Windstar Copies Azamara with Private Events

TravelBugM

Many cruise lines are offering similar events. RCCL sister company Celebrity, recently announced Signature Events, on selected sailings.

[URL]http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/whats-new?event_date=2014-08-01&sequence_code=a&pageNumber[/URL]=

i always thought the Azamazing evenings were one of the things that made Azamara very special, but the concept is getting somewhat diluted now. On the bright side, Azamara has a great deal of experience with it, and should be able to deliver a superior experience, especially as the ships are much smaller, as compared to Celebrity.

[quote name='Host Jazzbeau']Celebrity! I can hardly imagine the logistics of getting 400 people to an Azamazing event. But 4000??? No way. This would work much better for them as a suites-only perk.[/quote]

Hi HostJazzbeau,

Celebrity's largest ships carry closer to 3000 guests, but I get your point. I also wonder how it could work on such a large scale. Perhaps they believe a fair amount of guests may not go to the special events. I cant possibly see how 3000 guests going on the same event can work effectively, unless they are taking them to Yankee Stadium :)

But then again, as we all know, the folks who think of such things, rarely think it through, to consider all of the details and possibilities. Let's hope it works out successfully ! Edited by Host Andy

Having sailed iWindstar, they always had private events . Advertising them is new. Windstar has fewer passengers. I recently attended an event that was excellent......beach party on Pigeon Island. Entertainment, fabulous BBQ , and lots of fun. It was well coordinated.. And, nobody has to prebook the event. Attend if you want. Stay on the ship if you want. Choice is yours. When I booked that cruise, I did not know about the event. It was a complete surprise. Loved it.

[quote name='Host Andy']

i always thought the Azamazing evenings were one of the things that made Azamara very special, but the concept is getting somewhat diluted now. On the bright side, Azamara has a great deal of experience with it, and should be able to deliver a superior experience, especially as the ships are much smaller, as compared to Celebrity.[/QUOTE]
Andy, that is a bit unfair I think. The AzAmazing evenings I've attended have all been very enjoyable and in no way did I think they were diluted. You have to go to one and experience it to make up your own mind.

Phil

[quote name='excitedofharpenden']Andy, that is a bit unfair I think. The AzAmazing evenings I've attended have all been very enjoyable and in no way did I think they were diluted. You have to go to one and experience it to make up your own mind.

Phil[/quote]

Hi Phil,

I think you may have misunderstood my comment, or perhaps I wasnt clear. I'm only saying the entire concept might be getting diluted, as other lines are trying to offer similar type events. From what we've read on here, I have no doubts that Azamara does a great job with their Azamazing evenings. Perhaps I will experience it someday.

Perhaps the fact that others are trying to emulate Azamara, is a huge compliment to what Azamara offers. Edited by Host Andy

[quote name='Host Andy']Many cruise lines are offering similar events. RCCL sister company Celebrity, recently announced Signature Events, on selected sailings.

[URL]http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/whats-new?event_date=2014-08-01&sequence_code=a&pageNumber[/URL]=

i always thought the Azamazing evenings were one of the things that made Azamara very special, but the concept is getting somewhat diluted now. On the bright side, Azamara has a great deal of experience with it, and should be able to deliver a superior experience, especially as the ships are much smaller, as compared to Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

SilverSea does too.

HAL does on some of their bigger voyages such as bringing on local entertainers and having a party.

The ones I looked at quickly that Celebrity is advertising look like they may be more like shores excursions you pay for such as Rio Carnival. Edited by Jade13

[quote name='Jade13']The ones I looked at quickly that Celebrity is advertising look like they may be more like shores excursions you pay for such as Rio Carnival.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. Crystal does similar limited excursions -- they do an evening concert in Ephesus that sounds very similar to one of the Azamazing Evenings. The difference is that you have to pay big bucks to attend, which keeps the numbers down.

All of the added features on all of the cruise lines are nice. Private events or whole ship outings are becoming common. It isn't free. You pay for it in your basic cruise fare. The real difference with Azamara compared to events on other cruise lines is the penalty charge. If you reserve an Amazing Event and do not attend , you get billed a penalty charge. Don't remember the amount....something like $100 or $150pp. That doesn't make sense.

I think it's $100, but really wonder how many times they have actually charged it? I cancelled very last minute on my cruise in June and there was no question of a charge being made. If I just hadn't shown up then it might have been different, but how do they know you haven't attended, aside from checking who has not left the ship?

Phil

[quote name='Jade13']SilverSea does too.

HAL does on some of their bigger voyages such as bringing on local entertainers and having a party.

The ones I looked at quickly that Celebrity is advertising look like they may be more like shores excursions you pay for such as Rio Carnival.[/QUOTE]

We've done quite a few on Regent (formerly Radisson), our first was in 2005 but I think they only did them on longer cruises, maybe 30 days or longer. We had approximately 100-200 people, no way it would have worked the places we went with many more than that. I'm not sure if they're still doing them or not ?? In former days they even took us to Bangkok (via bus) and put everyone up in a 1st class hotel for the night with lots of sight seeing thrown in.

[quote name='wripro']Private events have been around much longer than Azamara.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I'm sure that in some cases (like our Crystal visit to St. Marks in Venice with only 6 passengers in the entire basilica) the private events are even more special. But my example of Ephesus shows how AzAmazing evenings can be a real benefit: Crystal charges $300 pp for essentially the same event that Azamara provides for "free."

Hello All,

The AzAmazing Evenings have been very well received by our guests and as you know are included in the tariff. Those of you that have experienced them know they are unique, bespoke, cultural events that feature the essence of who we are and stand for, destination immersion. If you reserve a AE event and then cancel prior to the day of the event there is no cancellation charge. The reason we charge a cx fee if someone reserves and then does not show up, is, Azamara is paying our business partners at the local event for you to attend. So while we do not charge you for the AE event, we get charged by our business partners who conduct the events around the world. Hope this clears up any questions you might have.

Here are some images of the incredible AE event in Liverpool last Thursday aboard Azamara Journey - these have been also posted on our social networks and website =
[url]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7ovkjqstduo9zh/AADvBqFKrEAqjMiwDeN0ZisXa[/url]

Thank you - Joel.