emerald Princess?

fzbob

Hi Guys/Gals.

I'm looking forward to a 14 night cruise in the Med with a few friends on the Emerald this September (leaving from Southampton).

Have any here been on this ship and can let me know what they thought of it please?

Also...The bay of Biscay...Is it really that rough?:eek:

We enjoyed the Emerald in March to the Caribbean. Nice ship in good shape. The crew we had was very good but, of course, there is no way to say if you will have the same crew. Our cabin was on the Aloha deck and the mattress was fine. I had requested an egg crate topper but we diid not use it. I can't think of anything to complain about.

Hi, fzbob, and welcome to Cruise Critic...

We have sailed on the Emerald a number of times and have always had a wonderful time. We have cruised on the Emerald for 20 days each of the past three winters and have always found her in excellent condition with a great crew.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

The Emerald is a pleasant and comfortable ship. I never felt like I was in the middle of a crowd. The pizza line was always short, never had trouble finding seating either by the pool or a table for breakfast from the buffet.

I would love to sail on her again.

:D

Thank you for the reply's, good to know you all enjoyed the ship.

Nan Sea...May I ask what an egg crate topper is?

Edit....No need to reply Nan Sea, I Googled it and know I know. :D

Edited by fzbob

Yes, the Bay of Biscay can be very rough. I was on a cruise that was delayed getting back to Southampton for hours due to the seas in the Bay if Biscay. Lots of people missed flights. Nothing the ship could do as she was running at full power but making little headway against the seas.

The Bay of Biscay is notorious for storms.

I have been on it in 40ft seas and when its been beautiful and calm.

No way of telling, its the ocean.

:eek: Better bring my surf board, just in case :D

Hi Guys/Gals.

I'm looking forward to a 14 night cruise in the Med with a few friends on the Emerald this September (leaving from Southampton).

Have any here been on this ship and can let me know what they thought of it please?

Have crossed biscay 8 times in the last 2 years with no rough weather at all. That was in various months including september/october time and may/june.

Have only had 1 bad crossing and that was 7 years ago, sometimes a bit of swell.

How much you feel depends on how big the waves are but also how far apart they are. The closer together then the less you feel as the ship does not have much chance to pitch up and down, but there can always be side to side roll.

I have had much worse in the adriatic.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Yes, the Bay of Biscay can be very rough. I was on a cruise that was delayed getting back to Southampton for hours due to the seas in the Bay if Biscay. Lots of people missed flights. Nothing the ship could do as she was running at full power but making little headway against the seas.

Does ones insurance cover for lost flights perhaps?

Does ones insurance cover for lost flights perhaps?
If you booked your air through Princess, they will automatically rebook you. Princess insurance covers only your cruise, not independent air. If you have independent insurance, check your policy.

Been across Bay of Biscay numerous times on cruises from Southampton and return over the years from as early as March and as late as November and only had one really rough crossing and that was returning to Southampton on Caronia (small ship) in the month of April.

Just off Emearld last Satureday,had a good crew.

Very unhappy with Michaelangelo.Waited 3 nights on the trot for over half an hour or more for table.Requested seated dining at 8.15 and got a wonderful table,excellent service and much better food.

Found the Horizon court very busy and often got frustrated at no tables.

Sat at Caribe cafe,outside a lot and enjoyed that.

Cabin superb with great steward.

Preferred The Adagio as best bar as quieter.Best bar staff too.

Cocktails were really good.

Sabatinis was better then Crown Grill.

Met some lovely people on our roll call.

All embarkations and disembarkations were done with sleekness.

Never a problem with checking our bill over the week.

Patters not as good as I remember them on Star.Just seemed to be adverts.

Didn't do entertainment.

Good choice of MUTS films and music.

This is just our personal opinion of course.

Have a great trip.

Very unhappy with Michaelangelo.Waited 3 nights on the trot for over half an hour or more for table.Requested seated dining at 8.15 and got a wonderful table,excellent service and much better food.

Michelangelo only seems to work well with a reservation. We found that going to the Da Vinci was so much easier and more pleasant. There were no lines and plenty of tables while the wait at Michelangelo was over 30 minutes. That was the only complaint about the Emerald that we had.

Hi Guys/Gals.

I believe we did the same 14 day Med on the Emerald in July. We had a great time. The staff was very friendly. We had a mini suite which was very nice. The bed was comfortable w/ no need for the egg crate. We liked the entertainment, food and Vines, although these things are very subjective.

I remember the Bay of Biscay was a little rough (7-12 ft waves, or so the Navigation channel in the cabin said). It was rougher than the Med, but not really bad. There were people at our dinner table who went through the Bay in December and said it was MUCH worse then. I think it was a seasonal thing.

Anyway, have a great time. I wish I was going there again!

Hi

Which date are you sailing? If it's sept 16 we have a pretty active roll call if you look on CC

We crossed the Bay of Biscay on the Emerald in May with no problems .Like SwissDave we have only had one rough crossing and that wasn't bad at all . More seasickness aboard in the Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise on this wonderful ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Waited 3 nights on the trot for over half an hour or more for table.

For those not from the UK

on the trot (British & Australian)1. if you do several things on the trot, you do them one after the other It's been a good year for Britain's top player, who has won seven matches on the trot.

2. if you do something for a number of days, hours, years etc. on the trot, you do it for that amount of time without stopping He'd worked 48 hours on the trot and was totally exhausted.

I'm so excited to read all these great comments about the Emerald! Today, I booked the Christmas cruise for me, my spouse and our two adult children. We are so looking forward to all getting together for the first time in a year.

Edited by GradUT

Michelangelo only seems to work well with a reservation. We found that going to the Da Vinci was so much easier and more pleasant. There were no lines and plenty of tables while the wait at Michelangelo was over 30 minutes. That was the only complaint about the Emerald that we had.

We r cruising on her in november and we have anytime dining. Do u know which dining room that is and is there a huge wait? Can u make a reservation?

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Forums mobile app