Room for 5?

morehay

We are planning a cruise for next year, possibly freedom of the seas. Are there rooms for 5 on RC? It will be my hubby and I, our 17 yr old twins and our 8 yr old. Thanks in advance.

Yes, there are rooms for 5, but they cannot be booked online. You must call Royal or a travel agent to book.

On Freedom, those rooms would include the family interior stateroom, the family promenade stateroom, family ocean view stateroom, and royal family suite. (you would have to check availability for 5 as a minimum on the rfs as it can accommodate up to 8. The rest accommodate up to 6).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Also check pricing on 2 CONNECTING cabins....not "adjoining", but connecting! You can get some privacy, keep the kid's messes in their own space, and still have immediate access to them. Usually cheaper than a suite.

May be a stupid question...but whats the difference between connecting and adjoining? Curious...

Kelly

Also check pricing on 2 CONNECTING cabins....not "adjoining", but connecting! You can get some privacy, keep the kid's messes in their own space, and still have immediate access to them. Usually cheaper than a suite.

That is a good suggestion if the OP is flexible with not being in the same stateroom. And having the second bathroom associated with two rooms would be a plus. But to be clear of the four stateroom options I listed none of them are a suite except the royal family suite.

The other three are considered standard staterooms and as a result may be favorable priced compared to two connecting staterooms. Actual pricing would need to be checked of course with the selected itinerary and sailing date.

May be a stupid question...but whats the difference between connecting and adjoining? Curious...

Kelly

Not a stupid question at all.

Technically "adjoining" means next too each other but not necessarily with a door between them which would open to connect them together. "Connecting" means next to each other and with a door between them that would open to connect them together.

There have been posts from people who specified an adjoining room when they meant connecting - not realizing the difference - and were upset when they got on board and the staterooms were in fact next to each other but did not have a door between them to connect them together.

Best to be very clear when booking in specifying exactly what you mean if you want connecting staterooms. In our experience our TA or RCI directly has asked the question to be clear, but I wouldn't assure that will always be the case.

Kelly

Family just had connecting boardwalk staterooms on the Oasis.

Connecting rooms have a door INSIDE the cabin which can be opened up so that you can go from cabin-to-cabin. Just like a hotel room.

On the Oasis this was cheaper (at the time of booking) than a family stateroom, and also meant two bathrooms.

They were also able to have the balcony opened up so that was usable as one big balcony.

Adjoining rooms are just next door to each other in the same corridor - some people consider adjoining rooms such as a balcony and an inside directly across the hall - in other words adjoining meaning close together.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the very helpful replies. What is the chance of a price drop on these rooms before the final payment?

As good as any other stateroom category on any other ship on any other itinerary on any other sailing date. In other words just as likely as not and impossible to predict. :D

Prices will move up and down prior to final payment and if they do go down from when you booked your cruise you will be able to take advantage of the lower price. But you are also locked against an increase. After final payment your only option will be a paid upgrade to a different category if the pricing change makes that attractive.

I think this is the best deal for a family with children. On the Freedom, check out the deck plan for D1 9696 connecting with interior 9701. (Starboard side

9396 connecting with interior 9401). This configuration is also available on Voyager class ships. These staterooms might be restricted to 2 people in each … I'm not sure but it's worth a call to check. The couch in the D1 balcony is not a pull out and not as large as those in the midship D1s. Still, it's large enough for an 8 year old assuming a 3rd person is allowed (and I doubt that ???)

Thanks for the very helpful replies. What is the chance of a price drop on these rooms before the final payment?

I can tell you if you can book ASAP, get in on their Friends and Family sail free promo. We had a Family Promenade for the 5 of us booked for April 19, 2015 for $3600. Our TA was able to apply the WOW sale and the friends/family sail free promo and got out price lowered by $700 and then RCI added on an additional $100 OBC. If that fits into your budget, I would book ASAP.

I booked a family ov today, thanks so much for all your help. I tried to get in on the wow obc $100 a few minutes ago with no luck. Did it end yesterday? The link I got in this forum shows it but I dont see it when going straight to the rc site. I sent a screen shot to the guy but he said it had ended.

8200 @ 8500 were already booked. I chose 2568 but there were two at the front of the ship on 6 and 7 that were also available. Which is better? I am completely lost, never been on a cruise and this is my 2nd booked. The first one we head out on next weekend, so excited!

I booked a family ov today, thanks so much for all your help. I tried to get in on the wow obc $100 a few minutes ago with no luck. Did it end yesterday? The link I got in this forum shows it but I dont see it when going straight to the rc site. I sent a screen shot to the guy but he said it had ended.

That was my understanding.

I think the $100 OBC promo may have ended yesterday, but you should have still been able to get the friends and family sail free promo. When this got applied, our kids are now paying $99.77 each to sail for port taxes/fees. I can live with that.