Concerned about 2015 Scandinavia/Russia Cruise

In May we took advantage of RCL's offer to book 1 cruise fare and get the 2nd guest 50% off and booked 6/17/15 11-nite Ultimate Scandinavia/Russia cruise. We were and still are excited about the ports. Given what's now going on with Russia, we are getting a little concerned about going. We plan to wait awhile and know we can cancel prior to final payment. Anyone else book this cruise and feeling nervous about it?

Thanks for your reply. I know RCL would modify the itinerary but it would be nice to know in advance which other port they would choose. We're Diamond and loyal to Royal. Hopefully things will work out.

There's no way to tell this far ahead what the world situation will be let alone in the Baltics region. There are many ships cruising this region and the ports are limited as to how many ships they can take at any one time. I should continue planning and enjoy the prospect of seeing some amazing places..... click on the link in my sig for my experience of this itinerary. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your comments. We also were interested in a British Isles cruise. Celebrity has one but it is a little too expensive. Our travel buddies weren't interested in the Scandinavia/Russia cruise. They just booked a Princess British Isles cruise. We'll probably make our decision whether or not to cancel by January.

In May we took advantage of RCL's offer to book 1 cruise fare and get the 2nd guest 50% off and booked 6/17/15 11-nite Ultimate Scandinavia/Russia cruise. We were and still are excited about the ports. Given what's now going on with Russia, we are getting a little concerned about going. We plan to wait awhile and know we can cancel prior to final payment. Anyone else book this cruise and feeling nervous about it?
I'm on the 6/30/15 7 day with a stop in St Pete and not worried about what I cannot control.

I'd be much more concerned about this year's cruises to that territory but so far there don't seem to have been any changes to itineraries involving Russia and the Baltics. We did this cruise last year and absolutely enjoyed all of it. Can't worry about things that might happen a year from now, but knowing that the cruiseline will keep on top of things and make its decisions based on fact not fear and that cancellation without a penalty is still available until final payment time, I'd book at today's prices rather than sit back and watch them go up.

My dh and I are booked on the 12 night 8/19/14 cruise. While I have concerns I am not really worried. We have friends who have been on cruises that have stopped in St. Petersburg last month without a problem. Also there no state department warnings that would keep.us from going. If things get bad I know RCI won't stop there. Too soon for you to worry.

Any part of the world can have issues at any time (look at what has happened to Holy Land itineraries, hurricanes in the Atlantic, etc.), so I would not cancel based on today's headlines. If you would cancel if Russia is not included in your itinerary, then I wouldn't book a non-refundable air ticket. Or just know that it will cost you $300 or so per person to change it, depending on the airline.

From a Northern Europe perspective this discussion does really not make any sense. The Baltic is totaly safe and even St. Petersburg is as far away from the Ukraine as most countries in the Eastern Med. Please look on a map. If you are worried you should cancel all your planned cruises to respective area like e.g. Turkey, Black Sea, Greece. The conflict in the Ukraine is of course serious but it will not spread out to North-Western parts of Russia. If this happens we all will not think about cruising..

You are thousands of miles away from the trouble spots, and, like someone else has said, RCI would have pulled the cruise.

I would continue to think about that trip....while I'm sure you want to see these places, putting yourself at risk is strictly your decision. Hopefully, everything will be ok, but it has to be a risk you're willing to take.

We just did the Baltic/Scandinavia itinerary on Princess and it was one of my all time favorite itineraries. We were a bit nervous about the political issues, but made final payment in any case in April. You always have up to final payment to back out and you can hold off on your airfare until then.

We have just booked the 12 day in May next year.

I'm not particularly concerned, if it's not safe the itinerary will change. No point in worrying about something outside your control, just plan on going and enjoying yourself until something changes.

I wish they had a Scandinavia/Baltic cruise without Russia. Honestly that's why we haven't pulled the trigger yet. And bring back the British Isles cruise.

I agree. As things stand now I would not go on any cruise that gives Russia any of my money

..............Frank

We were on the 6/18/14 11 night Ultimate Scandanavian/Russia cruise and folks on our thread discussed their concerns at length. A few people cancelled their cruises but the majority did not. Of course, most people - including my husband and I - were concerned about missing St Petersburg. We are so glad we did not cancel! We had a fabulous time and got to visit Moscow on this trip - standing in Red Square was an experience I will never forget. Safety should not be a concern since the city is no where near where conflicts are occurring.

The first time we went to St Petersburg was 9 years ago and one of the first things we noticed this time was how many more tourists there are. So it would not be in the best interests of the Russian government to stop tourists from coming. Also, cruisers are from all over the world, not just the United States.

I know some people feel that they do not want to support the Russian economy but that is a whole other reason to cancel a cruise.

Marianne

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr4mjc View Post

I wish they had a Scandinavia/Baltic cruise without Russia. Honestly that's why we haven't pulled the trigger yet. And bring back the British Isles cruise.

Quote:

I agree. As things stand now I would not go on any cruise that gives Russia any of my money

..............Frank

I agree with both posts!

We had planned to book the Scandinavia/Baltic cruise with Celebrity, as soon as the 2016 schedule came out. This was to be our 50th anniversary cruise, not now. Maybe if Putin is gone and things settle down.

I wonder if travel will be next on the sanctions?

I just did the 14 nights Ultimate Scan and Russia.

It was fantastic! Book and plan. As said above they will not go to Russia if there is any trouble. Keep an eye on cancellation dates and have fun planning.

Note - many people didn't even go ashore in Russia - for many reasons - cost, been before etc.

Raina