OFF TOPIC, but I just fell on my butt in my kitchen and lower back is killing me

I'm gonna wait and see. I will call my doctor in the morning or go to the ER then. Right now, I'm just numb and afraid to lay down. I have ice on my back and took plenty of advil. Thank goodness my son will be home tomorrow to take me to the ER if necessary. of course, I have to stop into the office first and make sure they don't need me. Aw geez. They would replace me in a minute if they wanted to. My priorities are all screwed up.

I did that several years ago during a snow storm - came home took off my shoes and promply slid down the steps landing on ceramic tile. Like an idiot I drove to work ( 1 1/2 hrs ) the next day - I literally had to stand at work -

warm baths and percocets - Bone Bruises do not go away - ask someone who had a bone marrow tap - no way to really dull the pain. Get donut from the surgical supply - it does help

Ice, ice and more ice. Only use heat to loosen the stiffness in the morning and then apply more ice. 2 Advil every four hours will reduce the swelling.

You mentioned you felt like you were in labor - Does your stomach area hurt? Could you have damaged your spleen?

Hope you feel better in the AM.

All of the above, and get the donut thingy at a medical supply store. You'll need it, and it makes a diff.

I broke my tailbone falling on concrete steps once.

Also, do NOT, under ANY circumstances, look at your butt in the mirror about 3 days from now. It will scare the crap out of you!!

Good luck, and don't forget to have it x-rayed and checked out. Don't want to mess with anything near the spinal cord. So promise all of us you'll get it checked. We're subscribed to this thread, so we'll nag you if you don't respond back tomorow.

Treatment for such an injury is ice for thr first 24 hrs. then heat. Take some advil if you can tolerate it, if not take tylenol. The donut will be very beneficial, and you really should have it checked in the am. Good luck!

Thanks for all your advice. I survived the night and can still walk this morning. Taking more advil to get me to work where I will start making phone calls. First to my internist and ask his recommendation (i.e., ortho guy or ER) and hopefully he'll call in a script for some percs. If not, I may have son score me some doobies, lol.

and broke my tailbone. Funny the ER came out to the car with a wheelchair for me to sit in. NO WAY, I knelt in it. Told to lay on a door for a week, a soft matress is worse for constant contact. I sleep on my tummy, so that was OK. Forget driving, walking, climbin stairs. First thing in the AM you can hardly walk.

Took a good 3 weeks til I was mobile & that was not for jogging either. I do predict weather quite well with it to this day.

Thanks for all your advice. I survived the night and can still walk this morning. Taking more advil to get me to work where I will start making phone calls. First to my internist and ask his recommendation (i.e., ortho guy or ER) and hopefully he'll call in a script for some percs. If not, I may have son score me some doobies, lol.

Be careful with those percocets. Take it from someone who knows. I was on them after spinal surgery two years ago. I saw all manner of vermin in my living room crawling over the shutters and furniture. My skin felt like it was sliding off my bones. And I thought Satan was alive and living in my basement. :eek:

Beth

I have taken pain killers in the past for my migraines but for my gall bladder surgery, I got generic percocet (endocet) and I took a whole one (as prescribed) and the horrific cramping in my stomach was worse than the pain I was already having! The nurse's response, be sure to eat something first dear. It was taking me nearly 2 hours to eat half a turkey sandwich I was so nauseous!!

I didnt take them as often as prescibed so I suffered a good bit but now discovered taking half a pill works good for my headaches:)

If I had it to do over, I would have stayed overnight that first night:(

First off, one should not come to a cruise forum for medical advice. The advice to take tylenol and advil at the same time can be particularly bad since they've decided it can cause serious harm. They should be spaced at least two hours apart from what we were told at the hospital last time this came up. Whether it's potential kidney problems (advil) or liver complications (tyleno) I don't recall but they aren't supposed to be taken at together.

If you haven't already GO TO THE ER. At the least you've bruised your butt. Towards the worst end of it you could have a compression facture and if left untreated for to long, could cause swelling the might impinge upon you spinal cord causing extreme pain to partial paralysis (unlikely but a possibilty).

At any rate this is NOT the place to get medical advice. If you hurt, GO SEE A DOCTOR NOW!

On the other hand, it's people who allow a potentially minor problem become a major problem that's put my kids through college so what the heck, stay home, drink some booze, pop some over the counter pain remedies and empty the ice chest if that really sounds like the logical thing to do when you're in severe pain.

Please, go get medical attention and I sincerely hope that it's just a bruised butt and a bruised ego. But leave the diagnosis to the medical field and the cruise advice to the members of this forum. After all, I bet you don't go to your doctor which cruise advice. Why would you come here for medical advice? ;)

dougp26364 - I am sure since justaknucklehead hurt herself so late in the evening that she just wanted to talk to someone and get a little advice. She considers CC to be her friends and a comfort. She has already said that she was calling her intern for advice this morning.

BTW - I don't go to my physician to give him advice about cruising, but he always asked my advice when I see him and has even invited my DH and I over for dinner to get advice for planning his next cruise. :D

I hope you are seeking medical help for your fall. Coming from someone that has had problems with their back for 17 years, I tend to listen to my doctor.

Be careful taking Advil and Tylenol and mixing it with alcohol. This really isn't good for stomach, or your liver.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Too bad you didn't fall at a large department store - you could overtreat for 18 months, then sue them and get enough money for 10 cruises !!

Sorry, I'm at work and it's still two weeks til I head to Vancouver for my Alaskan cruise and I'm on burnout right now - I'm a claims adjuster!!

Hope you feel better soon!

Beth, I thought that the kids had moved out?!?!?!??!

Carol :)

Yes they have and the minute the last one was gone - we sold it. :D Bought a condo and never looked back.

Yep! Those were quite the hallucinations. I thought the entrance to hell was down those basement stairs. No way I'd go near them. Nope - no way. :o

Beth

Archived