plastic travel steamer

tlreze

Carnival's policy prohibits steamers, and it doesn't make exceptions for plastic ones. It could get confiscated, either during embarkation or by your cabin steward.

Don't know about NCL, but Carnival ships have self service laundry rooms for passenger use, and they have irons. As an alternative, we always bring a travel sized bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carnival's policy prohibits steamers, and it doesn't make exceptions for plastic ones. It could get confiscated, either during embarkation or by your cabin steward.

Don't know about NCL, but Carnival ships have self service laundry rooms for passenger use, and they have irons. As an alternative, we always bring a travel sized bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I second the Downey product. It is awesome. Oh, here is my tip. I had an old travel iron. I cut the cord off and take it in my carry on. I use it to press my clothes with the Downey. I use hand lotion and do not want to use my hands to iron away the wrinkles.

It takes a minute of explanation but they let me take it on.

Smuggle your booze, rum runners, whatever. But why people bring on items expressly forbidden that are fire hazards is beyond me!!! And to brag about it....I don't get how people have so little concern for other' safety. It is not allowed due to a fire hazard. Think of others and font bring a steamer.

Edited by momof4boys

Smuggle your booze, rum runners, whatever. But why people bring on items expressly forbidden that are fire hazards is beyond me!!! And to brag about it....I don't get how people have so little concern for other' safety. It is not allowed due to a fire hazard. Think of others and font bring a steamer.

lots of things brought on a ship can cause a fire. A steamer is a stretch. Curling irons cause a lot more fires than steamers

lots of things brought on a ship can cause a fire. A steamer is a stretch. Curling irons cause a lot more fires than steamers

So because, you perceive steamers to be safer, then the rules do not apply to you??? You're selfish. As someone said, smuggle all the alcohol you want on the ship, but don't smuggle an electric appliance that's specifically forbidden in the interest of safety. All it takes is for you to leave your perfectly safe steamer plugged in while you go to the hairy chest contest, and for the thing to short circuit and catch on fire. Have you ever thrown water at an electric fire? Do you know what is inside a steamer?

Could other things catch on fire? Absolutely. But why blatantly disregard a rule created to keep you (and everyone else on the ship) safer??? Just so that your shirt on elegant night doesn't have any wrinkles?? Nobody is going to care what your shirt looks like during an evacuation if the ship does catch on fire. :mad:

Edited by MargieWY

So because, you perceive steamers to be safer, then the rules do not apply to you??? You're selfish. As someone said, smuggle all the alcohol you want on the ship, but don't smuggle an electric appliance that's specifically forbidden in the interest of safety. All it takes is for you to leave your perfectly safe steamer plugged in while you go to the hairy chest contest, and for the thing to short circuit and catch on fire. Have you ever thrown water at an electric fire? Do you know what is inside a steamer?

Could other things catch on fire? Absolutely. But why blatantly disregard a rule created to keep you (and everyone else on the ship) safer??? Just so that your shirt on elegant night doesn't have any wrinkles?? Nobody is going to care what your shirt looks like during an evacuation if the ship does catch on fire. :mad:

And you're rude. We're even

I used the search feature of Carnival.com and put in clothes steamers. Here is the result:

Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only in their carry-on luggage)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances, i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc. (See Exceptions)

• Heating Pads

• Hookah

Exceptions:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, and shavers, are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

(Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (Including, non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (Including, detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (Including; flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

(Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.)

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade (Anything not listed under Exceptions)

• Candles

• Incense

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Medical Marijuana, Kava

• Bicycles

• Surfboards - (Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length are allowed for use in port only and must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

• Lasers

• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)

• Any Radio Controlled Flying Instruments (Drone Cameras, Flying Toys, etc.)

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

Was this directed at someone in particular?

The OP asked if they were allowed on Carnival, and that they were on another line.

Most curling irons turn off if left plugged in as a safety feature. Even so, I make a conscious effort to always unplug it. I understand that anything that heats up has risk.

Maybe allowing a steamer to be used in the laundry room would work, since they have to be unplugged to take back to the room.

And you're rude. We're even

I prefer to be rude than to be selfish and inconsiderate. You may be even with me, but you owe and apology to all the people that you have blatantly placed in danger by ignoring a basic safety at sea rule.

I prefer to be rude than to be selfish and inconsiderate. You may be even with me, but you owe and apology to all the people that you have blatantly placed in danger by ignoring a basic safety at sea rule.

yup, blatantly place the ship in danger. Me and the other 1000 or so people on the ship, LOL.

Steamers although on the do not bring list are rarely confiscated. Makes me think that Carnival wants you to use their pay services instead

One thing I have never seen mentioned when it comes to banned electrical appliances is that every one of them takes electricity to operate. Can you imagine what it would do to the electrical system if everybody fired up their irons or steamers at the same time while getting ready for dinner. Is the cabin wiring even designed to handle that load?

I have an Oreck Travel Steamer that I have used on every cruise, and have never had a problem. I also take several travel bottles of Downey Wrinkly Release. I use the steamer for touching up shirts, or tops. I also use the laundry/ironing room for pants or bottoms that need to look sharp or crisp, or need the crease touched up.

The answer to the OPs question is no, you cannot bring a travel steamer.

While you may find that some people insist that they bring theirs with, it is 100% against Carnival's rules. Whether or not one thinks it is a true fire hazard or not, they are not the ones writing policy and are therefore, in direct violation of the rules. Plain and simple. Until Carnival hires them or asks their opinion for rewriting prohibited items, the answer is still no. Doesn't matter what their rationale is, it is still NO. Black and white, cut and dry, end of story.

In the past I have taken a steamer (didn't know they weren't allowed). Brought it 2/3 times. Never used it.

I roll most of my things, and unpack as soon as possible. This leaves my clothes looking fine.

We're on vacation after all. Relax. ;)

I used the search feature of Carnival.com and put in clothes steamers. Here is the result:

Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

I didn't know this one. Children's Fiskars are 5". We also bring a set so we can cut off the stupid luggage tags that we've had to tape to high heck.