Norwegian Fjord Cruise

judyfssw

We would like to take a cruise through the Fjords in 2016. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for. I know that this sounds dumb but I'm not sure which cruise that we should take? Seeing photos of the Celebrity cruise ship sailing between large green ranges looks so peaceful and beautiful.

What would CC cruisers recommend?:confused:

Depending where you want to sail from, I would recommend a 7 or 8 day cruise from Southampton. We have just booked a 7 day cruise in May next year on Eclipse, which will be our 3rd trip up the fjords. Lots of beautiful ones, but make sure that Flam and Geiranger are included, the sail in and out are fantastic. Just beware, Norway is expensive!

We would like to take a cruise through the Fjords in 2016. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for. I know that this sounds dumb but I'm not sure which cruise that we should take? Seeing photos of the Celebrity cruise ship sailing between large green ranges looks so peaceful and beautiful. What would CC cruisers recommend?

There are no "dumb" questions, only those you don't ask would be in that less-than-smart category. Appreciate this good question and YES, Celebrity and other cruise lines, have many options. It is fun to consider going through these wonderful parts of the world. Planning ahead and booking early are good to do. Adammara is 100% correct that one of the important consideration is where you want to sail from. BUT, wait . . . there is much more to consider.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: One of your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Check out below my live/blog to consider some of your options. Feel free to post any added questions there. Happy to share more, etc.

Tell us more . . . on your time flexibilities, budget potentials (Norway and this part of the world can be costly), desires/motivations in visiting this area, how much for nature/scenery versus culture/architecture/history, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 152,682 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below are some pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Also check Azamara's Norway cruises. I believe last year or this year there was a 14 day cruise that went up past the North Cape. Smaller ship, able to get into tighter waters among the fjords. We're thinking of one of those in 2016 as well, just haven't made the commitment yet. If we go that far we really want to see as much of Norway as we can and a week might not do it, but YMMV.

We had to cancel a trip on one of the Celebrity ships two years ago - it was Iceland, Norway and the Faroe Islands. I hear that's a fabulous cruise but once again, not as much of Norway as we really want to see if we go all that way.

we did the Constellation Arctic circle fjords trip in June 2014. This was roundtrip from Amsterdam and included Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger, Honnigsvag (for the North Cape), Tromso, Molde and Bergen.The weather varied from sunny and low 70s to snowing and 30s so preparing with clothing layers is essential. Geiranger is stunning and was probably our favorite port.

There is different scenery at each of the ports, with amazing beauty. Many of the sails-in and-out were gorgeous. The North Cape is not so much beautiful as an experience (the weather is very variable and for us was cold, drizzling and very windy) but seeing reindeer and puffins in the wild was great fun.

The Troll road is hair-raising, especially when you meet vehicles coming the other way but wouldnt have missed it- however,I was glad we weren't driving that one ourselves.

Many of the ports were easy to DIY.

If you have specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Susan

We have been to Norway quite a few times, and just love the country, but it is expensive as already has been said.

Last year we took an early May cruise on the Eclipse, and it was bitterly cold! If you could make a trip late May or June you will find the waterfalls at their spectacular best with the snow melt. Earlier they are still frozen and late in the season they become just a trickle.

The ports can be so different, it makes for a very interesting holiday. If you can take in Oslo in the south, you will not be disappointed: a beautiful city for walking. Viglan Park for the sculptures and the Royal Palace can be easily done on your own (that goes for virtually all ports) if you have no mobility problems.

Do try and take a cruise to Norway.

There are no "dumb" questions, only those you don't ask would be in that less-than-smart category. Appreciate this good question and YES, Celebrity and other cruise lines, have many options. It is fun to consider going through these wonderful parts of the world. Planning ahead and booking early are good to do. Adammara is 100% correct that one of the important consideration is where you want to sail from. BUT, wait . . . there is much more to consider.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: One of your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Check out below my live/blog to consider some of your options. Feel free to post any added questions there. Happy to share more, etc.

Tell us more . . . on your time flexibilities, budget potentials (Norway and this part of the world can be costly), desires/motivations in visiting this area, how much for nature/scenery versus culture/architecture/history, etc.

Thank you, Terry. I will definitely go to your blog. But I have a question for you or others who come to this thread.

Our desire is to take the fjord/North Cape cruise in 2016 and would prefer to do it on Celebrity but I can't find that there is one for 2015 and am afraid that they aren't doing it anymore. Has anyone been able to see that itinerary on Celebrity for 2015?

If they don't do it, we are left looking at even more expensive alternatives. So far I have seen great possibilities on Azamara and Oceania (but Azamara has apparently charted out the cruise after and the previous cruise is a swingers cruise and that is NOT for us :eek:). We really don't want to go to all the expense and trouble of a round trip flight to Europe for 2 weeks so it is looking like Oceania who does a nice 20 day run is our best bet. But is is several thousand more than the last few Celebrity cruises I've seen for that area.

We have been to Norway quite a few times, and just love the country, but it is expensive as already has been said. Last year we took an early May cruise on the Eclipse, and it was bitterly cold! If you could make a trip late May or June you will find the waterfalls at their spectacular best with the snow melt. Earlier they are still frozen and late in the season they become just a trickle. The ports can be so different, it makes for a very interesting holiday. If you can take in Oslo in the south, you will not be disappointed: a beautiful city for walking. Viglan Park for the sculptures and the Royal Palace can be easily done on your own (that goes for virtually all ports) if you have no mobility problems.

Do try and take a cruise to Norway.

Appreciate and agree with LadyL1 on the factor for weather, plus seeing Oslo, if possible. Below are a few quick visual on the Norway capital. Lots of interesting art and architecture there.

On weather, our ship Captain shared that, on average, July is the best month to be going up and down that western and NW coast. It can work a little earlier and later. But, yes, May can have its risks.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 152,919 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic Akershus Fortress/Castle next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. It successfully survived all sieges, primarily by Swedish forces. It surrendered without combat to Germans in 1940 when the Norwegian government evacuated the capital in the face of the German invasions of Denmark and Norway. The very interesting and moving Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Thank you, Terry. I will definitely go to your blog. But I have a question for you or others who come to this thread. Our desire is to take the fjord/North Cape cruise in 2016 and would prefer to do it on Celebrity but I can't find that there is one for 2015 and am afraid that they aren't doing it anymore. Has anyone been able to see that itinerary on Celebrity for 2015? If they don't do it, we are left looking at even more expensive alternatives. So far I have seen great possibilities on Azamara and Oceania (but Azamara has apparently charted out the cruise after and the previous cruise is a swingers cruise and that is NOT for us :eek:). We really don't want to go to all the expense and trouble of a round trip flight to Europe for 2 weeks so it is looking like Oceania who does a nice 20 day run is our best bet. But is is several thousand more than the last few Celebrity cruises I've seen for that area.

Not sure what is up (or not) with Celebrity and their future scheduling. Nothing is posted yet on their 2016 Europe options. For 2015, I looked through nine pages of their Europe offerings and nothing was shown that goes north above the lower, main fjord areas along Norway's western coast. Strange!!?? Celebrity is "missing the boat" so to speak!!

Yes, there are many other options to consider. Some are nicer, smaller, more personal ships, BUT at a much higher price. Wish that I had a good, easy answer. Just keep researching and looking. I have heard great things from friends recent who have done Oceania. They tell me that Oceania does a super job with their food, etc. We have not yet sailed with them. Hope to do that in the future.

Good luck with your searching and booking! Happy to answer any questions and/or provide other help.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 71,568 views for this fun posting.

I'm going to throw in a "beware." I took a 7-day fjords cruise out of Southampton in May and discovered that it was the school holiday week in the UK. That's why it was a shorter cruise. Anyway, holiday week equated to 560 (yes, that's really 560) children onboard! Um, not my favorite cruise. If and when I go again, I'll be sure to book something longer than 7 - 8 days, especially if it is from the UK in May. Their holiday is only a week long so a longer cruise should probably be safe. BTW, my cruise began on a Friday so obviously a lot of folks pulled their kids out of school for that day even though I learned they risked a hefty fine.

Edited by goofysmom99

I'm going to throw in a "beware." I took a 7-day fjords cruise out of Southampton in May and discovered that it was the school holiday week in the UK. That's why it was a shorter cruise. Anyway, holiday week equated to 560 (yes, that's really 560) children onboard! Um, not my favorite cruise. If and when I go again, I'll be sure to book something longer than 7 - 8 days, especially if it is from the UK in May. Their holiday is only a week long so a longer cruise should probably be safe. BTW, my cruise began on a Friday so obviously a lot of folks pulled their kids out of school for that day even though I learned they risked a hefty fine.

For those of you who live outside the UK, you might find the following information useful. Almost every school in England has a one week break at the end of May, that incorporates the May Bank Holiday (always last Monday in May). I would avoid this week like the plague, and prices are hitherto inflated to reflect the demand.