Mini-Review: Freedom of the Seas 8/3/14

Just returning to a mountain of work and emails, so I don't have time to write a full review of our cruise right now, but wanted to share the highlights for the benefit of those sailing soon.

Embarkation:

We arrived at the parking garage at 10:30-ish, no others in Priority Check-In line, waited a bit in seating area, then were in the first group on the ship. Seated in Windjammer by 11:30, rooms ready at 1:00.

Dining:

I am not a fan of buffet dining, usually avoid the Windjammer at all costs, but it suited DD's dietary needs the best. Although it was chaotic, I was completely impressed by the variety and quality of the food offered. At peak times (before cabins were ready on first day and waiting to arrive in port), many people camped out at tables long after they had finished eating. The staff had to make announcements asking them to move on so that others could be seated to eat.

We had MTD and had made reservations for the same time every night. The maitre'd accommodated our request for the same servers/section each night, which almost made it feel like traditional dining. Even with reservations, we waited 5-10 minutes most nights to be seated, no biggie. Service and food was very good. Food quality seemed better than our other recent RCL cruises.

Cabin/Ship Condition:

I had feared that things might be a little "tired," since FOS will be in dry dock this winter. But my fears were unfounded ~ our cabin and the ship in general seemed in great condition.

This is the first time that I have slept well on a ship. Our beds had memory foam mattress toppers, which were heavenly.

Crew/Staff:

Very impressed with everyone that we interacted with, from the Captain to the maintenance workers. All were friendly and seemed genuinely eager to provide a great vacation. I don't usually notice the Cruise Director much, but Rich Edwards was exceptional in terms of MCing entertainment events and providing helpful information in his morning TV show. Activites Director Isabelle O'Brien was great, too.

C&A Diamond Benefits:

There were daily cocktails in the Diamond Lounge from 4:30 - 8:00 AND 3 vouchers loaded on our cards for the same time period. It was nice to have the option to visit other venues, but we really enjoyed the views from the Lounge. We did not ever visit in the morning for breakfast, so can't comment there.

Our favorite Diamond benefit this time was the option of sitting in Chops to eat our breakfast and lunch. (Food from Windjammer, just drinks and coffee provided in Chops during these times.) It was nice to escape the clamor of the Windjammer. (From what I understand, the inclusion of Diamonds in this benefit - vs. just Diamond Plus and Pinnacle - may vary from sailing to sailing or ship to ship.)

The only glitch with preloaded C&A coupons we had was redeeming the free 60 minutes of Internet. The computers gave a message that coupons were not available at this time and that we should go ahead and purchase the $29.95 package, then go to Guest Services to have the charges reversed. When I tried this with the package for my card, the staffer in Guest Services had no idea what I was talking about, and it took a long time for her to figure it out. I mentioned this to the Diamond Concierge, and he said that he was aware of the disconnect and would talk to Guest Services. By the time that I redeemed the other one, Guest Services was able to quickly reverse the charge.

Ports:

Labadee: for us, a beach day, no excursions.

Falmouth, Jamaica: Dreamer Catamaran, purchased through the ship. Very nice cat, crew and good snorkeling spot off Montego Bay. This trip is considered an eco-tour and included a sail through the mangroves with crew bringing various sea life aboard for us to see/touch.

Grand Cayman: Catamaran Sail & Snorkel, purchased through the ship. (We purchased this specifically to avoid Stingray City stop.) Even nicer cat and crew, snorkeling on wreck of Kittiwake and at marine park.

Cozumel: beach day at Nachi Cocum all-inclusive arranged independently. Lovely day in our own reserved palapa, with included cocktails and delicious lunch. Watersports (Jet Skis, stand-up paddle boards, paddle boats, banana boat rides, parasailing and snorkeling gear) available at an additional charge.

Disembarkation:

We were assigned Group 20 and waited in designated C&A departure lounge until our number was called at the promised time of 8:30. We claimed luggage, cleared Customs, and were in the car on the road by 9:00. This was one of the most organized disembarkations that we have experienced.

Express Walk-Off was available, meeting time was 6:45.

Miscellaneous:

Chair hogs were out in force, but we could secure chairs on the level overlooking pool if we got out there by 10:00. I did not see any instances of pool staff removing belongings left over 30 minutes.

Dress code was not enforced in MTD. Saw numerous t-shirt and shorts combos on formal night. Not expressing any opinion pro or con, just reporting what I observed. ;)

So, this seems to have become a bit longer than a mini-review. Hopefully that shows how much we enjoyed our cruise on the Freedom!

Will be happy to answer any specific questions if I can.

The only glitch with preloaded C&A coupons we had was redeeming the free 60 minutes of Internet. The computers gave a message that coupons were not available at this time and that we should go ahead and purchase the $29.95 package, then go to Guest Services to have the charges reversed.

Nice job with the quick report. This doesn't surprise me. Sometimes I think RC is run by the same people that run my company and different compartments don't always communicate. Guest Services seems to be one that doesn't communicate with others the most, so this doesn't surprise me. Frequently on this cruise line the Loyalty Ambassador's desk will have a sign that says, "Call Guest Services for an appointment" then when you call Guest Services they say, "Just show up"

Thanks for taking the time do a quick review.

My question is about the ship reserving the chair space on 1 or both sides of the pool bar. This would be on the stairs between the pool deck and deck 12. I seem to remember a recent picture of a few tables and "clam shell" cabanas in this section. I don't know if this is for suite guests only or if RCI is looking for extra revenue for people to reserve this space (like the cabanas or clam shells on Coco Cay).

Please let me know if you can.

Thank you

Thanks for taking the time do a quick review.

My question is about the ship reserving the chair space on 1 or both sides of the pool bar. This would be on the stairs between the pool deck and deck 12. I seem to remember a recent picture of a few tables and "clam shell" cabanas in this section. I don't know if this is for suite guests only or if RCI is looking for extra revenue for people to reserve this space (like the cabanas or clam shells on Coco Cay).

Please let me know if you can.

Thank you

otterman, I don't recall seeing any clam shell cabanas anywhere on the ship. And I think that this area used to be reserved for suite guests in the past, but I did not see any evidence that it was at all restricted on our cruise. In fact, it was one of the first areas to fill up on sea days.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review! I'm going on FOS for my next cruise. Cannot WAIT!

Question about Nachi Cocum: Do you think a 15 year old would enjoy it?

I think so. They would have the beach and pool and unlimited soft drinks. They could also take part in optional (extra cost) activities like snorkeling, wave runners, etc.

Edited by clarea

I think so. They would have the beach and pool and unlimited soft drinks. They could also take part in optional (extra cost) activities like snorkeling, wave runners, etc.

Awesome! I was trying to decide between Nachi and Mr. Sancho's. He's got a friend who's been to Mr. Sancho's twice and said it was great but I really don't want the party atmosphere. Plus, my parents will be going with us and I'm sure they'd want to relax more as well.

Thanks again!

Falmouth, Jamaica: Dreamer Catamaran, purchased through the ship. Very nice cat, crew and good snorkeling spot off Montego Bay. This trip is considered an eco-tour and included a sail through the mangroves with crew bringing various sea life for us

This sounds good,will have to try it next time we are in Falmouth. Thank you for the review.

You mentioned the Diamond Lounge hours and thus the drink hours were 4:30 to 8, correct? That's earlier than I thought but will be great!

Since Freedom has traditional dining at 5:30pm instead of 6pm, they also adjust the DL/CL cocktail hours to be 30 minutes early.

Awesome! I was trying to decide between Nachi and Mr. Sancho's. He's got a friend who's been to Mr. Sancho's twice and said it was great but I really don't want the party atmosphere. Plus, my parents will be going with us and I'm sure they'd want to relax more as well.

Thanks again!

We've been to Nachi twice with our daughters who were in their late teens at the time. It is a great beach day for teens. It is quieter than other beach clubs, but there are activities (for pay) that are available. Our daughters went parasailing both times. I highly recommend Nachi Cocom.