Said No to the Upgrade Fairy

NYDee

Just found out by accident that we had been upgraded from a D1 to Jr. Suite. However, we wanted the D! we chose. It is 9526 with the wrap around balcony. So we asked to get our old cabin back and gave up the Jr. Suite. Hope we don't regret it. Sure would be nice to have the extra room. But we love the aft balconies.

Dee, I totally understand! If you'd been upgraded to JS 1100 or 1602, you would be nuts not to do it (they're also aft), but any other JS has a pretty small balcony comparied to what you have in 9256. I think I would rather have any aft D-1 on a Radiance class ship over a side JS. The extra space of the JS is wonderful, but those aft balconies can't be beat!

Enjoy the great outdoor space!

We had 1688 (D1) On the Adventure a few years ago. Later our TA got us an upgrade to Cat. B suite. We jumped at the chance. The concierge was wonderful, but I really regretted giving up the larger balcony. The cat. B balcony was very long and very narrow--not really enjoyable. 1688 would have been smaller cabin without the perks, but I think I would have enjoyed it more. Since then, we've always had aft balconies.

Tracey

If we had been upgraded to the Grand Suite, I might have taken it. We are not in the cabin that much, except to sleep. We are either on the balcony, or elsewhere on the ship, or in port. I didn't really think the extra cabin and bathroom space was worth giving up a balcony I had been planning on 17 months, that is how long ago we booked it. This is our fourth aft cabin and I will have a hard time going back to a side cabin. We have afts on the next 2 cruises we have booked. One on RCI and one on Oceana. By the way, the cruise is on the Baltic, on the Jewel leaving Harwich on 8/19.

Do you know yet if you got your old cabin back? Most likely someone really wanted that aft cabin that you had. Possibly you could have even asked for a higher Suite and got it if that someone they were getting that cabin for was a very important person in the eyes of Royal Caribbean.

Jimbo:)

If the upgrade fairy plans a visit - when does it typically happen? Is it true that the earlier you book the better chance you have of a suprise upgrade? Do they automatically upgrade you or do they contact you first?

Is it true that the earlier you book the better chance you have of a suprise upgrade?

Since our first cruise we've always booked over a year in advance for all our future cruises. So far, no upgrade fairy for us. However, as it turns out most of our cruises have either been sold out of very close to sold out with the open cabins more than a catagory above ours.

Personally, I take some time picking out the cabin location we want. While it might be nice to have a larger suite, I would be hesitant to take it if the location wasn't what I wanted.

It's a crap shoot. We were upgraded at the pier. They told us our room number while we were checking in and we argued with them. The silly dilly behind the counter didn't tell us it was an upgrade. Duh.

Finally another person was called over and he explained we had been upgraded to a Royal Suite.

It does happen.:D

celtic

It's a crap shoot. We were upgraded at the pier. They told us our room number while we were checking in and we argued with them. The silly dilly behind the counter didn't tell us it was an upgrade. Duh.

Finally another person was called over and he explained we had been upgraded to a Royal Suite.

It does happen.:D

celtic

While I'm somewhat particular about cabin location, THAT'S and upgrade I'd be will to take. You know, just because RCI really needed my old cabin. ;)

As for going from a outside to a balcony, that's also an upgrade I'd take no matter what the new cabin location was. We really prefer a balcony and I try not to book a cruise where I can't afford to have one. I suppose there would be exceptions to that rule but in most cases I'd be very happy to have the balcony.

Do you know yet if you got your old cabin back? Most likely someone really wanted that aft cabin that you had. Possibly you could have even asked for a higher Suite and got it if that someone they were getting that cabin for was a very important person in the eyes of Royal Caribbean.

Jimbo, Yes, we do have our old cabin back. At least that is what the TA said. I did tell her we would consider an upgrade to a Grand. But who knows when we get to the port. DH isn't sure I did the right thing. I am concerned about the overhang. We were on the Sky Deck on Celebrity Infinity and hated the overhang. We will be Diamond members after this cruise with RCI. We have always sailed Vision class until our last cruise which was on Navigator, and an aft on Deck 9. Then an aft on our other Celebrity Infinity cruise.

The over hang isn't much at at all, you will get plenty of sun on that balcony.

You know you can check your reservation online on the rccl.com site.

Your cabin number will be listed there. "Before you Board" .Online Check-in Section"

NYDee,

I would have a hard time changing from 9526.... I must say that I am addicted to the aft cabins now, and now book my cruises around them. We will be back in 8672 on the Brilliance in Jan 2006 ( thanks Jimbo) and have 8088 booked on the Rhapsody for a back to back in Jan 2007. Actually we have almost the entire back of the Rhapsody booked in Jan on our first cruise. What cabin did they offer you?

Jimbo,

He sure hated to admit that he loved the Brilliance 8672..... but when we booked her for this next year..... his first question was "Is the cabin that we are in now available?"

Jimbo, the overhang worries me not because of the sun. But I couldn't see the sky on Infinity. I just saw the horizon. There was a beautiful full moon and all we could see was the reflection on the water. And I felt kind of like I was in a cave.

Dee,

Rest assurred that you will be able to see the sky....Radiance class balconies step back so that you have less than half of the balcony covered...your view will be wonderful!. Here are pics of Cabin 1100 Brilliance which is just above your cabin....notice the balcony picture shows the overhang...yours will be similar:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debandbill25/album?.dir=ed4e&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.sbc.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Breathe easy!

• 1 month later...

We had a similar corner aft booked (15 months in advance) for our 12 day Med trip and were offered an upgrade to a JS. We said yes but I wonder if we made the right decision. They placed us on the 10th level with a massive overhang above us.

My wife says we should knock on the door of our original cabin and see if we can take a peek at it.

I guess we will see if it was wise when we get on board.

NB.

How did you find out about the upgrade - do they call and ask before doing it or can they just upgrade and you find out when you get there?

I'm curious - if you have two rooms booked is there still a chance they would upgrade one. The rooms are across the hall from each other, not adjoining.

Upgrades sound nice but I can understand wanting the room you picked if you picked it for a reason.

You didn't say what ship you are on, but I think you made the right decision. 10 days is a long time to be in a D category. We were on the top deck (10) on the Serenade and actually enjoyed having the overhang to shield us from the sun. It was especially nice in the mornings for breakfast.

Archived