Western caribbean vs Eastern and southern caribbean cruises

Hope89

I read several reviews where some people commented that they don't care for western caribbean ports. Why is that? I have booked a cruise that has ports in Cozumel, grand cayman, Falmouth, and labadee. Are they that bad? I am having second thoughts about this. I have the option to change my cruise to eastern caribbean that has ports in St. maarten, St. Thomas, and Saun Juan for same dates and same price. Should I change it?

I would be asking those posters why they didn't like the western Caribbean. Each has their own opinion.

The islands you mention are the most "westernized" of the Caribbean ports (Aruba and Curacao would fit in this category as well). Grand Cayman is fairly "westernized".

I would be asking those posters why they didn't like the western Caribbean. Each has their own opinion.

The islands you mention are the most "westernized" of the Caribbean ports (Aruba and Curacao would fit in this category as well). Grand Cayman is fairly "westernized".

This was mentioned in threads where the main topic was not necessarily about ports. I didn't want to hijack those threads.

I read several reviews where some people commented that they don't care for western caribbean ports. Why is that? I have booked a cruise that has ports in Cozumel, grand cayman, Falmouth, and labadee. Are they that bad? I am having second thoughts about this. I have the option to change my cruise to eastern caribbean that has ports in St. maarten, St. Thomas, and Saun Juan for same dates and same price. Should I change it?

You have nice ports on your Western! Enjoy! :)

LuLu

Your choice of itineraries should be based on your preferences, not ours.

What do you want to do on your cruise? Do you want to lounge on beaches or swim with the dolphins, snorkel or scuba dive? If so stay with the western itinerary.

If you want to enjoy beaches, see historic sites like El Morro in San Juan, shop in St. Maarten and/or St. Thomas, sail in a catamaran in many ports then change to the eastern or southern itinerary.

Each direction has its stars and appeals. Check out the Ports of Call forum for the Caribbean islands to get a flavor of each.

Having sailed all of these areas to me they all have their pluses and yes there are some ports I don't care for as much as others in each of the three areas. My recommendation is to stay the course. Remember, if we all had the same opinions we would all eat the same food, wear the same clothing, sail the same cruise lines. Life would be dull.

Keith

One of my first Caribbean cruises was a Western one (Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozmuel, key West). I thought Eastern was more exotic. Then I went and did an Eastern one (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maartin), not that much more exotic. SO touristy.

Did another "western" and to me was more exotic, meaning more far from home; Roatan, Belize, and Coz again. Loved it.

Again I have a Western booked for Nov, which included three ports I've never been: Panama; Costa Rica; Cartegena, Colombia--along with three I have been to, Grand Cayman, Coz, and Belize. Even though it's a "western" itin, I feel it's more exotic. But for me, bc I've not been to many of these places yet.

West has better snorkeling vs the East. East has better chill out beaches.

Perhaps people don't recommend the West bc that is the "beginner's cruise"? I dunno. But that was MY beginner cruise, so that is why I feel that way. I like to think as the ones I am going on as not West, but South West. LOL

Someday I will do the real South. the ABC islands.

Cozumel is beautiful and extremely easy to get around in. I like the long sea day stretch as you make your way to Mexico. That said, I much prefer Southern and Eastern. That Eastern sailing you mention- it's incredibly gorgeous sailing between those islands. Pulling out of St. Thomas is beautiful.

Falmouth -- Jamaica -- we don't like Jamaica -- before we started cruising, we stayed there for a week and hated the island. Montego Bay was awful.

We prefer the southern Caribbean -- Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire.

Eastern Caribbean is also nice but there are times when St Maarten will have up to 8 ships there and it is a zoo.

There is something to see and do on all the islands and in Central America. You will like some ports better than others. If you are going Western this time you may want to go Eastern next or even Southern. Try them all and decide what YOU like best.

We enjoy all of the itineraries, east, west, south. They all have different things to offer. Our personal favorite is the southern cruises that include islands like Dominica and Grenada because those islands are less developed and have spectacular natural beauty.

The only reason we might forego a certain itinerary is because we have been to the same islands many times; but we still manage to find new things to do or just enjoy a nice beach day--always a plus in the winter for Nebraskans!

I might not be too likely to book a cruise with two stops in Jamaica though.

We did b2b Western/Eastern last winter. (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Key West then Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas). Our favourite islands were St. Thomas and Cozumel. With the others a close second. We like to tour the islands and did so on local tours just off the ship. The Western is more American like and the less so. Both are relaxing and beautiful so would recommend either.

I wouldn't change because of the ports. On the western itinerary, there is plenty to love about all the ports (except maybe Falmouth, which is newly developed). Labadee is one of my very favorite places - a perfect beach day, no excursion necessary. Just research what you'd like to do at the other ports and have a plan (especially for Falmouth).

You didn't mention which ships are on each itinerary. That would weigh heavily on whether or not to switch. I think everyone should try each of these itineraries at least once.

Edited by DonnaK

I wouldn't change because of the ports. On the western itinerary, there is plenty to love about all the ports (except maybe Falmouth, which is newly developed). Labadee is one of my very favorite places - a perfect beach day, no excursion necessary. Just research what you'd like to do at the other ports and have a plan (especially for Falmouth).

You didn't mention which ships are on each itinerary. That would weigh heavily on whether or not to switch. I think everyone should try each of these itineraries at least once.

Both ships are Celebrity. I have Celebrity Silhouette booked right now and was considering Celebrity reflection. From what I understand both ships are pretty similar except for few things.

Edited by Hope89

I would not change just because of that comment. Western Caribbean was our first cruise,2013. Taking our next cruise in January--Eastern Caribbean. Southern is my next route on the wish list. Just changing it up. We really enjoyed the Western route. and we'd be more than willing to do it again!(our ports were Cozumel, Belize(cancelled for rough seas), Mahogany Beach,(Roatan),and Grand Cayman.

For me it also depends on when I'm cruising. Nov thru January, there is more chance of rain and some cool days on the Western route. Not saying you can't get cool and rainy anywhere, but I'm saying the chance is greater. In my experience, the farther south you go in those months, the less chance of shabby weather.