Emergency drill

PurpleMoonlight

Of course you attend if you have to. Only idiots would try and avoid it.

Now if you are a idiot and throw your own life away thats fine but what I object to is you putting other lives at risk because of your selfish behaviour :mad:

The only time you will ever be exempt from the emergency drill is if you just happen to purchase a back to back cruise then on your second voyage you are not required to attend.

It is compulsory by law. It is not the cruise lines policy to force you to attend they only do it because the law demands it.

It is the same with airlines and their emergency announcement.

Does the information change from trip to trip on the same ship?

Yes it can do but not normally. Don't forget that drills are for the benefit and training of crew as well as passengers. It may be decided that crew should direct you to assembly areas via alternative routes to those normally used for instance, by assimilating certain routes being taken out of use such as in a fire situation.

Anyone deliberately trying to avoid such a drill should be put ashore as far as I am concerned.

Edited by AchileLauro

HAL have a roll call in the area where you muster until everyone is there nothing continues, there are reports of people being disembarked because they didn't attend the muster drill but I'm not sure if that's true or not. The only time we avoided it was on an MSC cruise, we embarked in Barcelona and had what you could only call a token muster when we were shown how to put on a life jacket and little else, the full muster took part the day before we got off and we stayed in our cabin. Cruising again with HAL in the autumn and expecting 3 separate muster drills as the cruise is sold as 3 separate cruises.

It is compulsory by law. It is not the cruise lines policy to force you to attend they only do it because the law demands it.

The pre flight safety briefing known as the safety demo isn't compulsory to watch or listen to.

Muster station instructions have changed quite a lot over the years I have been cruising, and from line to line as well - on CMV we were actually led from our muster station to our lifeboat and head-counted. People have been offloaded on HAL for refusing to attend.

What is half an hour of your time against a potential Costa Concordia??

One thing I do dislike about the drill is towards the end of it but before it has officially ended a bit of a sales talk creeps in sometimes - what revenue earning activities this cruise are taking place etc. The two should not be mixed and cruise lines should not take advantage of a captive audience - if this starts we get up and leave.

Edited by richleeds
typo

One thing I do dislike about the drill is towards the end of it but before it has officially ended a bit of a sales talk creeps in sometimes - what revenue earning activities this cruise are taking place etc. The two should not be mixed and cruise lines should not take advantage of a captive audience - if this starts we get up and leave.

Never ever having done over 30+ cruises with different cruise lines have I had a sales talk at the end of the Safety Drill.

As ex aircrew, you're just the sort I wouldn't bother getting out if the a/c was on fire!

As an Airport firefighter I find this comment quite alarming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only time you will ever be exempt from the emergency drill is if you just happen to purchase a back to back cruise then on your second voyage you are not required to attend.

Sorry to say that it's not correct to say on a back to back you do not have to attend the second drill.

Recently on a HAL cruise a couple were disembarked by the Captain after refusing to attend the second drill of a back to back.

We have cruised on back to backs and you had to attend both drills.

Why?

I think she was meaning if people can not be bothered to listen to the safety briefing why the hell should people risk their lives trying to save them.

These people who talk all the way thro safety briefings will be the first wanting to know where their equipment is in an emergency and probably first in line for claiming damages afterwards....

Sorry to say that it's not correct to say on a back to back you do not have to attend the second drill.

Recently on a HAL cruise a couple were disembarked by the Captain after refusing to attend the second drill of a back to back.

We have cruised on back to backs and you had to attend both drills.

I think the poster you are replying to was talking about P&O. (This thread is on the P&O board.) And on P&O, you don't have to attend lifeboat drill twice if you're on back to back cruises.

I've never quite understood why people think lifeboat drill is going to make such a difference. The first time I travelled by P&O was in 1993, and I've been with them many times since. The lifeboat drill has never changed - it involves going to your muster station and being told the following essentiasl facts:

1. The emergency bell is 7 short and 1 long.

2. When it rings, go to your muster station.

3. Take your lifejacket if you can, but if you don't take it, it doesn't matter.

4. Do as you're told by the crew.

Now, obviously it's vital to attend every time , just in case the system has changed (eg. the new recommendation might be to run to the ship's rail and be ready to leap off - who knows?) But I can't really see how missing this vital information is going to endanger anyone else, in the unlikely event of me missing it.

(PS - I do learn other stuff, such as that it's not a good idea to sit on the rails, and that I haven't to throw cigarettes, any other live flames, or anything else over the side. But as I wasn't going to anyway, it's not really vital information. I also learned that if you're charging a tablet or any other electrical device, you must sit there and watch it while it charges. No charging it up and going away. Charging it at night and sleeping through it isn't allowed either. I ignored that one.)

Edited by dsrdsrdsr