New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

The Dive-In is located a few feet from the indoor pool and provides window take-out service (trays).  Dive In Menu   There are lots of tables nearby to eat or you can take your tray of food back to your stateroom.  The nearby tables have stewards offering free iced tea, lemonade, and ice water.  In addition, bar servers from the pool bar (a one minute walk away) will take drink orders.  Pool Bars Menu

Typical Vista Class Dive In

image.jpeg.bddbfbf8e053b00f71f837275b58da11.jpeg

Hi Crew News.... I noticed on your user id you have a tiny "Rare".  I also noticed that someone else had that.  How did you get that commendation.  I also love this picture and the menus you added to this post. 

1 hour ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Do we get white robes in our cabin, or can we ask for one, or do I have to bring my own.

You can also ask for oversized robe if you want a more generous fit than the OSFA (one size fits all) that's in your cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BaldiePete said:

We have pre-paid crew appreciation on our cruise this summer. What does this include? Will it cover the 18% service charge for beverage purchases that are outside our drinks package and speciality restaurant bookings? TIA. 

The Crew Appreciation is commonly referred to as "tips" or "gratuities" currently $17 or $19/day pp depending on cabin type. It is pooled and distributed to cabin stewards, dining servers and other crew. It is completely different than the 18% drink and spa service (tip) charge.

19 hours ago, 0106 said:

The drink package can’t be used at Half Moon Cay.  The Dive In only serves food and milk shakes.  I’ve never ordered a milk shake but they may not be part of the package.  There is a bar by the Lido pool very close to the Dive In and servers who will bring you a drink too.

Get a milkshake otherwise you’re missing out on a real treat. They are excellent and as an added bonus, since you got it on a cruise ship - it doesn’t contain any calories!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, deeeeeeem said:

Thanks (both)! I guess that’s the ‘problem’ indeed, I don’t think the milkshakes are included indeed. Good to know there are plenty of other options! 🙂 

I believe that the milkshakes ARE included in the drink package. You order the milkshakes at the Dive-in but they are made and you pick them up at the bar area around the corner from the Dive-in. 

26 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

The Crew Appreciation is commonly referred to as "tips" or "gratuities" currently $17 or $19/day pp depending on cabin type. It is pooled and distributed to cabin stewards, dining servers and other crew. It is completely different than the 18% drink and spa service (tip) charge.

@Haljo1935, I know you have been on the Oosterdam recently. Can't remember if it was before or after the crew appreciation was increased. We have pre paid tips with our HIA some time ago. Were you charged the difference onboard?

21 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Thank you.  I see that you too have a rare commendation on your user profile.  I still wonder what that means.

I have no clue🤷🏻‍♀️

11 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

I have no clue🤷🏻‍♀️

33 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Thank you.  I see that you too have a rare commendation on your user profile.  I still wonder what that means.

I went to @Nickelpenny profile and clicked on her badge.  Hers was for a Holiday Sharing… which I guess explains the use of the gingerbread man.  Mine are for live reviews, although not all of my lives were included so it’s anyone’s guess why only certain ones are chosen.

IMG_1242.thumb.jpeg.f3cf80dfeb824349768cbb49c296a326.jpeg

If you go to this thread it will explain the different badges:

FAQ: Badges

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I went to @Nickelpenny profile and clicked on her badge.  Hers was for a Holiday Sharing… which I guess explains the use of the gingerbread man.  Mine are for live reviews, although not all of my lives were included so it’s anyone’s guess why only certain ones are chosen.

IMG_1242.thumb.jpeg.f3cf80dfeb824349768cbb49c296a326.jpeg

If you go to this thread it will explain the different badges:

FAQ: Badges

thank you so very much for your explanation and for the thread you provided.  My curiosity got the best of me.

• Thanks 2

On the increased crew appreciation cost question- in my experience, if you have included crew appreciation as part of a promotion or you prepaid yourself before the cruise and paid whatever the website charged you, you will not be charged the difference for the higher cost when you sail if it is after the price increase effective date. 

It is possible that after they announce an increase in the daily charge, and you are sailing after the effective date, that the prepaid option by paying on the website will be at the higher price (once they get their IT on it). 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Hi Crew News.... I noticed on your user id you have a tiny "Rare".  I also noticed that someone else had that.  How did you get that commendation.  I also love this picture and the menus you added to this post. 

My badges are for posting "live from" reviews here on CC during my cruise.  "Live reviews" provide future cruisers the opportunity to ask questions and get live answers from my interaction with the crew.  I also carry a little notebook with recurring questions that I pose to the crew on every cruise and include in my "live reviews". I have been doing "live reviews" for a number of years but HAL just recently started giving badges for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello, have never cruised and am very interested in HA to the British Isles in May 2026 (as a kind of reward after a major goal reached).  

• How early is way too early to book the cruise?  And do most of you use a travel agent, especially in something with so many moving parts with  going overseas?
  • Has anyone done the 15 night cruse around Scotland and Ireland?  I especially wanted Belfast and Loch Ness, but of course it's all good.
  • Can you add on pre-or post trip stays, like a few days in London?

Thank you so much for your time!  I'm sure I'll be around many times in the two years until the cruise.

8 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

@Haljo1935, I know you have been on the Oosterdam recently. Can't remember if it was before or after the crew appreciation was increased. We have pre paid tips with our HIA some time ago. Were you charged the difference onboard?

Mine was after the previous increase, before this most recent increase. I was not charged the difference; however, some report they have been charged. And unfortunately I don't know why the difference. 

When I've prepaid, I didn't see grat charges on my statement at all, but some report getting the prepaid amount as a credit then seeing a daily charge of the increased amount on their statement. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, guihong02 said:

Hello, have never cruised and am very interested in HA to the British Isles in May 2026 (as a kind of reward after a major goal reached).  

• How early is way too early to book the cruise?  And do most of you use a travel agent, especially in something with so many moving parts with  going overseas?
  • Has anyone done the 15 night cruse around Scotland and Ireland?  I especially wanted Belfast and Loch Ness, but of course it's all good.

Thank you so much for your time!  I'm sure I'll be around many times in the two years until the cruise.

WOW. You are a brand newbie. Welcome to Cruise Critic. I'm sure you will find everything you are looking for right here. We are really a friendly bunch of folks. I can't answer your question about the British Isles sailing but someone here most certainly can. Welcome!

Edited by FLCruiser97
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, guihong02 said:

Hello, have never cruised and am very interested in HA to the British Isles in May 2026 (as a kind of reward after a major goal reached)...

Welcome to HAL!!

I have not cruised London, but I have cruised in/out Rome a couple times. Both times,  we added a few extra days in Rome on front and back ends. We arranged those extra days ourselves, not through HAL. I would imagine you could do the same for London.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, regan3 said:

Does HAL have hand washing stations outside the buffet?

All ships have restrooms aft of the buffet as well as hand sanitizing points at the entrances to the buffet.  Some ships have hand washing stations inside the buffet.

Koningsdam

image.jpeg.cb5cf4fc975b5e3b534302d75e734f65.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, guihong02 said:

Welcome! 

• Book early is my mantra. Book a refundable deposit and watch the price. If you’re fanatical check every few days, weeks or months. There are apps for this price watching too! Yes, definitely I use a travel agent. What location are you from… guessing North America as you reference overseas. 

• I have had a similar cruise booked about 5 times including this coming summer and it just seems to not happen. A great itinerary. Consider finding a similar 2024 and 2025 itinerary and read and “follow” their cruise critic board. Also of course the 2026 one for your sailing if it’s been started. You will learn so much from the generosity of others.

• Definitely add on a few days. I find, for me, before is better to add on as it helps with jet lag and you’re still full of enthusiasm and energy! After I usually become focused on getting home so it’s less easy to enjoy my surroundings!

• Consider cruise air. Bookable about 330 days out. Refundable until close to cruise. You can still do cruise air with a few days before or after. 
    There are threads on here about getting from London to Southampton.

• Consider doing a few smaller cruises before your big celebration one! 

• Ask away! Folks are very generous with their time and wisdom!

• Like 1