Help with cabin arrangement?!

kwazi07

We are looking into either Indy or Brilliance for Nov 2015. We are a family of 5, so wedont have many choices.

1. How much more is the RFS or 2 bedroom suite versus a balcony stateroom and an inside? We would get CL lounge access so that is a perk.

2. If we booked a balcony and inside, we would book 3 into the inside and 2 into the balcony because it is a bit cheaper. Can one person from the inside sleep in the balcony? I.e. do all balcony rooms have a sofa or Pullman bed?

3. On Indy, how much is the Ben and Jerry's Sweet? I know there is a thread on that suite but I didn't want to hijack it. How many people can fit into that cabin?

4. Are the Family Oceanview rooms expensive? We really want a balcony again but if we had a huge room that would be nice.

How do you book this? We love B and J!

You book it the same as any other stateroom, it's available via web booking, calling Royal direct, or travel agent. You just book stateroom 6305.

We are looking into either Indy or Brilliance for Nov 2015. We are a family of 5, so wedont have many choices.

1. How much more is the RFS or 2 bedroom suite versus a balcony stateroom and an inside? We would get CL lounge access so that is a perk.

2. If we booked a balcony and inside, we would book 3 into the inside and 2 into the balcony because it is a bit cheaper. Can one person from the inside sleep in the balcony? I.e. do all balcony rooms have a sofa or Pullman bed?

3. On Indy, how much is the Ben and Jerry's Sweet? I know there is a thread on that suite but I didn't want to hijack it. How many people can fit into that cabin?

4. Are the Family Oceanview rooms expensive? We really want a balcony again but if we had a huge room that would be nice.

I suggest contacting a travel agent to help you get rates for all the different configurations you are considering. Then pick what works best for you. The Family oceanview cabins hold 6 people but you will have only one bathroom. Getting 2 cabins will give you 2 bathrooms.

All balcony cabins do not have a sofa bed. Some hold only 2 people and some hold 4.

In general the RFS is considerably more expensive than any combination of two standard staterooms as it is a suite with all associated benefits, and is also larger with a living room. large balcony, as well as the two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It is also configured to hold up to 8, whereas the family staterooms (which are not suites) are configured to hold up to 6. You would have to confirm availability of 5 as a minimum for the RFS.

As mentioned you would have to contact RCI or a TA for pricing for this and your other mentioned options and to confirm accommodations with the different combinations you are considering.

Edited to add: In our cruising experience we have used all three combinations you refer to with our family - a balcony / adjacent inside, OV family stateroom, and RFS. For five, the best comparisons IMO to look at would be the balcony / adjacent inside or the OV family stateroom.

The two room combination will provide a balcony and second bathroom, but the family stateroom is sized well and is well accommodated for the five of you. The RFS was cost effective and with excellent space for us when we had seven together (two adults, four adult children, and one grandchild). But that would not likely be the case with five.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In general the RFS is considerably more expensive than any combination of two standard staterooms as it is a suite with all associated benefits, and is also larger with a living room. large balcony, as well as the two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It is also configured to hold up to 8, whereas the family staterooms (which are not suites) are configured to hold up to 6. You would have to confirm availability of 5 as a minimum for the RFS.

As mentioned you would have to contact RCI or a TA for pricing for this and your other mentioned options and to confirm accommodations with the different combinations you are considering.

Edited to add: In our cruising experience we have used all three combinations you refer to with our family - a balcony / adjacent inside, OV family stateroom, and RFS. For five, the best comparisons IMO to look at would be the balcony / adjacent inside or the OV family stateroom.

The two room combination will provide a balcony and second bathroom, but the family stateroom is sized well and is well accommodated for the five of you. The RFS was cost effective and with excellent space for us when we had seven together (two adults, four adult children, and one grandchild). But that would not likely be the case with five.

I am interested in the family OV: you only have to pay full price for the first two guests correct? That is a major draw as with two rooms we would pay full fare fore 4 guests.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Another option on the Indy is rooms 9696 and 9701 or 9396 and 9401 these are a D1 balcony that is connected to an oceanview room. The are highly sought after though because they are great for families

Hmm interesting. Are they listed as connecting rooms (I.e. check the connecting rooms box), or do I just search for each cabin and select them?

I am interested in the family OV: you only have to pay full price for the first two guests correct? That is a major draw as with two rooms we would pay full fare fore 4 guests.

That would depend on the programs offered with 3rd & 4th passenger pricing. And if there are more than 4 booking the 5th and 6th would pay full price as with the 1st and 2nd.

The best way to determine that - or any best pricing options - with the family OV would be to contact RCI or a TA directly as in my experience the family OV does not usually come up as an option on a mock booking - only 4 occupancy staterooms and suites. Family stateroom and suite options would be priced directly.

That would depend on the programs offered with 3rd & 4th passenger pricing. And if there are more than 4 booking the 5th and 6th would pay full price as with the 1st and 2nd.

The best way to determine that - or any best pricing options - with the family OV would be to contact RCI or a TA directly as in my experience the family OV does not usually come up as an option on a mock booking - only 4 occupancy staterooms and suites. Family stateroom and suite options would be priced directly.

I do plan on calling once I get my C&A membership discount info--have not received my materials yet. However, I am a little disappointed that we have to pay full for the 5th person.

I do plan on calling once I get my C&A membership discount info--have not received my materials yet. However, I am a little disappointed that we have to pay full for the 5th person.

That is just my understanding which is why I suggested - as you indicate you will be - calling as RCI can confirm actual pricing or programs that may address bookings past 4 passengers.

Also there are no C & A member discounts applicable for family staterooms. The C & A discount is with balconies in amounts scaled to tier level, which if you are a new C & A member with a single cruise to date as suggested by your signiture, would not apply to you at Gold.

I would go ahead and call RCI now to see what the pricing would be for your family and an OV family stateroom.

Also there are no C & A member discounts applicable for family staterooms. The C & A discount is with balconies in amounts scaled to tier level, which if you are a new C & A member with a single cruise to date as suggested by your signiture, would not apply to you at Gold.

I'm not taking about the balcony discounts (Diamond of I can recall) but about the former saving certificates. I think clarea mentioned in another thread that when you are logged into C&A when booking there are some discounts... The C&A brochure mentions discounts under Gold benefits.

That is just my understanding which is why I suggested - as you indicate you will be - calling as RCI can confirm actual pricing or programs that may address bookings past 4 passengers.

I would go ahead and call RCI now to see what the pricing would be for your family and an OV family stateroom.

The family/friends free promo applies to all passengers after 1st/2nd.

Of course it's not exactly free, you lose the BOGOHO discount for the 2nd passenger and you have to pay taxes and gratuities for everyone.

With 3 PAX one or the other promo may be preferable, in my experience 4 or more PAX will do better with the family/friends free promo. The website does a good job (really ;)) of determining which promo is cheaper and only displays that one when you price the cruise.

Hmm interesting. Are they listed as connecting rooms (I.e. check the connecting rooms box), or do I just search for each cabin and select them?

You will need to call and inquire about those particular cabins availability, or online...I think it's easier to call on the phone!

I'm not taking about the balcony discounts (Diamond of I can recall) but about the former saving certificates. I think clarea mentioned in another thread that when you are logged into C&A when booking there are some discounts... The C&A brochure mentions discounts under Gold benefits.

You are correct, there can be some discounts on cruises, even at the gold level. However, they are not on every cruise and category, so you have to search for them while logged in.

You are correct, there can be some discounts on cruises, even at the gold level. However, they are not on every cruise and category, so you have to search for them while logged in.

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the OP was suggesting a given stateroom discount that would be applied as a C & A member - such as the balcony discount - and I wasn't thinking along the lines of the former savings certificates.

Likewise my suggestion to call to see what current programs might best apply to the FOV stateroom as that category is not typically shown with the mock bookings. :)

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the OP was suggesting a given stateroom discount that would be applied as a C & A member - such as the balcony discount - and I wasn't thinking along the lines of the former savings certificates.

Likewise my suggestion to call to see what current programs might best apply to the FOV stateroom as that category is not typically shown with the mock bookings. :)

Just called--$2000 for a 4 night on Brilliance. That is the same price as two rooms but I will wait till I get my C&A info.

We are booked into 8200 on Freedom (sister to Indy) in April. We got a great deal during this 'Kids Sail Free" sale- about $609pp for 5. If you don't mind walking and a little more rocking, 8200 and 8500 (at front of the ship) are HUGE in comparison to normal family oceanviews.

Here's a video of 8200 on INdy:

You may also want to check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088943

Good Luck!!

Wondering what C&A info you are expecting? We signed up in February after our first Oasis cruise and got the C&A number and it shows Gold on my 2 future reservations, but not sure if I'm missing something else? We have never gotten anything in the mail.

I've seen the matrix showing the different levels perks. At Gold we don't get balcony or other discounts so I'm trying to figure out what getting your C&A materials - whatever those are- is going to make a difference for you. Perhaps I can benefit from more info. Thanks in advance...

Edited by harlekuin
spelling---sheesh

Wondering what C&A info you are expecting? We signed up in February after our first Oasis cruise and got the C&A number and it shows Gold on my 2 future reservations, but not sure if I'm missing something else? We have never gotten anything in the mail.

I've seen the matrix showing the different levels perks. At Gold we don't get balcony or other discounts so I'm trying to figure out what getting your C&A materials - whatever those are- is going to make a difference for you. Perhaps I can benefit from more info. Thanks in advance...

Up until April of this year there used to be savings certificates that were listed on the website that were available for all C&A members. They were for specific cruises and had specific $ amounts.

These have been replaced with a C&A savings that os available to all members. There is no way to see a list of all the cruises that it applies to. The only way to see if your cruise has the savings amount applied to it is to do a mock booking. When you click on price details you will see the breakdown of fare, taxes and fees and savings applied. Theses amounts vary by cruise and cabin category. We had one where the C&A savings was higher than our balcony discount. RCI automatically applies the higher discount.

Up until April of this year there used to be savings certificates that were listed on the website that were available for all C&A members. They were for specific cruises and had specific $ amounts.

These have been replaced with a C&A savings that os available to all members. There is no way to see a list of all the cruises that it applies to. The only way to see if your cruise has the savings amount applied to it is to do a mock booking. When you click on price details you will see the breakdown of fare, taxes and fees and savings applied. Theses amounts vary by cruise and cabin category. We had one where the C&A savings was higher than our balcony discount. RCI automatically applies the higher discount.

Thank you! That info is very helpful. But you still wouldn't get anything in the mail right? My question is also to sort of help the OP that the only answer is to do mock bookings.... or am I still missing something I should expect in the mail - someday?

Edited by harlekuin

Thank you! That info is very helpful. But you still wouldn't get anything in the mail right? My question is also to sort of help the OP that the only answer is to do mock bookings.... or am I still missing something I should expect in the mail - someday?

No mail. Some also never get e mails despite signing up for them and calling to make sure they are on the list.

We are booked into 8200 on Freedom (sister to Indy) in April. We got a great deal during this 'Kids Sail Free" sale- about $609pp for 5. If you don't mind walking and a little more rocking, 8200 and 8500 (at front of the ship) are HUGE in comparison to normal family oceanviews.

Here's a video of 8200 on INdy:

You may also want to check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088943

Good Luck!!

This sale has allowed us to sale RCL with our kids. We have 6 booked in 8500 Explorer for 9 nights at $483/pp CAD. Very happy with that.