Breakaway - Pier 88 - Could we walk?

douglasap8

Can you walk to the pier from a hotel, or can you only drive to that area? For instance, if we stayed around 48th street, between 10th & 11th ave. It appears it's only a half mile away...but just not sure you can get there by foot.

I wanted to walk too...but a fellow cruiser on my roll call thread from NYC told me this:

"I don't think you'd want to walk to the pier. The pier is over by 12th Ave and you have to go up a ramp. It would be long walk with your luggage. A taxi to the pier from a Manhattan hotel is likely under $20 (depending upon the location of your hotel). However, upon disembarkation, you walk out of the terminal directly to the street."

So now I don't know about walking...

I wanted to walk too...but a fellow cruiser on my roll call thread from NYC told me this:

"I don't think you'd want to walk to the pier. The pier is over by 12th Ave and you have to go up a ramp. It would be long walk with your luggage. A taxi to the pier from a Manhattan hotel is likely under $20 (depending upon the location of your hotel). However, upon disembarkation, you walk out of the terminal directly to the street."

So now I don't know about walking...

wow if he was NYC he has never been there. They open up a walk in entrance at street level and there are elevators up. You don't need to walk up the ramp and in fact I think they don't allow you to walk up the ramp anyway

https://maps.yahoo.com/place/?lat=40.76773668527498&lon=-73.99641752243042&t=h&bb=40.77204312546726%2C-74.00262951850891%2C40.7634299659905%2C-73.99022698402405&addr=711%2012th%20Ave%2C%20New%20York%2C%20NY%2010019

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.768063,-73.996011,3a,90y,291h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skAo-RXA3GPG7BWy1KkKNiQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

http://www.directionsa-b.com/Street-View-Maps/lndex.html?search=711%2012th%20avenue%20New%20Yor,%20NY

you will need to scroll down a little as I think the link is pier 92 at 52nd street but the other piers are the same. They open the gates when the ship is in...

Edited by smeyer418

wow if he was NYC he has never been there. They open up a walk in entrance at street level and there are elevators up. You don't need to walk up the ramp and in fact I think they don't allow you to walk up the ramp anyway

https://maps.yahoo.com/place/?lat=40.76773668527498&lon=-73.99641752243042&t=h&bb=40.77204312546726%2C-74.00262951850891%2C40.7634299659905%2C-73.99022698402405&addr=711%2012th%20Ave%2C%20New%20York%2C%20NY%2010019

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.768063,-73.996011,3a,90y,291h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skAo-RXA3GPG7BWy1KkKNiQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

http://www.directionsa-b.com/Street-View-Maps/lndex.html?search=711%2012th%20avenue%20New%20Yor,%20NY

you will need to scroll down a little as I think the link is pier 92 at 52nd street but the other piers are the same. They open the gates when the ship is in...

This is awesome! Thanks so much! I was hoping it would really be that easy...as long as we can handle our luggage, this looks like a pretty easy walk. :)

Hi,

Like smeyer418 said, there is an freight elevator from street level to the drop-off level to give your luggage to porters.

About walking, you are 2 avenue away from the pier..yes easy walk...IF...the weather is nice and you can easily roll your luggage. Do not expect to roll those 4 wheel type luggage on NYC sidewalk and street...you need beefy wheels :p

A taxi ride would be 5$ or 7$...the trick is to have the cabby drop you across the Pier on 12th avenue...NOT do the line and drive IN the Pier ( could be 30 minutes depending on traffic )... unless you have him arrive on 55th or 59th street and avoid all the traffic.

Have fun !

Thanks all! We'll have two young kids with us. I'm really just trying to avoid a taxi without carseats. I think we'll have a stroller, so walking shouldn't be an issue...at least less of an issue than the taxi! :D

In any NYC Livery Car (taxi or car service) car seats are not required. Strange exception to the law...

Also when you get to the pier you can give your bags to the Porters on street level, you do not have to take them up the elevator. They will confirm that you are departing or just mention that. QED!!

In any NYC Livery Car (taxi or car service) car seats are not required. Strange exception to the law...

quote]

I know they aren't required, but I just wanted to avoid the situation anyway. We'll hire a car service (with car seats) from the airport to Manhatten and after the cruise back to the airport, but wanted to avoid another leg if we could just walk!

Won't you have to get all the way from the airport to the hotel without a car seat?

Yes, but we'll hire a car service with car seats for that portion (and back). I just wanted to avoid having to do that for a few blocks.

Yes, but we'll hire a car service with car seats for that portion (and back). I just wanted to avoid having to do that for a few blocks.

Whew. That's good. Please report back if everything works out. We often have parents inquiring about the carseat issue. It would good to have a go to provider that offers the carseats.

Which hotels have good access to pier that's an easy walk?

Depends on your definition of "an easy walk". But there are at least 100 hotels within 1/2 mile of the pier. Zoom in on Google maps or do a search by neighborhood on any hotel booking site to see what might work for you.

When do you need a hotel? Aug 16? Budget? Number of people? Plans in NYC? If you get a hotel on 11th Ave near the pier, then it's a hike over to Times Square and further east to midtown to see the sights. If you have time to wander around the day you arrive and the next morning, you might be happier in a more centrally located hotel taking a cab to the port.

I would suggest staying at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weekhawken, NJ. The ferry departs right in front of the hotel and goes to Pier 80 in midtown. Then it is an easy 10-minute walk up the "Hudson River Greenway" to Pier 88. You don't even have to deal with the city streets. The Sheraton will likely be cheaper than anything you'd find in midtown Manhattan.

Edited by johnnypiano

Do not expect to roll those 4 wheel type luggage on NYC sidewalk and street...you need beefy wheels :p

Spinners can be pulled on two wheels if needed, best luggage ever, won't go without. :D

Which hotels have good access to pier that's an easy walk?

Best Western Plus President, Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West are both on W 48th Str. Comfort Inn Midtown West is too.