boarding question and dining the first night

sandy06604

hi all! Im sailing (my first cruise) Oct 19th on the Summit out of NJ. I was wondering what time can you board the ship? It leaves at 4 and I wanted to get there early. Around 11 or 12 maybe? Does anyone know the earliest you can board? Also the first night is the MDR open for dinner? I believe we picked 6pm seating so I didnt know if it would be open since were leaving at 4 that day.

thanks in advance for any answers!

hi all! Im sailing (my first cruise) Oct 19th on the Summit out of NJ. I was wondering what time can you board the ship? It leaves at 4 and I wanted to get there early. Around 11 or 12 maybe? Does anyone know the earliest you can board? Also the first night is the MDR open for dinner? I believe we picked 6pm seating so I didnt know if it would be open since were leaving at 4 that day.

thanks in advance for any answers!

11 is usually the earliest you can get on. Since you can't go to your cabin till about 1or 2, most folks go to the Oceanview Buffet and have lunch. They do like you to leave when you are finished because it does get crowded with folks boarding later. I recommend exploring the ship or sitting in a lounge till you can get into your cabin.

Yes the MDR will be open the 1st night. Also, dress code for that night will be lax. This because sometimes bags are late to the staterooms. One time my bag didn't arrive till 10pm, I think it was because I packed a wine cork screw.

Edited by Banjo

11:00 to 11:30 are the typical times you can board. Unless there are govt. inspections or if there was illness on the previous cruise. That will probably not be the case in October. Just be aware that whatever you bring on board, you will be taking it with you as your room will not be ready until at least 1:00 pm. I have seen people taking suitcases and carry-ons all about the ship and that is cumbersome. Check the luggage with the porters.

Dining will be at your assigned time the first night. Enjoy!

Last cruise we were on early dinner 5.30pm and we didn't sail out til 6.30pm.

DH was tempted to skip dinner in the dining room as he wanted to be on deck for sailaway. In the end he just excused himself between main and desert to take some pics as did others at the table.

As the others have noted, you can board around 11am, but you will have to tote your carryons around until the cabins are available around 1pm. You can have lunch in the buffet, but one issue is that people stay there after eating to wait until the cabins are open...they really should vacate the table once they finish dining so that others can eat, and wait elsewhere (we like to sit in a lounger by the pool, or if it is cold, in one of the lounges that has a piano player or other entertainer),

The Main Dining Room will be open for dinner at your assigned time on the first night

And to further a previous comment, yes, the crew might be more willing to overlook inability to meet the dress code due to luggage being not delivered - especially for the early seating. But if you are able to dress accordingly, it is polite to do so. First dining on an early sail does tend to be more casual regardless, so of all your outfits I would wear the most casual that night. Enjoy your cruise!!

As others have stated first nigh is the same as the other nights. It is also a great time to get some discounts at the specialty restaurants. Service is really good the first night in specialties.

Edited by dkjretired

As others have stated first nigh is the same as the other nights. It is also a great time to get some discounts at the specialty restaurants. Service is really good the first night in specialties.

This a good idea.

Usually you will see a staffed table near the buffet area for booking the specialty restaurants and a sign advertising this 1st night special.

As others have indicated, you can probably board around 11:00 a.m. or so but lines will be shorter if you wait until later (who wants to do that :confused:). Someone will offer you a glass of champagne and can wander to the buffet to have some lunch. Or, go to Bistro on 5 where for a $7 charge you can have crepes, panninis, salads, etc. with waiter service.

Try not to weigh yourself down with too much carryon so that you can then stroll the ship until your cabin is ready. With a 4:00 sailing, you may have your muster drill by 3:00 so you will have a very full afternoon. You will be ready to relax and enjoy your dinner at 6:00.

And to further a previous comment, yes, the crew might be more willing to overlook inability to meet the dress code due to luggage being not delivered - especially for the early seating. But if you are able to dress accordingly, it is polite to do so. First dining on an early sail does tend to be more casual regardless, so of all your outfits I would wear the most casual that night. Enjoy your cruise!!

Cruise in April/May they announced that the dress code was casual for everyone that night because of luggage. Didn't see one person dressed up that night.

Edited by d4m

It IS indeed exciting, getting on a cruise ship. Whether it's your first or your hundredth cruise, it is always a thrill.

I highly recommend heading straight to Bistro on Five (it's on the 5th deck, hence the name) for a relaxing first meal on board. Definitely worth the $7 pp. There will be room to put your carry ons close to your table or at the front of the restaurant, and you can sit and enjoy a great meal without having to stand at the buffet line with the hordes hauling their luggage.

You got a great recommendation about eating in the specialty restaurants the first night. They will be offering discounts - and if you don't hear of one, just ask, you should be able to get one. That would be your first transaction on board, then lunch. Likely you'll hear the "rooms are ready for you" announcement while you're eating or shortly thereafter. If you've put your electronics and personal care items in your carry ons, you'll be well on your way to getting settled in before the large luggage appears at your door.

Have a great time!! We're sailing in October as well.