Help- Think we've made a mistake

barb210

Hi

We've just put down a deposit on Celebrity Silhouette for November 2014. The ship docks at 7am in Fort Lauderdale and our flight back to the UK from Miami isn't until 8.50pm.

I think we made a mistake and should have booked Celebrity Reflection which goes out on Saturday and stayed overnight before the flight back on Sunday.

We are staying in Fort Lauderdale for a couple of nights pre cruise, does anyone know of any hotels that will let us use a room for the day especially if we book it for the pre cruise stay. The idea of hanging around Miami or Fort Lauderdale before a long haul flight in the evening doesn't appeal at all.

TIA

You might want to check to see if there is a shore excursion/airport transfer available. We ended our cruise in Miami and had a late flight in Ft. L. We did a shore excursion to the Everglades and then they brought us to the airport. It was a great way to spend the day and worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

We've just put down a deposit on Celebrity Silhouette for November 2014. The ship docks at 7am in Fort Lauderdale and our flight back to the UK from Miami isn't until 8.50pm.

I think we made a mistake and should have booked Celebrity Reflection which goes out on Saturday and stayed overnight before the flight back on Sunday.

We are staying in Fort Lauderdale for a couple of nights pre cruise, does anyone know of any hotels that will let us use a room for the day especially if we book it for the pre cruise stay. The idea of hanging around Miami or Fort Lauderdale before a long haul flight in the evening doesn't appeal at all.

TIA

You can try the hilton fort lauderdale Marina, they used to do this (but my info is dated)

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-fort-lauderdale-marina-FLLGRHH/index.html

I wish I could tell you otherwise but I sincerely doubt that you will find a hotel that will provide you with a day room post-cruise without charge on the strength of your having stayed with them pre-cruise... You might ask at the time of booking--and then, you might also ask if they would consider offering you a reduced rate for the post-cruise day as a secondary strategy--but I wouldn't count on getting an affirmative answer... Hotels are, first and foremost, a business and those in Southeast Florida surely do not lack for clientele at the height of tourist season...

As an alternative, you might consider looking at Celebrity's excursion offerings for the day you disembark... It is not uncommon for them to offer several post-cruise tours--one to the Everglades is particularly popular--that provide drop-off at both Fort Lauderdale and Miami Airports...

Hi last year we booked our flights and pre cruise hotel through Celebrity. Celebrity also booked the same hotel post cruise for the day as our flight was also not leaving until 8.50 pm. If you can I would try and call Celebrity and

see if you can change your flight to the 5.10p.m. because even with a hotel room for the day it was a really long day. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your suggestions.

XPort I wasn't thinking we could get a room for nothing. Fully intend to pay just thought the hotel might be more willing to let us have a day room for a fee if we had stayed there prior to the cruise.

We have booked our flights independantly so no choice to change to the earlier flight.

Will definitely look at hilton fort lauderdale.

Thanks again

We have found that the best thing to do is to rent a car in Fort Lauderdale, and as well as being somewhere to store the luggage for the day, you can make use of the car, to shop or visit Everglades etc. Then it can be returned to Miami Airport at no extra charge, at the time you need.

Ruth

Our last trip, we had a late flight. We rented a car and enjoyed the day at Hollywood Beach, leaving our bags in the car. Headed to the airport after a relaxing day and nice lunch.

The other great option is the excursion that drops you off at the airport. They keep your bags under the coach, and drop you at the airport.

Our last trip, we had a late flight. We rented a car and enjoyed the day at Hollywood Beach, leaving our bags in the car. Headed to the airport after a relaxing day and nice lunch.

The other great option is the excursion that drops you off at the airport. They keep your bags under the coach, and drop you at the airport.

Excellent choices. We've done both but prefer the car rental flexibility.

Hi

TIA

It might be a good idea to post this on the 'Ports of Call' section - I'm sure you would get an answer re Hotels. If you book a Celebrity excursion they still drop you off really early. We have also driven back to Miami Airport...never again it is a nightmare - what with the heavy traffic & trying to find our way to the airport ...never again!!

Rent a car for the day. It costs $15 to get to the airport and then you can rent a car there for probably $100 with taxes and insurance. With all that time- you could drive down to Key Largo and enjoy that. It's get! It's about a 1.5 hour drive each way and is a really fun.:) Weather will be ideal in November

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Will have to look into some different options as of course being a Sunday the shops won't be open til a bit later.

It's worth a try to ask the Sofitel Miami about a day room; I think that I've read that there is an opportunity with them. I know that you could get a Celebrity transfer to MIA; from there, the Sofitel would have a free shuttle. Of course, the rental car idea is great, if you want to go that route. But, since you inquired about a hotel's availability, I thought I'd chime in and let you know about this one.

It might be a good idea to post this on the 'Ports of Call' section - I'm sure you would get an answer re Hotels. If you book a Celebrity excursion they still drop you off really early. We have also driven back to Miami Airport...never again it is a nightmare - what with the heavy traffic & trying to find our way to the airport ...never again!!

With an 8:50 PM flight on a Sunday night in November, traffic to the airport shouldn't be heavy, let alone a nightmare.

While our personal strategy would be to simply rent a car (store you luggage in the boot) and enjoy our day there are options if you want to book a "day room." Here is a link that will take of the day room option

:https://bookadayroom.com/Hotel_Day_Room-2235--Miami+International+Airport+Hotel-Miami-FL-MIA.aspx

As to the rental car option, there is generally no one-way drop fees for picking up a rental in Ft Lauderdale and dropping it at MIA. So not only does a rental car allow you to store your luggage in the car and enjoy the region for a few hours, but it also takes care of your transfer to MIA (so the rental car almost pays for itself).

Hank

We have found a very good flight to and from FLL that only costs us $117 round trip so we book it every time, but it leaves at 8:58pm! Needless to say, we have tried several different strategies, but we have found that the day room works best for us. It gives us some time to re-organize our luggage, relax, take a nap, and generally de-compress from the week onboard. Most day rooms have pools and are a close walk to lunch, shops etc.

We've rented a car many times when disembarking ships in Ft Lauderdale. Rather than going to the airport to rent the car, we instead take a short cab ride to the Hyatt Pier 66 where Avis has a rental office. We've also found that taxes/fees are much less when renting at an off-airport facility.

Hi

TIA

Hi we stayed in Qatar for the day during a long lay over we e mailed hotels to book a room for the night but with the proviso that they allowed us to check in at 0600 and check out at midnight. We got one at a good rate and it was the best thing ever as we had a great day in Qatar, chilled out at the hotel and a sleep before our 2nd leg. Worth every penny!

The Miami Airport hotel is The worst hotel i ever stayed in. Damp, dirty and lousy breakfast. Service OK, but everything old and not appealing. Glad we stayed pre cruise instead of post cruise! I would stay clear!

(We stayed there last april)

Hi

TIA

Can you move your deposit to the Reflection?

Penny

Hi

TIA

For $50/pp, or maybe less, you should be able to buy access to the airline's lounge. Definitely worth it for a wait of that length.

I'm not sure getting back a day earlier and overnighting would have helped you much. They're really isn't much for morning flights directly from Miami back to the UK. You could leave earlier in the day, but you'd just end up sitting for 6-8 hours in NY or DC or somewhere waiting for the evening transatlantic flight.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Last month we had a late flight too and left our luggage at Miami airport (cost around $30) and enjoyed lunch and sightseeing in South Beach as well as relaxing on the beach. Great day - perfect way to end the cruise for us.