Predictions on Pricing (Summer 2015 Med)

I know that others have posted about pricing, but I am boggled.

I am looking at the 7 day on Splendour in mid-late May out of Venice. For 7 days they want over $2000 for a balcony. For 2 people it works out to $700/night. I can stay in some really nice hotels in Europe and eat well for that kind of cash.

Instead, I booked a 14 day out of Southampton for the same amount. However, I'm not thrilled with that itinerary. Thinking of canceling...

Celebrity has 12 day runs for the same as Royal. Norwegian has 14 day runs for less.

What is up Royal? You're pricing out even the most loyal.

I know...supply and demand. But still, $2300 for a 7 night in a balcony is crazy. It's not even peak season yet (June/July/August). I expected $1500ish.

Any predictions?

It seems to me Royal is in the midst of an experiment with pricing, whereby they have periodic sales that bring prices down, but between sales the pricing is ridiculous. Hopefully, enough people decide to go to other lines, and the experiment will end soon.

Hopefully, enough people decide to go to other lines, and the experiment will end soon.

I like this part of your statement. We're pretty close to it....I really want a Venice cruise (more than Norway or Spain). I feel like I am compromising and picking itineraries based on price, instead of choosing based on my travel interests.

Given our cruising style, I think we would be OK on any major line.

I agree. When browsing cruises and "dreaming" of our next adventures, the prices seem a little high. I don't have a good answer for it. It's almost as though it's a psychological experiment: they are increasing the prices and then having a sale. You think you're getting a deal, but really you're paying close to the original price.

On our most recent cruise, during a conversation with our waiter, he said, "The cost of food has increased and the cost of cruising has gone down." I thought to myself, "Really?? Because this is the most expensive cruise fare that we've paid thus far."

Edited by cruisePAC

I agree. We have a party of six looking at the Med. Norweign is less expensive.

Besides on a Med cruise we just eat and sleep on the ship. It's all about the ports. We went on Carnival Liberty when it was new to the Med and had a great time. I'm looking at the prices and itinerary and go with the best price and ship.

We just did a 7-day Western Med cruise in May on the Norwegian Epic, for a balcony we paid $1,239/person. I'm a Royal Caribbean fan but the dates and itinerary we wanted worked better with Norwegian this time.

If you want to predict prices in the future, see what happened in the past. Look up that sailing or a similar one for this year to see pricing trends - it very likely that trend will repeat next year.:cool:

I have and these prices are much higher than normal. I've been considering this route for several years and so have kept my eye on it.

If you want to predict prices in the future, see what happened in the past. Look up that sailing or a similar one for this year to see pricing trends - it very likely that trend will repeat next year.:cool:

Can someone give me a hint on where to find the site that shows the historical pricing?

I know that others have posted about pricing, but I am boggled.

I am looking at the 7 day on Splendour in mid-late May out of Venice. For 7 days they want over $2000 for a balcony. For 2 people it works out to $700/night. I can stay in some really nice hotels in Europe and eat well for that kind of cash.

I took this cruise this past July 2014, paid a total of $5183.72 for 2 people. Expensive but well worth it, especially since the Splendour was one of the most beautifully kept ships I've been on. As long as there are suckers like me willing to pay those prices, Royal will probably keep them up in that range.

For anyone coming from the US you also have to add in the cost of the roundtrip airfare and a pre-cruise hotel stay +meals -- gets to be pretty pricing.:(

Can't blame the higher cost on rising fuel prices since they have actually dropped.

Noticing on the Quantum board that the TA voyage over to Bayonne there will be paying passengers on board. Seems like RCCL is looking for money wherever they can find it.

MARAPRINCE

While those who track RCI's pricing closer than I do (like Bob) may have an answer closer to the mark, here's my take.

As of 18 June this year, all ships will have to burn low sulfur distillate fuel (0.1% sulfur diesel rather than the 3.5% sulfur heavy fuel oil) (40+% costlier than heavy fuel) when in ANY EU port, not just those in the North Sea or Baltic ECA's. Further, within the existing North Sea and Baltic ECA's, the sulfur limit dropped as of June to 1% (this low sulfur heavy fuel is 20+% costlier than high sulfur fuel). There has been talk of making either the Sea of Marmara, or the entire Med (or both) into an ECA, and perhaps RCI knows more of the status of this legislation than I am.

I believe those who cruise in Europe will start to see the pricing increases that have affected the US since the implementation of the US ECA.

Scrubbers are another answer to the ECA's, but these take time to order, manufacture, and install, have a considerable capital expense ($1-1.5 million per engine), and have a 5+ year pay-back period, depending on how much time the ship spends in the ECA. This affects how the board can present this technology to the shareholders.

I'm not sure if this is linked to the problem but over here in the UK we are going through a "All inclusive drinks and gratuities" promotion from RCI for all European cruises in summer 2015. It's not actually all inclusive drinks but that's another story....

What it is doing though is sending sales and prices through the roof, my friend who is a TA has never sold so many Royal cruises. If this is being replicated throughout Europe then it will be distorting current prices.

I'm not sure if this is linked to the problem but over here in the UK we are going through a "All inclusive drinks and gratuities" promotion from RCI for all European cruises in summer 2015. It's not actually all inclusive drinks but that's another story....

What it is doing though is sending sales and prices through the roof, my friend who is a TA has never sold so many Royal cruises. If this is being replicated throughout Europe then it will be distorting current prices.

A lot of UK sailings for next year have risen by £600 - £900 over the last 6 weeks. You get nothing for free with RCI.

I took this cruise this past July 2014, paid a total of $5183.72 for 2 people. Expensive but well worth it, especially since the Splendour was one of the most beautifully kept ships I've been on. As long as there are suckers like me willing to pay those prices, Royal will probably keep them up in that range.

Wow! I guess we got a good price, we paid $100 less than this for two of us for 16 nights on Adventure in a D2 balcony on deck 8, we leave Sept 16. I've been watching the prices and they're insane now.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's all about supply and demand.

The recent sales/promotions have filled many ships up, so the prices have gone up. Royal continues to use promotions as a way to fill their ships, and from the look of it, it's working. Their ships are filling up, and prices continue to go up. Im guessing their pricing won't change from it's current course.

What remains to be seen is if the people that booked at cheap rates will actually cruise. Will they actually spend money onboard. If they do, we maybe seeing a long term trip down the current pricing.

We were on Splendour this past May, and the rates were high even this past year. We kept checking, and they fell somewhat in February for a few days. We snagged a better deal, but it was still more than I initially anticipated. The ship sailed full, so they know what they are doing...