Drink packages overcharged?

I called RCI this evening to purchase the premium drink package. After getting the email that says I will be billed $385, I checked my debit card balance and was surprised to find that I was charged $462. A $77 dollar difference.

When I called RCI back they're trying to tell me it's the bank that places a hold on funds until the transaction actually processes then it falls off. Has this happened to anyone else?

I called RCI this evening to purchase the premium drink package. After getting the email that says I will be billed $385, I checked my debit card balance and was surprised to find that I was charged $462. A $77 dollar difference.

When I called RCI back they're trying to tell me it's the bank that places a hold on funds until the transaction actually processes then it falls off. Has this happened to anyone else?

I would wait till the transaction posts to your CC. if they do in fact post the $462 I'd call RCI again and if you have to, then file a CC dispute if they don't help you.

Just curious why you didn't purchase the drink package online?? I would but I'm using 10,000 rewards points ($100) off but I have to purchase it when I get onboard. :( I'm sure the line will be long...but worth $100 off!

That's very interesting, after reading this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089393

Just curious why you didn't purchase the drink package online?? I would but I'm using 10,000 rewards points ($100) off but I have to purchase it when I get onboard. :( I'm sure the line will be long...but worth $100 off!

I think you'll find no lines at the many locations (tables) they have set up for upselling packages...especially the drink packages ;)

Cheers !!

I attempted to purchase online and it kept declining, so I called cust. Service instead.

Yes I've had that happen. Recently I had two transactions for $172 from RCCL. One was charged and one stayed in my pending transactions for 5 weeks meaning my available balance was reduced by this amount.

I agree - it's really annoying and not fair.

Yes I've had that happen. Recently I had two transactions for $172 from RCCL. One was charged and one stayed in my pending transactions for 5 weeks meaning my available balance was reduced by this amount.

I agree - it's really annoying and not fair.

Did RCI tell you it was your banks fault and not theirs?

You ordered it over the phone "this" evening and saw the activity on-line the same night? You're not seeing a charge, you're seeing a hold. problem is, you're using a debit card and not a credit card. So it IS the banks issue. "Charge Card" transactions (Mastercard, Visa, Amex) are run the same way through the same system whether they are a credit card or a debit card (unless a store has you use a pin). It's the end processor of the card (i.e. the issuing bank) that ultimately handles it.

Normally, with a credit card, a hold is placed at the instant the charge is submitted. But it takes a day and sometimes more for that hold to convert to a charge.

With a debit card, the "hold" is actually pulled from the account by the bank. Once the "hold" becomes a charge, the merchant (in this case, Royal) will receive what they have charged, and the bank will adjust the balance appropriately. Unfortunately, this can often take up to five business days.

Check your reservation on Royal's website. See how much it shows Royal charged. If it shows the correct amount, then your issue isn't with Royal, it's just that you used a debit card.

Reason number 8,376 that I hate debit cards!

I attempted to purchase online and it kept declining, so I called cust. Service instead.

Did you pay the old price, or was it something different?

Edited by clarea

We had been given a prepaid gift card for $400 which was to be used for one of our drink packages. I was super excited to not have to pay that myself so I went online immediately and tried to purchase the $385 package but it kept getting declined. I called RCCL and they could not figure out what the problem was either. I finally spoke with the prepaid card company and they said that when you purchase from cruise lines (as similarly posted above) along with restaurants, etc. there is a hold of an extra 15% so there was not enough money on the card. Who would have thought to add 15% for a "hold" that will come off in a few days??? The credit card/gift card company said fully that it was their policy, not RCCL's. She said credit card companies do this to make room for an additional charge, such as a tip in a restaurant. Basically if I used the card for a $50 dinner and added a $10 tip but there was only $50 the server would get stiffed. Oh well, we will pay for our own packages and use the card for travel expenses such as gas and hotel I guess.

We had been given a prepaid gift card for $400 which was to be used for one of our drink packages. I was super excited to not have to pay that myself so I went online immediately and tried to purchase the $385 package but it kept getting declined. I called RCCL and they could not figure out what the problem was either. I finally spoke with the prepaid card company and they said that when you purchase from cruise lines (as similarly posted above) along with restaurants, etc. there is a hold of an extra 15% so there was not enough money on the card. Who would have thought to add 15% for a "hold" that will come off in a few days??? The credit card/gift card company said fully that it was their policy, not RCCL's. She said credit card companies do this to make room for an additional charge, such as a tip in a restaurant. Basically if I used the card for a $50 dinner and added a $10 tip but there was only $50 the server would get stiffed. Oh well, we will pay for our own packages and use the card for travel expenses such as gas and hotel I guess.

Thanks for posting. The hold fell off this morning. Now I'm trying to buy my husband's package and the price has gone up. Not a big deal its only a 10.00 difference.

Thanks for posting. The hold fell off this morning. Now I'm trying to buy my husband's package and the price has gone up. Not a big deal its only a 10.00 difference.

I saw that when I went to buy mine also! Husband's was $385 but mine was coming out at something like $10 more. I think I'll just buy mine on the ship and see how that goes :rolleyes:

I saw that when I went to buy mine also! Husband's was $385 but mine was coming out at something like $10 more. I think I'll just buy mine on the ship and see how that goes :rolleyes:

I think that's a good idea.:)

One less thing to do on the ship, but, sure, save $9.45 where you can. RCCL is just seperating out the tip part best they can. 49 as a starting price and 15% tip brings it to 56.35, or 394.45 for 7 days. It's 1.35 difference per day more, likely going directly to tips for wait staff so I wouldn't sweat the difference myself. Until they can get the paperwork changed, the system may sub in the old total, giving you the lower 55/day instead of 56.35/day.

I've noticed they changed the prices online and then were adding the 15% tip to that price but the small print still said that the tip was included. Today when I went to look the small print has changed and it now says that a 15% gratuity will be added. Wish I would have purchased mine a month ago when I originally was going to. Would have saved myself the tip. Granted the price went down a little now too so the 15% really doesn't equal out to 15%.