Freedom of the Seas drydock

18.1 was its average reported speed from Coco Cay to Jamaica.

Look at the pics I posted of the screen shot.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

I didn't click on the pic - probably too small for my old eyes to read anyways. I'll go to marine traffic and take a peek

Destination FALMOUTH [JM] 

ETA 2015-02-04 14:45 UTC

Last Known Port CAPE CANAVERAL [uS] (2015-02-01 22:04:00)

Previous Port NASSAU [bS] (2015-01-31 19:24:00)

Draught 8.7m

Speed recorded (Max / Average) 18.1 / 18.1 knots

Info Received 2015-02-04 11:50 (15 h, 59 min ago)

Draught 8.7m

That's what the picture was. Thanks for posting it this way.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Look at the pictures. The average speed was 18 knots. They slowed down to 13 knots prior to coming into Jamaica. Marine traffic showed same info as found earlier this morning. There is no reason to speculate until Saturday evening/Sunday morning. If she doesn't make it back on time, or cuts Cozumel short and makes it back in time, then you know your answer.

I am confident that RCCL will handle the engine issue better than thy did the last 3 months prior to dry dock as they knew the problem was going to be addressed. Now they will need to address it or loose out on revenue and additional bad press. Either way, if it's slow it doesn't bother me. I have always picked my cruise primarily due to the ship and then select dates, if avail, based on itinerary.

There is no reason to be concerned. It's like being worried about a hurricane coming. You can't do anything about it, and worrying does nothing but expend energy on something you can't change.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin.

I'm not worried about whether the ship is slow for my cruise or we miss ports -- I'm just worried about it coming into Port C very late and having another nightmare embarkation like the folks had on the last 2 day cruise before Drydock for my cruise.

Edited by SherriZ366

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin.

I'm not worried about whether the ship is slow for my cruise or we miss ports -- I'm just worried about it coming into Port C very late and having another nightmare embarkation like the folks had on the last 2 day cruise before Drydock for my cruise.

I think a lot of delay issues will be resolved too with the new terminal. We shall see, as I wonder if Sunday's crew will embark at the new terminal. I know it has our 2/15/15 cruise going out of there.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

I am booked on the 2/8/2016 cruise. My husband and I both got a phone call today and this email. Looks like it's the new terminal for FOS. Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your sailing onboard Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Please note that check in for your cruise will take place at 9050 Discovery Road Terminal 1, Port Canaveral Florida. This is a new terminal and cannot be located on a GPS or maps program at this time. However, there are signs at the pier will guide you to the correct location, terminal 1. Please note that this address and terminal differs from the address on your Set Sail Pass, which contains incorrect information. The correct address above can also be found in your guest ticket booklet. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I am booked on the 2/8/2016 cruise. My husband and I both got a phone call today and this email. Looks like it's the new terminal for FOS. Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your sailing onboard Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Please note that check in for your cruise will take place at 9050 Discovery Road Terminal 1, Port Canaveral Florida. This is a new terminal and cannot be located on a GPS or maps program at this time. However, there are signs at the pier will guide you to the correct location, terminal 1. Please note that this address and terminal differs from the address on your Set Sail Pass, which contains incorrect information. The correct address above can also be found in your guest ticket booklet. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Enjoy your cruise. We can high five as you come off and we go on.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

According to Marine Traffic, she averaged 18 knots all night long, and she only needs to do about that again tonight. This question won't get answered until Friday night/Saturday when we see what speed she can make coming back from Cozumel.

Yep!

Hello! My name is Kevin.

I am on that cruise as well and I also got the phone call and email.

Good Morning from Georgetown Grand Cayman. We left Falmouth during dinner last night, around 645 PM. We were supposed to arrive in Georgetown this morning at 800 AM, but actually arrived a little early. Last tender from shore today is 315 PM and we should be headed towards Cozumel around 330 PM. We were doing 18.5 kts for most of last night and were up to 18.9 kts this morning when I woke up. No word on any arrival or departure time changes. Tonight is the Top Tier Welcome Back reception and I'll try to ask the question about arrival back in Port Canaveral. I have an early flight out of Orlando, so I have a vested interest in an on time arrival.

On a side note. Navigator of the Seas was supposed to dock in Falmouth yesterday, but couldn't, due to sea state and winds. We were able to dock, even without the Fixipod in operation.

I'm glad all of the Cancellation posts seem to have ceased. There has been absolutely no indication of canceling any future cruises.

Good Morning from Georgetown Grand Cayman. We left Falmouth during dinner last night, around 645 PM. We were supposed to arrive in Georgetown this morning at 800 AM, but actually arrived a little early. Last tender from shore today is 315 PM and we should be headed towards Cozumel around 330 PM. We were doing 18.5 kts for most of last night and were up to 18.9 kts this morning when I woke up. No word on any arrival or departure time changes. Tonight is the Top Tier Welcome Back reception and I'll try to ask the question about arrival back in Port Canaveral. I have an early flight out of Orlando, so I have a vested interest in an on time arrival.

On a side note. Navigator of the Seas was supposed to dock in Falmouth yesterday, but couldn't, due to sea state and winds. We were able to dock, even without the Fixipod in operation.

I'm glad all of the Cancellation posts seem to have ceased. There has been absolutely no indication of canceling any future cruises.

Strange that Freedom could dock and not Navigator, basically the same design :confused:

Strange that Freedom could dock and not Navigator, basically the same design :confused:

I believe the Freedom Class was built with more powerful Azipods, Fixipod and Bow thrusters. I know Capt Johnny told us on the Allure that the Oasis Class can handle docking in higher winds than any of the other RCI ships.

Look at the pictures. The average speed was 18 knots. They slowed down to 13 knots prior to coming into Jamaica. Marine traffic showed same info as found earlier this morning. There is no reason to speculate until Saturday evening/Sunday morning. If she doesn't make it back on time, or cuts Cozumel short and makes it back in time, then you know your answer.

I am confident that RCCL will handle the engine issue better than thy did the last 3 months prior to dry dock as they knew the problem was going to be addressed. Now they will need to address it or loose out on revenue and additional bad press. Either way, if it's slow it doesn't bother me. I have always picked my cruise primarily due to the ship and then select dates, if avail, based on itinerary.

There is no reason to be concerned. It's like being worried about a hurricane coming. You can't do anything about it, and worrying does nothing but expend energy on something you can't change.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

When you live a few hundred feet from the ocean you do plenty to get ready for one of those visitors.

So thus far the port times have only been shortened by about an hour... Great to hear. We would actually be happy if Royal decided to send Freedom to Cococay instead of Labadee for the rest of the Western Caribbean itineraries, provided the fixipod isn't fixed by then. Thanks for the info Barklee! Keep updating us if you can!

Draught 8.7m

Looks like she made Grand Caymen ok today. 17-18 knots most legs reported.

According to Marine Traffic, she averaged 18 knots all night long, and she only needs to do about that again tonight. This question won't get answered until Friday night/Saturday when we see what speed she can make coming back from Cozumel.

I guess I know what I'll be doing Saturday while its barely above 0 here and my wife has an appointment.

I believe the Freedom Class was built with more powerful Azipods, Fixipod and Bow thrusters. I know Capt Johnny told us on the Allure that the Oasis Class can handle docking in higher winds than any of the other RCI ships.

Given that the generating capacity for the two ships is the same, I would venture a guess that both have the same propulsion units.

Looking at the chart for Falmouth (never having been there), I see that the cruise pier is unprotected from the sea. Depending on the prevailing wind and sea direction and strength, one side of the pier would be a lee, and the other would be open to wind and wave. With the ship lying against a lee pier, there could be excessive movement, causing problems with mooring lines and passenger gangways. This is probably why the two ships could not dock together, more than any difference in handling characteristics. First one there gets the better berth.

Given that the generating capacity for the two ships is the same, I would venture a guess that both have the same propulsion units.

Looking at the chart for Falmouth (never having been there), I see that the cruise pier is unprotected from the sea. Depending on the prevailing wind and sea direction and strength, one side of the pier would be a lee, and the other would be open to wind and wave. With the ship lying against a lee pier, there could be excessive movement, causing problems with mooring lines and passenger gangways. This is probably why the two ships could not dock together, more than any difference in handling characteristics. First one there gets the better berth.

Thanks for that very interesting information!