How's The Coffee?

Shellback801

I cannot speak for the Westerdam, but last year on the Noordam I found an urn of stronger roast ( can't remember what they called it...Premium, maybe..) up in the Lido at breakfast.

Definitely hotter and stronger that the normal swill, quite good, and I was sorry I did not find it till half way through the 10 days.

Poke around at all the coffee stations, you might find it

We have never spotted such an urn on or HAL cruises, but will certainly look (and ask) for it on our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. Like you, we enjoy stronger coffee. On HAL I normally drink double espressos (from Explorations) as a coffee substitute.

Hank

We have never spotted such an urn on or HAL cruises, but will certainly look (and ask) for it on our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. Like you, we enjoy stronger coffee. On HAL I normally drink double espressos (from Explorations) as a coffee substitute.

Hank

It was my first time finding it..it was with the other coffee machines, in one of the beverage sections.

This is almost as good as a smoking thread!

I make do with the specialty coffees in the Cafe too, and i also think Starbucks tastes burnt tho the lattes are ok, as the milk cuts it.

But I think the food is fine, and it has never been cold unless it is supposed to be - the fruit soups are very good -

You will have a good time and at least it will be more comfortable than the Navy ships used to be - think air conditioning, for one thing.

I read a couple of those smoking threads. I certainly won't be torching a stogie on the balcony as I had originally intended - don't want to start a mutiny.

As for the coffee, I'm sure we'll be just fine. Even if it was as bad as Navy coffee (and I've yet to try anything as bad as Navy coffee) we could drink Starbucks' VIA for a week.

I have no doubt that it'll be a terrific cruise. I mean, roaming the Caribbean while it's snowing sideways back home? What's not to like? :)

I can drink anything but Starbucks, and my favourite is Van Houtte medium blend (I don't particularly like Timmie's either - I guess that's blasphemy from a Canadian:o) - but on a cruise I really don't get hung up on the coffee. I can always drink wine instead.:D

I can drink anything but Starbucks, and my favourite is Van Houtte medium blend (I don't particularly like Timmie's either - I guess that's blasphemy from a Canadian:o) - but on a cruise I really don't get hung up on the coffee. I can always drink wine instead.:D

I don't like Timmy's either. My favorite is second cup. I'm amazed at what lengths people go for their coffee. I remember this guy telling me about his son being out of work and the issues he had about finding a job. Then he told me that his son had a blend especially made for him at Starbucks. It sounds so pretentious. If that were me I'd be more worried about getting a job than a special blend of coffee.

Edited by cruz chic

Regular coffee is terrible on HAL ships! This is my number one negative on every HAL cruise we take. On the other hand, the cappuccino is ok when ordered in dining rooms or restaurants. As for the exploration café, lattés are a hit or miss depending on the person making it. More often than none, the staff heats up the milk way too much which make the latté tasting funny.

Regular coffee is terrible on HAL ships! This is my number one negative on every HAL cruise we take. On the other hand, the cappuccino is ok when ordered in dining rooms or restaurants. As for the exploration café, lattés are a hit or miss depending on the person making it. More often than none, the staff heats up the milk way too much which make the latté tasting funny.

You must love Starbucks then since you have to ask for it hot:D. I like my latte very hot and it's never tasted funny.

You must love Starbucks then since you have to ask for it hot:D. I like my latte very hot and it's never tasted funny.

Personally, 145-150F is the ideal temperature.

As long as the milk doesn't reach 160F, I'm good with it.

The last time we were on the Maasdam, the coffee was always scorching hot!

Cheers!

:D

It is amusing that most coffee threads seem to include some element of Starbucks bashing (and now, I guess, Tim Hortons bashing as well). Just goes to show that taste is an individual and subjective thing.

Have to enter your Starbucks discussion - as a Seattle native have never liked Starbucks - too strong for my tastes! Enjoy the HAL coffee every morning from room service - esp. because I travel with my own coffee creamer - makes any coffee better!

So what's the deal with the coffee card in Explorations? Forgot about the bad-syrup coffee on cruises--it's almost the worst thing about cruising, second only to cigar smoking on balconies ;) . Haven't been on HAL for several years, and I don't remember how to do it.

Except for the occasional espresso, I don't drink coffee, so I can't be of much help. My wife does, however, and while she finds the Lido and main dining room coffee undrinkable, she finds the offerings at Exploration more than acceptable- but she likes Starbucks- so, what does she know?

Several cruises ago, we attended the "Ask the Captain" session with Hans Mateboer on Noordam, and the question of coffee came up.

He answered (paraphrasing here) that he watched the comment cards, and when the "coffee is too strong" comments about matched the "coffee is too weak" comments, he had it about as best as he could ... but he did admit he was always going to be blamed by most of the passengers. :rolleyes:

To add a completely subjective opinion, HAL, McDonalds, Seattle's Best, Tully's etc., etc. is nowhere close to _real_ coffee as served within 100 miles of Naples, Italy or possibly Rome. It is drinkable, and in fact much better than it ever used to be ... but it is NOT Italian coffee. Even the cappuncino in the Neptune lounge, Explorations Café or MDR are pale imitations of the real thing in Italy. But, I will drink it, as it is a whole lot better than U.S. restaurant coffee of my youth (and MUCH better than the 23-hour jamoke/carbon remover from the midwatch :D) How do I know? -- I lived in Naples for 6 years.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Does HAL use the syrup based coffee? If I missed it in a post, I apologize.

If memory serves me right, On the lido deck, you clearly see they use ground coffee beans. The same applies for caps and espressos in the tamarind and pinnacle.

Yes, beans on HAL. Much better than Princess, IMO.

Once I saw a steward in the Horizon Court (Princess' buffet) loading a huge sealed plastic bag of the syrup into one of the coffee dispensers. The plastic was see-through, so you were able to witness the brown muck in all its glory. Not a pleasant or appetizing site, to say the least!

Guess we have to disagree with the post about great coffee in Naples (or Italy). We love espresso (which is what most Italians drink as their coffee beverage of choice) and would agree that Italy has the best (it is why we buy Lavazza beans to make our espresso). But when it comes to a cup of coffee, we think the stuff in Italy is not very good. The Italians serve what they call "Café Americano" which is simply watered down espresso. Since most Italian restaurants/cafes do not even have a regular coffee maker, they simply add hot water to 1 or more shots of espresso. Although the brew is certainly very drinkable (and sometimes quite good) we do not consider it a great cup of coffee.

My home Espresso maker has a program to make Café Americano and we have experimented with different beans, strength, etc. And what comes out is similar to the Café Americano we get in Italy, which we do not think comes even close to coffee made in French Press.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner