cruise. She just lost a big sale!!!

I have been booking through online TAs for about 10 years. Some have been better than others, but the cost has always been lower than if I had booked directly with Princess. I have only had one experience with a TA not matching a price drop or sale, as follows: Last March, I booked a Cat BE Balcony on a 20 day Transatlantic on the Emerald Princess for next April. The Princess fare was $5248 and my TA discounted that to $4736. Last month when I saw the Bucket Sale, I asked him if cancelling and rebooking would be of benefit. He wrongly said the Bucket Sale didn't apply to my cruise. I asked around and found another TA who said she could take my current booking and that I would also have the paid gratuities and OBC of the Bucket Sale. So now, I have the same cabin with a total fare of $4618, paid gratuities, additional OBC of $200, TA OBC of $50, and a bottle of wine.

I have been booking through online TAs for about 10 years. Some have been better than others, but the cost has always been lower than if I had booked directly with Princess. I have only had one experience with a TA not matching a price drop or sale, as follows: Last March, I booked a Cat BE Balcony on a 20 day Transatlantic on the Emerald Princess for next April. The Princess fare was $5248 and my TA discounted that to $4736. Last month when I saw the Bucket Sale, I asked him if cancelling and rebooking would be of benefit. He wrongly said the Bucket Sale didn't apply to my cruise. I asked around and found another TA who said she could take my current booking and that I would also have the paid gratuities and OBC of the Bucket Sale. So now, I have the same cabin with a total fare of $4618, paid gratuities, additional OBC of $200, TA OBC of $50, and a bottle of wine.

You did not get penalized cancelling with one TA to go to another? We don't sail until Feb. and I told her this would not be the only time I call her about a price drop.........

We are sailing Princess for the first time. We booked the cruise through a TA and mentioned that I am on these boards and if the price of our cabin drops before sailing, would she honor the price drop, and she said of course she would.

The price of our cabin dropped $400 total this weekend, so I called. She said that the $100 OBC she gave us upon booking would be disqualified, which I told her fine, because paying $400 less would more than make up the cost. She then informed me that, not only do I lose the $100 OBC but she can only discount our room a total of $175.98. I asked, per person right? she said no, total for the room, she has to get commision and I would be cutting into her commision. so we lose the $100, but got the room discounted $175 even though the cabin is now $400 less than what we paid? I am confused. It now means that we only saved $75.98????

If this is true and typical, I will never use a TA again and just book through the cruise line. DH said live and learn. What are you all experiences with TA and price drops? just curious:confused:

I would find another TA. With the number of price drops we've been able to take advantage of, not once have we have an issue with our TA making the adjustment for us. Of course, if we've booked during a sail where there are on board amenities, we could definitely loose them when being re-fared but more often then not it is worth it. I would ask to speak with his/her supervisor for further explanation of the pricing structure and why you aren't benefiting from the $400 price drop.

Wow!!! really? The sad thing is, she knows that we are going to sail on an Alaska cruise 7 days land and 7 days sea in 2016 on Princess, so you would think she would be up and up with the discounts. Won't be using her or her company when booking that cruise. She just lost a big sale!!!
If I read your original post correctly, you are saving $75.98 now over what it would cost you if you had booked directly with Princess after the $400 price drop. Is that right? Because if you're paying more than the price with Princess, you should either cancel this booking and book direct or transfer your booking to Princess.

If your rate dropped $400 , your TA has a right to reduce the amount of TA discount since it is coming from their comm.(appox 15% of commissionable cruise fare).

So they could have justified reducing the discount by only $60 .

Not knowing what your total TA discount was it is hard to say if that was fare?

But booking direct you would receive $0 TA discount so even the $75 was better than just the retail price by booking direct.

Edited by MCC retired

A good TA will not do what you described. Mine emailed me and ask if he can reduce the price of my room due to a new promotion, yes, the $100 OBC from Princess during the last promo is gone, but I save $400 in the room and the OBC from the TA didn't change...:D

You can save anywhere between 10-20% through a TA and NEVER pay more than booking directly through Princess.

You did not get penalized cancelling with one TA to go to another? We don't sail until Feb. and I told her this would not be the only time I call her about a price drop.........

Is the price drop for the exact same cabin catagory? Just go to Princess, book at the lower price and cancel the original booking. There should be no problem transferring from one TA to another, unless you foolishly booked with someone who charges for changes.

Is that a discount of $175.98 AFTER the $400 price drop? :confused:

btw, any "discounts" that a TA gives (above and beyond any group discount) comes directly out of their commission. I can see why some might be reticent to discount a reduced fare... less money in their pocket.

If your rate dropped $400 , your TA has a right to reduce the amount of TA discount since it is coming from their comm.(appox 15% of commissionable cruise fare).

So they could have justified reducing the discount by only $60 .

Not knowing what your total TA discount was it is hard to say if that was fare?

But booking direct you would receive $0 TA discount so even the $75 was better than just the retail price by booking direct.

I just sent my TA a letter to explain how it all works. Initially when I booked the price the TA quoted and Princess quoted were the same price, but the TA gave me $100 OBC, so we booked through her. I would not be heart broken about losing the $100 OBC. The price of the cabin on the Princess site is now $200 pp or $400 total for the cabin, cheaper than when we booked this cruise. I even asked the TA if she would honor price drops and she said of course she would. I was a little suprised that now that the cabin is $200 cheaper pp that she is only offering $175. total and not pp............I could understand if she reduced it $175 pp. I am just confused is all..............just trying to understand how this all works, because the way it stands now, we will never use a TA again.

Is the price drop for the exact same cabin catagory? Just go to Princess, book at the lower price and cancel the original booking. There should be no problem transferring from one TA to another, unless you foolishly booked with someone who charges for changes.

yes, absolutely the same cabin category. I did the mock booking on the Princess site. I have done this in the past with Carnival and booking Early Saver, so understand how to look up cabins and the categories and such. right now as it stands, it is costing more money booking through a TA than through the Princess web site. I am just trying to figure this all out and love this web site for booking future cruises. I really don't want to take money away from her, but I also don't want to pay more for the cruise because I did not book this on my own through the Princess site when that is what I have done in the past booking through Carnival site.

No penalty. I gave the new TA my booking number and she faxed a transfer request to the old TA. When they didn't respond in a couple of days, she called them.

Is that a discount of $175.98 AFTER the $400 price drop? :confused:

btw, any "discounts" that a TA gives (above and beyond any group discount) comes directly out of their commission. I can see why some might be reticent to discount a reduced fare... less money in their pocket.

what she told me over the phone is that is correct. I lose the $100 OBC and even though the price Total is $400 off now of our cabin category, she can only allow us $175.98 TOTAL. and not $175.98 pp. I specifically asked her.........you take away the $100 OBC and only reduce our total cabin fare $175 which means, we really only saved $75...........she told me that is correct, so we are paying more money for our cruise than what the Princess web site is quoting for our cabin category!! or we are paying $225 more for our cabin than the going rate. I told her to do that then............I am just asking if this is typical? because right now, we will not be using a TA to book any future cruises........they end up costing more money in the long run.....or at least in this case. Is this typical? anyone else had this happen to them?

Edited by Bimmie Girl

No penalty. I gave the new TA my booking number and she faxed a transfer request to the old TA. When they didn't respond in a couple of days, she called them.

Interesting. I don't mind TA getting a commision, but I don't like paying $225 MORE for our cabin than the going rate, so the TA makes a commision. I think I will start to look for another TA. Sad thing is she is not only going to lose this sale but we have another couple sailing with us that booked with her so she will lose that sale too, plus the cruise I had already told her about when we sail Alaska.

Edited by Bimmie Girl

I am somewhat confused by your posts.

If Princess is now quoting a significantly lower fare from what you are current booked with the TA, and you are eligible for that fare, and she will not match that, why in the world would you not just re-book with Princess, find a new TA (if you want to transfer the booking from Princess to a new TA) and cancel (assuming no cancellation penalties).

I am either really confused, or you are giving your TA way too much loyalty for this booking.:eek:

Before you transfer the booking, make sure you won't be charged for the cancellation by this travel agent. This "deal" does not sound very good for you, and I would hate to see you out even more money by moving the booking.

I am currently awaiting a confirmation on my price drop...after two emails and a phone call. This is after I saw the sale on Saturday and the agency was closed for the rest of the weekend. If I booked directly, I would have received the discount as soon as I caught it. For us, it's a saving of almost $600.

I'm not saying that it's a poor agent or agency. Some of us are control freaks that need to make sure it gets done asap! :o

I am somewhat confused by your posts.

If Princess is now quoting a significantly lower fare from what you are current booked with the TA, and you are eligible for that fare, and she will not match that, why in the world would you not just re-book with Princess, find a new TA (if you want to transfer the booking from Princess to a new TA) and cancel (assuming no cancellation penalties).

I am either really confused, or you are giving your TA way too much loyalty for this booking.:eek:

LOL don't blame you for confusion...........from what I am learning, I will be rebooking......the more I am reading the more I am learning. I will find another TA OR book through Princess. That is a given!!!

I just wanted to know if this is typical............? Do I find another TA? Do I book through Princess directly? Just trying to learn here, you all are helping ALOT!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! LOVE CC.

Again, assuming you have no cancellation penalty, I would grab the lower fare ASAP, with or without a new TA. Fares can change by the day (maybe even hour), and go back up. We have seen a price drop, they sell a few more cabins, and the prices go back up. Fare drops are not necessarily permanent.

You can always transfer your new booking to a new TA if you feel the need.

Good luck!

LOL don't blame you for confusion...........from what I am learning, I will be rebooking......the more I am reading the more I am learning. I will find another TA OR book through Princess. That is a given!!!

I just wanted to know if this is typical............? Do I find another TA? Do I book through Princess directly? Just trying to learn here, you all are helping ALOT!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!! LOVE CC.

The answer to your question above is.... NO

Your TA is poop.

Even if your current TA charges a cancellation fee, it's best to be rid of her. Book directly with Princess now to lock in the price. Then you can shop around for other TAs. It's easy to transfer a booking from Princess to a TA.

If your TA is charging $225 more to book through her than the cruiseline is charging, then it appears she is making her regular commission plus $225 free and clear. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. See if you can transfer the booking to Princess without penalty and at least get the Princess price. Then shop around for a better deal with a TA and transfer your booking to them.