Perth airport to Fremantle Cruise Terminal

Hi all

My sister is sailing on the infamous Sea Princess from Fremantle 18.8.14

She was asking me the best way to get to the Cruise Terminal from the airport as I'm fairly familiar with Perth and the general area from visiting family there each year.

I don't usually use Public Transport though as one or other of my sons usually has a spare vehicle for me to use whilst I'm visiting them.

Princess aren't offering a shuttle so what I thought might work is if she takes a taxi from the airport to the nearest train station then trains it down to Fremantle where there is a fairly short walk to the Cruise Terminal.

Is there anyone that can advise if this is the best option? :confused:

Thanks - Gae

Hi all

My sister is sailing on the infamous Sea Princess from Fremantle 18.8.14

She was asking me the best way to get to the Cruise Terminal from the airport as I'm fairly familiar with Perth and the general area from visiting family there each year.

I don't usually use Public Transport though as one or other of my sons usually has a spare vehicle for me to use whilst I'm visiting them.

Princess aren't offering a shuttle so what I thought might work is if she takes a taxi from the airport to the nearest train station then trains it down to Fremantle where there is a fairly short walk to the Cruise Terminal.

Is there anyone that can advise if this is the best option? :confused:

Thanks - Gae

i came across this thread from 3 months ago

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036861&highlight=perth+airport+to+fremantle

Hi Gae

I am surprised that Princess are not offering a shuttle. They certainly did when we got off the Sun Princess a few years ago (to go from the wharf to the airport or CBD).... and of course Celebrity had one (FOC) when we arrived to board the Solstice last year.

As you will have no doubt noted, the comments on the linked thread tend to favour catching a cab...which I would have to endorse ... although the train and the ferry also get a mention.

I am a little concerned about the train however. From my research on this subject a few years ago, there appeared to be an issue regarding the access from the Freo train station to the wharf. There is (was??) an overhead walkway, reached by stairs, that was the only way to cross the lines. It made things a little difficult for pax carting their luggage.

Things may have changed of course, and hopefully some locals will be able to comment.

cheers

A scenic way but involving a change of transport and only if time allowed, would be the Swan River one-way cruise - Barrack St wharf, Perth to Fremantle docks. Cost about the same as taxi from Perth. There were 3 departure times daily. Worth checking out if inclined and if time is available to do so.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036861&highlight=perth+airport+to+fremantle

All the answers are in the link - as at todays date - it is $55.00 from the International Airport to the Cruise terminal - give or take a dollar or three. It is the most convenient - hassle free way to get there. Otherwise check out the supplied thread for all options. We are a bit of a one horse town when it comes to shuttles from airports. Especially the International. :o You have to catch the shuttle at the International to get to the Domestic Airport to get a shuttle into Town. :eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

All the answers are in the link - as at todays date - it is $55.00 from the International Airport to the Cruise terminal - give or take a dollar or three. It is the most convenient - hassle free way to get there. Otherwise check out the supplied thread for all options. We are a bit of a one horse town when it comes to shuttles from airports. Especially the International. :o You have to catch the shuttle at the International to get to the Domestic Airport to get a shuttle into Town. :eek:

Time waiting for all the connections, sure make the Taxi look more attractive especially if there is two or more people sharing the cab.:D

For an Overseas visitor I would recommend the taxi airport to Barrack st jetty and one way river ferry cruise to Freo.

For the thrifty with time over cost I would recommend shuttle to Perth train station then train to Freo.

For the average person even at $55 you cant beat a direct trip in a cab to Freo that drops you off outside the cruise terminal building:)

Perth is more car friendly than public transport with airport pick up and drop offs almost always done by family and friends.

I live 1km outside Perth CBD and it costs us $25 domestic $30 International for a cab airport to home so $55 airport to Freo isnt a huge price.

An underground rail system from airports to city has just been announced but wont be completed until 2020.

Hi Gae

I am surprised that Princess are not offering a shuttle. They certainly did when we got off the Sun Princess a few years ago (to go from the wharf to the airport or CBD).... and of course Celebrity had one (FOC) when we arrived to board the Solstice last year.

As you will have no doubt noted, the comments on the linked thread tend to favour catching a cab...which I would have to endorse ... although the train and the ferry also get a mention.

I am a little concerned about the train however. From my research on this subject a few years ago, there appeared to be an issue regarding the access from the Freo train station to the wharf. There is (was??) an overhead walkway, reached by stairs, that was the only way to cross the lines. It made things a little difficult for pax carting their luggage.

Things may have changed of course, and hopefully some locals will be able to comment.

cheers

As you come out of the train station turn to the left for the overpass to the cruise terminal - it has a ramp as well as steps

If you turn to the right you will go to a level crossing to get to the other side - it is slightly longer by this route.

The trains from Perth to Fremantle are very regular and I have seen quite a few people heading to the cruise terminal with their luggage (we always say "lucky buggers - we know where your going")

Don't hold your breathe - it's Perth we're talking about - the announcement said it won't be completed until 2020 - that could mean it won't start till then either- if at all. :eek: We're still waiting for the super duper yew beaut International Airport :rolleyes: WA - Wait Awhile ;) When they dig the first sod (nothing personal) I should be able to hear the clapping from where I live (well - if the clap loudly and the wind is in the right direction) :rolleyes:

Edited by dizzy1948

It is possible to get to/from Perth airport/Fremantle quite easily by using public transport [the ships dock quite near the rail station]. Go To

www.transperth.wa.gov.au

and type in as location/landmark Perth Domestic Airport and Fremantle Station with date and time, and a number of options will be presented.

Check the number of "legs" and walking distance involved before making your choice. It's a remarkably quick journey of around 1.5 hours, and not expensive [buy a 2-zone cash fare 4.40 or 1.80 concession, good for 2 hours travel, meaning get on board your final "leg" within that 2 hour period, which will be printed on your ticket]

If one has the time available, this could be a good alternative, particularly for a single traveller.

We live close to Fremantle and go past the Fremantle station and the port all the time. The leg from Fremantle train station to the cruise terminal is not an easy walk. The footpaths are not made for pulling a suitcase over them, and if it is a warmish day you will really get up a sweat! It is flat ground, except for going over the pedestrian walk bridges, but still a real trudge. I'm a lacrosse player and think I am in reasonable shape, but I'd pick a taxi from Perth to Freo!