a liquor question?

SeaBands

So, your shampoo, sunscreen, mouthwash, toothpaste, conditioner and any other of the myriad of liquids you may be carrying are all in "totally breakage- and leak-proof" containers?

Didn't think so.

Not cool.

I pack my bottle in two plastic bags, wrap it in my clothes and place it in the middle of my luggage. Do you take the same care with your liquids?

Didn't think so.

Not cool.

As a matter of fact, because I have to fly to all of my cruise destinations, I pack absolutely no liquids, gels, etc. in my checked bags, and of course I can't take them into the cabin for security reasons. Instead, I purchase everything from sunblock to toothpaste in the port city and put them in my carry on luggage. No fear of anything leaking into my or anyone else's luggage.

DW and I also pass up our duty free liquor allowance when returning on every trip because with our flights we would have to pack it in our checked luggage. Unlike you, we aren't willing to risk our belongings or those of others for the sake of a few dollars. It seems somewhat silly for us to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and then risk spoiling it all by saving a few dollars on a bottle of booze.

Definitely not cool!:rolleyes:

We also pre-purchase alcohol for our cabin.

Love the idea that we can fix our own drinks when we are ready to sit out on the verandah and relax.

And many times we at lunch time we pick up cheese and crackers.

On our 1st cruise with Holland we per ordered liquor to our cabin which was great as we like to have a couple of drinks while we get ready for dinner.

My question is on a long duration cruise which we are planing for the fall of 2016, if we run out of booze, :( can we order another bottle to our room. :D

My question is on a long duration cruise which we are planing for the fall of 2016, if we run out of booze, :( can we order another bottle to our room. :D

Of course! HAL will be happy to sell you as much liquor as you can consume. Thrilled, even. ;)

Just call room service, or make your purchase at any bar.

On our 1st cruise with Holland we per ordered liquor to our cabin which was great as we like to have a couple of drinks while we get ready for dinner.

On several cruises we have had to order an extra bottle or two -- we just called room service.

You can no longer walk into a bar and buy a bottle there. We were sitting in the Ocean Bar one time when a couple came in and wanted to buy a bottle to take back to their cabin. The bar tender told them that they would have to go back to their cabin and order it that way.

I don't know what kind of liquor you drink but if it is clear why don't you simply pour it out of the original bottle into a large water bottle?

Or if it is whiskey pour that in an Nestle Ice Tea bottle?

My nephew did that on our cruise 2 years ago and had no problem getting it on. One time he couldn't find a bottle so he put it in two McDonald's cups!! LOL. :p

Also, I agree with others that to buy a bottle through the HAL website before sailing is quick, easy and not anymore expensive to purchase than your local liquor or grocery store. In fact some of the packages will even give you some cans of pop with the bottle!

after 31 cruises we have packed liquor on everyone and never had a problem. always at least two bottles and sometimes 3 for the TA's. We also bring vermouth and a jar of olives stuffed with onions. we like a martini before dinner (sometimes even two!) while still in our cabin getting ready. seven different lines and as I mentioned never had a problem.

31 cruises without incident? My experience is very similar to yours- many cruises on many different cruise lines with absolutely no problems.

I'm guessing you have never ruined any of your belongings or those of your fellow passengers? I haven't either.

31 cruises without incident? My experience is very similar to yours- many cruises on many different cruise lines with absolutely no problems.

I'm guessing you have never ruined any of your belongings or those of your fellow passengers? I haven't either.

and only had a problem last Nov. Has anyone been able to carry since then?

Not judging anyone ... just curious. I think HAL's liquor pricing is very fair and not over-priced. So why would you smuggle liquor onto the ship, when purchasing it on-board would be so easy and meet HAL requirements? I truly am curious.

they never offer the brands that I like.

There was a time when you could call Ship Services and ask for brands not on the HAL list and if they were able to get it for you, they would.

I know because a person on another I belong to wanted a couple of bottles of a specific brand of scotch and HAL was able to get it for them.

Up till last Nov HAL was pretty lax in enforcing bringing a bottle or 2 of liquor on board. Has anyone had experience recently at Seattle or Port Everglades with this?

OK to bring 2 bottles of wine.

The big deal is that I like certain brands and I want to make the martini the way we like it. we actually use vermouth. the olives on board all ships are the size of a peanut. if we are getting ready for dinner I can't run up to the bar in my skivvies and waiting for room service and then a second room service is a pain. also, the cruise lines only serve cognac not brandy. to me cognac tastes like ronson lighter fluid! If they wanted to charge me 50 dollars to make up for lost revenue that would be fine with me. we spend plenty when out around the ship and wine every night in the dining room.

also, have never had breakage of any type. wrap it in a pullover and pack it in the center of the suitcase.

The big deal is that I like certain brands and I want to make the martini the way we like it. we actually use vermouth. the olives on board all ships are the size of a peanut.

So, bottom line is that you are a very discerning liquor smuggler?

also, the cruise lines only serve cognac not brandy. to me cognac tastes like ronson lighter fluid!

Ummm, Cognac is brandy, a very good one at that. All Cognac is brandy, but, as the French will remind you, not all brandy is Cognac! :)

Ummm, Cognac is brandy, a very good one at that. All Cognac is brandy, but, as the French will remind you, not all brandy is Cognac! :)

They have cognac on the ship. Off the top of my head, I remember Remy Martin, Corvoisier, and Hennessy. They had up to Remy's Louis XIII.

You should have gone with Armanac, or maybe an Amontillado or Oloroso. Those you will not often find. Cognac, on the other hand, is pretty common. Even good Cognac.

Edited by POA1