Celebrity Canceled Our Excursion and Now Were Stuck

EatSleepCruise

We had booked an excursion to do a Mendenhall Glacier tour with Dog Sledding for our Alaskan cruise on Celebrity Solstice back on March 7th. Our cruise leaves in less than three weeks on September 5th.

We were just informed today, via email, that the tour has been canceled. When I called, I was given no reason why.

When I tried to book the next comparable tour, that tour had only one slot open! I guess they did not expect my wife to join me on the tour, considering it is already in the system that we are celebrating our wedding anniversary while onboard.

They suggested I book the open slot and then "maybe" the tour director can get us another slot. Even though I expressed my disappointment they still asked to charge my credit card to reserve the one spot in the hopes that another slot would open up. Just in bad taste. Awful customer service and poor way to treat your clients.

Now I am stuck waiting for them to call me tomorrow to see if magically, they can find room for my wife on this other excursion. Although, let's be honest, I would be the one stuck on the ship while she enjoyed the excursion;) if there was truly only one spot available

We called one private operator and she was already booked too. We have emails out to other tour providers to see if they have any open slots on similar tours. This close to the sailing date, I am skeptical anything will be available.

No apology by the cruise line or an attempt to compensate us given we are part of the RCI family and sailing as a "Select" passengars on Celebrity.

What a way to start our trip!

Have you checked the Alaska forum on Cruise Critic? You can probably book a tour on your own that is comparable to the one Celebrity cancelled. It's late to do that, but there are a lot of vendors so you can at least get on several waiting lists.

Have you checked the Alaska forum on Cruise Critic? You can probably book a tour on your own that is comparable to the one Celebrity cancelled. It's late to do that, but there are a lot of vendors so you can at least get on several waiting lists.

Thanks Host Jazzbeau. I have three emails out to other tour operators this evening who do similar tours. My concern, as you point out, has to do with the timing. If I do not hear back from any of the emails, I am going to give a few operators a call tomorrow. Just more added stress after we thought we had everything all set and ready to go.:eek:

Thanks again for the suggestion!

We had booked an excursion to do a Mendenhall Glacier tour with Dog Sledding for our Alaskan cruise on Celebrity Solstice back on March 7th. Our cruise leaves in less than three weeks on September 5th.

We were just informed today, via email, that the tour has been canceled. When I called, I was given no reason why.

When I tried to book the next comparable tour, that tour had only one slot open! I guess they did not expect my wife to join me on the tour, considering it is already in the system that we are celebrating our wedding anniversary while onboard.

They suggested I book the open slot and then "maybe" the tour director can get us another slot. Even though I expressed my disappointment they still asked to charge my credit card to reserve the one spot in the hopes that another slot would open up. Just in bad taste. Awful customer service and poor way to treat your clients.

Now I am stuck waiting for them to call me tomorrow to see if magically, they can find room for my wife on this other excursion. Although, let's be honest, I would be the one stuck on the ship while she enjoyed the excursion;) if there was truly only one spot available

We called one private operator and she was already booked too. We have emails out to other tour providers to see if they have any open slots on similar tours. This close to the sailing date, I am skeptical anything will be available.

No apology by the cruise line or an attempt to compensate us given we are part of the RCI family and sailing as a "Select" passengars on Celebrity.

How disappointing for you. I understand that these excursions to the glacier get cancelled many times due to inclement weather...that would be understandable. But to cancel you and your wife three weeks ahead of time without an explanation is unacceptable. We are booked for an Alaskan cruise next summer on The Infinity and are planning on booking the same excursion. After your experience, I will be booking it through a private tour company. I truly hope that another spot is found for you as this will be a major highlight on your cruise. But I'm sure you will have a most enjoyable cruise nevertheless since the scenery is awesome. This will be our second Alaskan cruise. We tried to do the dog sledding twice last cruise..but it was cancelled each time due to bad weather. Crossing my fingers for you and us...good luck and Bon Voyage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruzemaven

Quite a lot of the dog sledging is over for the season at the end of August from what providers have said when I emailed - bear that in mind in your plans. You could find the other trip cancelled as well

Edited by uktog

.....No apology by the cruise line or an attempt to compensate us given we are part of the RCI family and sailing as a "Select" passengars on Celebrity.

Yes, I understand it is a huge disappointment, but the small print reads the same for all passengers......"status" does not alter anything!

Quite a lot of the dog sledging is over for the season at the end of August from what providers have said when I emailed - bear that in mind in your plans. You could find the other trip cancelled as well

Thanks uktog. That is what I am hearing too.

Not a big deal if we do not do the dog sled portion (just means another trip to Alaska to do that), but we really wanted to do the helicopter tour and walk on Mendenhall glacier. The two offerings for that type of excursion on Celebrity are all booked

Once we had an entire cruise canceled by royal Caribbean. They have us some OBC, but had only two weeks to rebook, and half of one week was thanksgiving holiday. They should have given us a lot more time.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

Edited by knittinggirl

Thanks uktog. That is what I am hearing too.

Not a big deal if we do not do the dog sled portion (just means another trip to Alaska to do that), but we really wanted to do the helicopter tour and walk on Mendenhall glacier. The two offerings for that type of excursion on Celebrity are all booked

Call Coastal Helicopters. If you can't get them, call Carol at Orca and see what she recommends.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

As with all things Celebrity, shoreside service is much different than ships side service.

Board, go straight to excursions and see what's open. They may even be keeping a list on board to see if enough people want to sign up to add the excursion back, or have cancellations or changes etc. Or may be able to add more people to the group by adjusting with the excursion provider...

Things get very fluid once people board.

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.

Celebrity just contacted me that they were able to get us on the other helicopter tour that lands on Mendenhall glacier. I am still going to take folks advice and call around when I get out of work today to see if a couple of the suggested tour operators have any availability.

While it might be possible that a few openings could open up onboard, we always like to have our plans firmly set before boarding. We have been playing this trip since last September when we booked, so winging it at the last minute is just too risky for us!

Now just keeping our fingers crossed that the weather cooperates while in Alaska and we can actually get on the glacier!!

Thanks again:)

Highly suggest you contact TEMSCO helicopters direct and ask about the Pilot's Choice. We took this and landed twice on the glacier. That day we went they had cancelled the dog sledding and we flew right over where the dog camp was at. One of the best things we did on the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums