Celebrity or Royal Suites on Equinox Advice Needed

absolutboy20

Hello all:

First time here posting in the Celebrity forum. We are looking at booking a Med cruise on the Equinox for next August and needed some advice on cabins from people who have cruised in these units.

I've looked at the ship layout on the Equinox, and both types of rooms are centrally located which is great. The Celebrity Suite from the diagram and pictures looks like a slightly smaller cabin than what we just had on Seabourn. The only negatives I see in the design of the one on Celebrity is that the separated bedroom area does not have a floor to ceiling clear window, but rather a half wall frosted window which does not appear to go down or slide away? It just seems like a waste to not be able to see the ocean from the bedroom in any way. The other downside was that the bathroom appears to only have one sink, which seems unusual for a suite.

The Royal Suite, looks FANTASTIC but there is a pretty significant price jump. I also don't see much more in added benefits in the service category?

As I'll be on a charter, the prices are not going to fluctuate with demand, and judging from my previous cruises the upper end and lower categories tend to sell out immediately, and sometimes requires us to be waitlisted.

So my questions are:

On the Celebrity Suite, I see some of them are physically angled rooms due to the hump on the balcony and entryway side. Does this make the room less desirable in terms of usable space?

A Royal Suite I can see why it's so much more with the amenities of the room, but am I missing anything anything in service compared with a Celebrity suite?

Thanks you all in advance.

Hello all:

First time here posting in the Celebrity forum. We are looking at booking a Med cruise on the Equinox for next August and needed some advice on cabins from people who have cruised in these units.

I've looked at the ship layout on the Equinox, and both types of rooms are centrally located which is great. The Celebrity Suite from the diagram and pictures looks like a slightly smaller cabin than what we just had on Seabourn. The only negatives I see in the design of the one on Celebrity is that the separated bedroom area does not have a floor to ceiling clear window, but rather a half wall frosted window which does not appear to go down or slide away? It just seems like a waste to not be able to see the ocean from the bedroom in any way. The other downside was that the bathroom appears to only have one sink, which seems unusual for a suite.

The Royal Suite, looks FANTASTIC but there is a pretty significant price jump. I also don't see much more in added benefits in the service category?

As I'll be on a charter, the prices are not going to fluctuate with demand, and judging from my previous cruises the upper end and lower categories tend to sell out immediately, and sometimes requires us to be waitlisted.

So my questions are:

On the Celebrity Suite, I see some of them are physically angled rooms due to the hump on the balcony and entryway side. Does this make the room less desirable in terms of usable space?

A Royal Suite I can see why it's so much more with the amenities of the room, but am I missing anything anything in service compared with a Celebrity suite?

Thanks you all in advance.

The Celebrity Suites that have angled balconies due to the being on the angle of th hump gives you a lager balconies than the other CS but the room itself is the same, the room has no weird angles despite what the floor map says.

Starting in May of 2015 when the new suite perks begin, if you are in a Royal Suite you get the added benefit of complimentary Premium Beverage Package, unlimited Complimentary MiniBar use, Unlimited Complimentary Specialty Restaurants and Complimentary Unlimited Internet; these are things you will not get with a Celebrity Suite.

Edited by rbuenger

On M class, I like CS, on S Class I prefer RS.

For me on S class to pick between CS and RS one needs to determine if these things are important:

• Whirlpool on veranda (RS only)
  • Dining Table in cabin (RS only though S class has one inside)
  • Separate "powder" bath for guests (RS though CS has access from hallway and master)
  • Separate shower in bathroom (RS - CS has shower/whirlpool tub combo)
  • Complimentary 2 bottles of liquor (RS)
  • Starting April 2015, RS will get unlimited specialty dining, unlimited internet, complimentary Premium Beverage package and sodas, waters and juices for free from mini bar, CS won't get these.

If the above are important, go RS, if you can do without, then CS it is.

As your cruise is after April 2015, then a large portion of the premium for RS is likely related to the internet, beverages and dining that come with new Suite Perks program roll-out.

The CS cabins inside I do not believe are actually angles as the deck plan shows, I know the RS and PH do not have the angle wall shown on deck plans, cabins are mass produced in cubic format.... though I am not 100% certain as I have not stayed in a CS, just been on one on a cabin crawl. I have stayed in the RS though a couple times and love it.

The window in the CS between bedroom and living do not open or move.

I find the CS quite "cramped" really, with the large sectional sofa and the bedroom is just big enough for bed and nightstands, giving it more of a closed in feeling.

I love suites, but honestly given choice of CS or RS on S class, I'd take RS. However, given choice of Aft Sky suite versus Celebrity Suite, I'd save my money and go for he aft corner sky suite, they feel quite open compared to the Celebrity suite, with all the same perks except, no Michael's Club access, which if on a charter may not factor in anyway (I was on an Atlantis Charter and Michaels was used for various events, not reserved for Suites).

EDIT: just noticed you are an Atlantis/RSVP person as myself... LOL.

If looking to entertain in the suite, I'd say the Celebrity suite would comfortably hold 10 or so for a gathering. I had 40 or so in a Royal, it was packed, but would say 25 would be comfortable. Sky suite, aft corner, 15 or so would be max (all without factoring in veranda, just inside cabin - to give a sense of size)

I ahd a Celebrity Suite on M class this March on the Atlantis cruise out of San Juan.

Edited by cle-guy

And yes you're right that the ocean cannot be seen from the bedroom due to the fixed frosted "window". Although honestly in a regular balcony cabin, or in the living room of the Celebrity suite, since you have to keep the door closed, at night you can't see a single thing except DARK. So mostly it's just the morning in bed where you'd miss an ocean view. Even sitting in the cabin by the window you can pretty much only see dark sky at night (light sky in the daytime :D ). Maybe I just don't spend enough time in bed during daylight hours to miss seeing the ocean from my bed. Hmmmmmm I may need to rethink that!! ;)

As mentioned the perks for Suites changes as of April 2015. All suites will get the private "suites only" restaurant. Celebrity Suites and above get the use of Michael's Club lounge 24/7 and Royal Suites and above get the beverage package and unlimited specialty dining. Since the "suites only" restaurant is an unknown at this point, I'm not sure how much the unlimited specialty dining is worth. Supposedly suites restaurants will have food not available in other venues, more locally sourced foods and items matched to the ports you're visiting. If it's as wonderful as it sounds, I'm not sure how often one would want to visit the specialty restaurants.

CURT the problem w/ the aft Sky Suite is no access to the private restaurant. Now to some that wouldn't matter, but it's part of why I'm not doing a SS on my TA. The restaurant is a big draw for some.

Edited by bighairtexan

I thought that the sky suites will have access to the private restaurant. They just won't have access to Michael's Club.

And yes you're right that the ocean cannot be seen from the bedroom due to the fixed frosted "window". Although honestly in a regular balcony cabin, or in the living room of the Celebrity suite, since you have to keep the door closed, at night you can't see a single thing except DARK. So mostly it's just the morning in bed where you'd miss an ocean view. Even sitting in the cabin by the window you can pretty much only see dark sky at night (light sky in the daytime :D ). Maybe I just don't spend enough time in bed during daylight hours to miss seeing the ocean from my bed. Hmmmmmm I may need to rethink that!! ;)

As mentioned the perks for Suites changes as of April 2015. All suites will get the private "suites only" restaurant. Celebrity Suites and above get the use of Michael's Club lounge 24/7 and Royal Suites and above get the beverage package and unlimited specialty dining. Since the "suites only" restaurant is an unknown at this point, I'm not sure how much the unlimited specialty dining is worth. Supposedly suites restaurants will have food not available in other venues, more locally sourced foods and items matched to the ports you're visiting. If it's as wonderful as it sounds, I'm not sure how often one would want to visit the specialty restaurants.

CURT the problem w/ the aft Sky Suite is no access to the private restaurant. Now to some that wouldn't matter, but it's part of why I'm not doing a SS on my TA. The restaurant is a big draw for some.

OOOOPS you're right. I'm getting my restaurant and Michael's club mixed up and honestly keeping that in mine I'm in total agreement w/ Curt re the aft Sky Suites.

The Celebrity suites are a lot more roomy seeming on the M class.

Sorry, I've got a sky suite and a celebrity suite booked and I plead confusion, meno-brain and lack of sleep.

Edited by bighairtexan

Sky suites DO get Suite Dining, just no Michael's Club.

Suite Perks FAQ:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

I know my suites! :D

What happened to the restaurant renderings?

From the suite class information

When will renderings of the new Suite Class exclusive restaurant be available?

We anticipate May 2014.

Looks like August at least!

We just returned from the Equinox where we had a CS. Prior to this cruise we had booked the RS. IMHO even with the new suite perks going into effect next April the RS is not worth it unless you receive a really good price. We came home from this trip, did the math and moved from an RS to an angled balcony CS on our next two cruises.

For us the plus of the RS is the nice larger bathroom and the extra half bath. We found the dining and bar area a waste along with the jacuzzi tub on the balcony which takes up too much space. If you are going to do a lot of entertaining then the bar/dining area will be nice.

We had the angled CS on the a Equinox and it was plenty large enough and the balcony was nicer than the RS due to space.

If your cruise was as port intensive as our Med cruise you will find that you're not in the cabin that much. That was our reason for trying a CS on this cruise. Glad that we did.

I have photos of the CS in my Equinox photos and RS photos in my Reflection photos. Link below under countdown clocks.

Edited by cruisingator2

Agh! Having to relearn all of the acronyms for the ship classes and room designations since this is a new board for me! =)

Those additional perks that will be offered for RS perks sound pretty spectacular. It's correct that I am looking at an Atlantis charter. So the question becomes how much of those additional perks will translate over. Usually anything along the lines of services offered through the room categories is honored, with other additional items such as unlimited beverage packages being pulled, which I suspect is done at the request of the chartering company.

I also was looking at the layout of the ship and noticed some of the rooms that I am looking at appear to be right under the pool deck area. In the past, I've heard complaints on other cruise lines where it can get quite noisy from lounge chairs being dragged particularly in the morning when they are setting up. Is this an issue?

The cruise is going to be port intensive so I do need to keep that mind.

Edited by absolutboy20

Agh! Having to relearn all of the acronyms for the ship classes and room designations since this is a new board for me! =)

Those additional perks that will be offered for RS perks sound pretty spectacular. It's correct that I am looking at an Atlantis charter. So the question becomes how much of those additional perks will translate over. Usually anything along the lines of services offered through the room categories is honored, with other additional items such as unlimited beverage packages being pulled, which I suspect is done at the request of the chartering company.

I also was looking at the layout of the ship and noticed some of the rooms that I am looking at appear to be right under the pool deck area. In the past, I've heard complaints on other cruise lines where it can get quite noisy from lounge chairs being dragged particularly in the morning when they are setting up. Is this an issue?

The cruise is going to be port intensive so I do need to keep that mind.

My Celebrity Suite (CS) was on the M-Class (millennium class, or smaller than the Equinox Ships, S-Class, SOLSTICE class) top deck with cabins, and had pool deck above me. I never heard anything other than the wheels of laundry carts as they drug them across every couple hours, and it wasn't bothersome, to me anyway. Don't recall a single scraping chair. The chairs along the cabin side I think are pretty much always there, its the ones around the pool that come and go for party times.

If you get a royal, on an atlantis charter, I think you will get unlimited beverages etc, as that is indeed a cabin perk, not a general perk.

and SS=Sky Suite, Celebrity's "Junior Suite" if you will, 1 room just larger, not separate bedroom.

My real question is, can you actually still snag a suite via Atlantis? They usually go FAST, I lucked on to mine last minute as a cancellation.

Yes, you do get those perks with the Celebrity Suite

Refer to page 2 of the Suite Perks FAQ:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Only Royals and above get unlimited specialty dining, beverages, minibar, internet etc.

Celebrity Suites do not, they get Suite Dining room and Michaels but not many of the other perks.

The difference between Celebrity and Sky is basically adding in Michael's, then up to a Royal adds all the other things.

As has been mentioned it comes down to value vs importance of perks. We've found the on the cruises we're doing the upgrade cost roughly between $1200 and $1400 / week more than CS ($600-$700/person) with the difference being less for cruises that are longer. For us, we figure that makes sense, but we look at it both ways, and it depends on whether it is an M-Class or S-Class and what the itinerary is and how long we’re onboard.

It would be different for a charter as I think some of the OBC and Grat perks would definitely be different, but here is how it works out for us that may be helpful to some:

$200 on internet (after our free 180 minutes free, though this will be 400 after our next cruise)/week. For some cruises I’ve spent $500 in 10 days while I work. Still more fun to work onboard then at home ;)

$224 savings in Gratuities because we don't need to drink package, we select 123Grats instead of the drink package our TA gives us extra OBC since they're not paying for our grats which they always have before additional OBC

$161 We don't have to spend to upgrade our beverage package from Classic to Premium (this may not be as important with Michael's Club now, but we have no used it, it's easier to have premium, by the pool, or at dinner to just order the Perrier, or drink you like)

$100 Savings (at least) for an extra night in a specialty restaurant (maybe not as important with the new suite restaurant, TBD

$100 in extra OBC from our TA for the more expensive Cabin

One thing I think I didn't see mentioned was the Royal Suite also has a complimentary restocked mini bar (Beer, water and soda). Savings for us is at least $25/week in water and soda or avoiding running out to have it free.

Total is about $1000/week that we don't spend or have to spend on other things like the spa. For $400/week more we'll take the extra space and being able to eat inside in our robes for dinner after a long port day without having to worry about the weather.

We do spend more onboard on wine and at the spa then most people publically have stated here, but this will definitely drive down our onboard spend, and mean we’ll take some of that OBC home, unless of course I don’t fare well at the tables, but I still don’t think I could spend it ALL. When we’re getting at least $1000/week of OBC from our TA.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Jenna

I think everyone has their own calculation for the value of the new suite perks. Our calculation is very different from yours. We book early to get the suite we want and, so far at least, not at the time the 123-go offer has been available. We make little use of the Internet. However, we will make a greater saving on specialty dining.

However, there is one other potential "benefit" that it is not yet possible to quantify - at least from our point of view. From memory, the new suite dining room is going to have "250 specially selected wines" available. What is not clear is whether all of these will be covered by the complimentary Premium Beverage Package. Currently the Premium Beverage Package does not work for us because we do not enjoy the wines offered by the glass. [it is not that we are wine snobs but, rather, that we find the wines offered by the glass are more to the American taste than ours.] It will make a huge difference to our cruise budget if there is a greater selection available by the glass.

Of course the calculations varies by person, and that calcualtion was an example of the larger end of the difference for us. Sometimes it has been less. We've booked many of our cruises far in advance (through April 2016) onboard, which provides an onboard booking OBC incentive, PLUS 123. We then have always transferred to 1 or 2 different travel agents for additions, significant, extra OBC, because, why not? If cruise prices rise, we may as well get some back.

I highly doubt there will be more than the normal amount of wines available as part of the premium package in the new suite restaurant. There may be some different wines, but no way could they do 250 wines by the glass. We fully expect to continue to buy nice bottles of wine to get what we want. With the premium package we get with the RS, we also get 20% off of every bottle, not just a couple of coupons (captains club benefit) for 15-20% off. As I said, bottles of wine is another reason why OBC is imptant to us.

We sail with access to Michaels in just over 3 weeks, and this may change our feelings some too, we'll see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We just returned from the Equinox where we had a CS. Prior to this cruise we had booked the RS. IMHO even with the new suite perks going into effect next April the RS is not worth it unless you receive a really good price. We came home from this trip, did the math and moved from an RS to an angled balcony CS on our next two cruises.

For us the plus of the RS is the nice larger bathroom and the extra half bath. We found the dining and bar area a waste along with the jacuzzi tub on the balcony which takes up too much space. If you are going to do a lot of entertaining then the bar/dining area will be nice.

We had the angled CS on the a Equinox and it was plenty large enough and the balcony was nicer than the RS due to space.

If your cruise was as port intensive as our Med cruise you will find that you're not in the cabin that much. That was our reason for trying a CS on this cruise. Glad that we did.

I have photos of the CS in my Equinox photos and RS photos in my Reflection photos. Link below under countdown clocks.

I agree with you. The RS are wonderful but the generally huge difference in the price is not worth it unless you need to be online constantly, drink an enormous amount(to take advantage of the free package) and plan to have large gatherings in your room. We would book the CS over the RS nearly every time, unless of course we win a lottery sometime soon!!!:D:D

However, there is one other potential "benefit" that it is not yet possible to quantify - at least from our point of view. From memory, the new suite dining room is going to have "250 specially selected wines" available. What is not clear is whether all of these will be covered by the complimentary Premium Beverage Package.

I think that the perk keeps the name Premium Beverage Package in it, means it will follow same rules and custom as the package offered ship wide.

I also think we can be 99.99% sure, given how X seeks additional revenue streams, they wont be offering the fancy wines within the package, but will be offering at fee as they currently do. Good thing with Premium Package, bottles are 20% discounted...

Further, I do not imagine they want to have 250 bottles popped awaiting someone to purchase a glass under the package, there weren't even that many sitting around with the Enomatics running.

They definitely want to sell bottles in the Suite Dining room, I'd say.

I wonder if they;ve discovered the best users of Cellar masters were Suite Guests anyway, thus they are giving Suite Dining a great wine list...as Cellar Masters slowly dwindles down to nothing and disappears....