Dining Question

perkyblue

A question about river cruise dining: On ocean cruises, I sometimes order two appetizers or even two entrees if I can't make up my mind. (I'm not really a glutton, just notoriously indecisive!) Is that okay on river cruises (particularly on Avalon) or is that more frowned-upon on the river ships?

They usually frown on double orders and flat out said no to double entrees on our Avalon cruise. Meal planning is tighter than on ocean vessels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would that also apply to getting, say, 2 appetizers (one for the entrée).

Just to add - on our trip, you also could also order a steak or chicken breast or salmon or Caesar salad as everyday choices if you don't care for the nightly entrees. There were usually a beef/pork, chicken, fish or veggie offering each night. Breakfast and lunch are always buffets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are just back from an Avalon cruise, there was never a problem with ordering 2 soups or 2 appetisers instead of one of the other courses, as was said earlier appetizers are quite small though. We sat with people that did this, I hsve never seen anyone order 2 main courses, but thats not to say they dont. But remember that the galley on river cruises is very compact, I doubt they'd have the capacity to cook lots of extra meals, after a 4 or 5 course meal each night we were never hungry, on 2 days there had been very large local food tastings (cheeses, meats, sweets) at about 4pm, then dinner at 7pm, so we werent even hungry and would miss a couple of the courses.

You wont ever go hungry, you could always share your dishes with your partner if you wanted to taste other options at meals.

I think you need to throw everything you know and expect from an ocean cruise out the window before your River Cruise :-). Seriously don't compare or you might be disappointed in some respects. The portions are smaller and there are no "doubles" on RC. But don't worry. Dinner is over at 9 pm and at 10 they serve sandwiches each evening in the lounge. Lunch and breakfast are buffets with high quality selections. Every day at 4 pm they serve coffee and cake and little finger sandwiches.

Not all lines are the same, just as on ocean cruises.

It was an issue on Avalon. Never was an issue on our AMA cruises. We would sometimes order an extra entree for our table to share. Always graciously provided.

Edited by caviargal

We were on Viking in April and one of our traveling companions ordered two main entrees each night (much to our dismay...but what could we do). It was embarrassing for us! but the staff did not mind at all. The complaint from the fellow traveler was that portions were not large enough. Although the rest of us thought the portions were totally reasonable, especially since we had soup or appetizer/ salad, then main entrée and dessert.

Thanks everyone! That's kind of what I was thinking -- that you're not really supposed to do that on the river ships since they're so much smaller. I'm not at all concerned with the portion sizes or amount of food available; I just like to try a variety of things and sometimes just can't decide!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My DH is 6'8" with a stomach to match (No he's not fat, just has a big appetite). While he has only ordered 2 entree's once, and that was because he didn't care of the first one he got, he often does order 2 appetizers. I hope no one looks at him in dismay if he does order extra food. I usually can't finish my meal, but my little guy takes a lot to fill up!

On ocean cruises we usually have a big breakfast, then head off to the Big City port and spend the entire day -- so when we get back onboard we are very hungry for dinner (unless we are early enough back for tea...).

On the river cruise we would have a big breakfast, then a nice walking tour of the Small City or Village -- back on the boat for a big lunch -- then a leisurely afternoon cruising or another short walking tour. Anyway, we were never as hungry at dinner as we are on ocean cruises. So even if the occasional main course didn't appeal too much, I never ordered a make-up and just went on happily to dessert.

On one of our small boat cruises I had temporary dietary restrictions that were accommodated better than I expected. Advance conversations with the chef about upcoming menus with details about preparation and ingredients. Chef offered suggestions about alternatives . . . maître d' knew I had issues and handled ordering specials flawlessly.

One advantage to the small galley on river boats is that entrees or prepared to order. The chef is able to make modifications on the fly, particularly if it is something like not using a sauce or deleting one side and doubling up another.

These are things that seem to big more difficult to deal with in the "banquet halls" on mass market cruise ships.

Thanks everyone! That's kind of what I was thinking -- that you're not really supposed to do that on the river ships since they're so much smaller. I'm not at all concerned with the portion sizes or amount of food available; I just like to try a variety of things and sometimes just can't decide!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe you could order a half portion of two different entrees instead of two complete dinners. I often ordered half portioned dinners on our last cruise. The full dinners were just too much food, especially if I wanted to have dessert.

Edited by H2Otstr

Viking had no problem with what you are discussing.

I recently only wanted a certain aspect of a course (eliminating the meat, keeping the ravioli) and there was no problem. One night I wanted steak, but requested a half portion as I'd seen the huge portions served to others. No problem.

An additional helping of something. No problem. A cheese plate to share along with the individual desserts order. No problem.

We found Viking extremely accommodating.

There was a review post on here (I believe for Uniworld - not sure) anyway the reviewer had mentioned that every night they ordered 2 entrees (along with appetizers/dessert) and there was never an issue or a problem.

In fact after several nights the servers would serve them on the same plate.

I don't think it will be a problem or that you will be frowned upon (and really, who cares if someone frowns).

And with the amount of money that one pays for river cruises I really don't think it will be a problem.

In my case, I'm looking forward to eating OFF the boat at local places so my OH will probably eat both our meals on the ship :)

There was a review post on here (I believe for Uniworld - not sure) anyway the reviewer had mentioned that every night they ordered 2 entrees (along with appetizers/dessert) and there was never an issue or a problem.

I don't think it will be a problem or that you will be frowned upon (and really, who cares if someone frowns).

And with the amount of money that one pays for river cruises I really don't think it will be a problem.

In my case, I'm looking forward to eating OFF the boat at local places so my OH will probably eat both our meals on the ship :)

Yes,yes,yes, finally someone who is looking forward to eating OFF the boat. This is absolutely one of the greatest thing about a river cruise, the opportunity to try cuisine and restaurants in many different towns. I can not believe the number of cruisers who follow their guides back to the boat to have lunch, and then leave again to return to the same area they just left.Total waste of your time and you lose an opportunity to try some local specialties. Lunches on board are good, but not good enough to take up an extra three hours of your precious land time.

As for cruisers who are embarrassed about table mates who might order a second entree or appetizer,,please, it's their vacation, and the wait staff doesn't care, so don't let It bother you. Everyone paid a lot for the cruise so they should be able to leave the table satisfied. Portion sizes are somewhat smaller so occasionally a little something extra is in order, after all, there is No room service onboard that you can order later in the evening if you are hungry.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, this is a good point! I'm so used to ocean cruises where we usually have to be back on board before dinner time. I will definitely eat in the ports along the way rather than on the ship whenever possible. I always prefer experiencing local food over the ship's food.