Queen Mary 2 Photos

ShipsInBergen

Yesterday Queen Mary 2 called into Bergen, Norway. I was lucky enough to get some good photos of her visit, which I have now added to my blog. I thought these might interest some of you here :).

http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/2014/08/queen-mary-2.html

I was particularly excited as I we have just booked an eastbound transatlantic on QM2 for next January! Counting down the days...

Thanks for sharing your photos with us, UKcruise88. Especially those from the Askøy bridge. Would that the Verrazano Narrows Bridge had a pedestrian walkway so that we might get a similar viewpoint in NYC. There are way too many photos of the bridge taken from Queen Mary 2 (including mine), but none of QM2 taken from the bridge.

Thanks for sharing your photos with us, UKcruise88. Especially those from the Askøy bridge. Would that the Verrazano Narrows Bridge had a pedestrian walkway so that we might get a similar viewpoint in NYC. There are way too many photos of the bridge taken from Queen Mary 2 (including mine), but none of QM2 taken from the bridge.

see

http://www.change.org/petitions/support-bicycle-and-pedestrian-pathways-on-the-verrazano-narrows-bridge

Thanks all for the kind comments. Glad you all enjoyed the pictures :).

It really was amazing seeing her pass so close under the bridge. Such a shame there isn't a walkway on the Verrazano bridge. Like all the rest I'll have to see that one from onboard the QM2!

I noticed this in some recent photos, too. Glad to know that she was getting a scrub. I'm frankly a little shocked at the lax dry docking schedules. The amount of time between service is far too long and this is the result. All that algae slows the ship down and cuts into her fuel efficiency, if nothing else. 10 years ago (or a little longer) ships were dry-docked every 2 years. Under Carnival Corp they've extended this to 3 and I read on this board recently that they're now targeting 4. It makes one wonder what else isn't being attended to.

I saw a HAL ship in STT once not long ago that also was a bit raggedy. I've not seen a Princess ship is as bad a state, but they're not being drydocked as often either, though because they're white, they may invest in more frequent scrubbings like QM just had. (FYI - that's not allowed in many ports because the process removes paint as well as algae.)

Yesterday Queen Mary 2 called into Bergen, Norway. I was lucky enough to get some good photos of her visit, which I have now added to my blog. I thought these might interest some of you here :).

http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/2014/08/queen-mary-2.html

I was particularly excited as I we have just booked an eastbound transatlantic on QM2 for next January! Counting down the days...

we enjoyed your photos and description of QM2 - we hope to sail

on her westward sailing perhaps in 2016 or 2017;)

I noticed this in some recent photos' date=' too. Glad to know that she was getting a scrub. I'm frankly a lroutine ascked at the lax dry docking schedules. The amount of time between service is far too long and this is the result. All that algae slows the ship down and cuts into her fuel efficiency, if nothing else. 10 years ago (or a little longer) ships were dry-docked every 2 years. Under Carnival Corp they've extended this to 3 and I read on this board recently that they're now targeting 4. It makes one wonder what else isn't being attended to.

I saw a HAL ship in STT once not long ago that also was a bit raggedy. I've not seen a Princess ship is as bad a state, but they're not being drydocked as often either, though because they're white, they may invest in more frequent scrubbings like QM just had. (FYI - that's not allowed in many ports because the process removes paint as well as algae.)[/quote']

I hadn't thought about this being banned in some places, but it makes sense! I'm not sure what the rules are in Bergen. We just saw a little ship alongside QM2 and it was clean forward of this and filthy aft. Not actually certain she was being scrubbed.

I agree it's a bit concerning seeing them stretch those dry-docks further apart. I suppose the majority of work can be undertaken as routine maintenance during active service.

• 3 months later...

I'm guessing (and hoping) that was a joke, made in poor taste?!

If you look at the complete quote:

I've not seen a Princess ship is as bad a state' date=' but they're not being drydocked as often either, though because they're white, they may invest in more frequent scrubbings like QM just had. (FYI - that's not allowed in many ports because the process removes paint as well as algae.)[/quote']

...it has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with algae, etc. being more visible on a white hull vs. a dark one.

Great photos! thanks for sharing :)

But as mentioned, it is such a shame they let her get this dirty and rusty :( its really not a good look for the Queen of the seas! Im hoping that Cunard has been receiving lots of feedback from passengers letting them know that the ship needs to be cleaned more often as it is a topic that has been mentioned on these forums quite a few times now!

Fingers crossed she's nice and clean for my trip on her in Feb :o

Edited by melb1988

• 4 weeks later...
Thankyou for posting these wonderful photos - it makes me all the more excited for our upcoming trip in March.

Many thanks :)

Glad you enjoyed them! I'm just back from a transatlantic on QM2 and she's looking great inside too. I'll try to get some more photos up soon :)