Summit 8/24 to Bermuda (diverted) Semi-live

need2bespoiled

We boarded the Summit on Sunday 8/24 and were hopeful Christabel would not be an issue, and at first all seemed ok. I posted a bit previously about balcony noise but that has resolved itself.

We were told yesterday (Monday) that we would be arriving a day early at 6pm to beat the storm there. It looked however from the 4pm explanation by Captain Leo that once there we would be in the path of the storm.

At 8:15pm last night (Monday), he let us know we would be calling on Port Canaveral (Wednesday 7am-6pm) and Nassau (Thursday from 10am - 10pm). We'll have sea days on Friday and Saturday. We're sailing at full speed against the gulfstream.

A few things we've noticed about the cruise:

There are a LOT of kids onboard. About 500 inclduing teens. Most cabins and suites have much more than double occupancy. The captain told me were at about 2540 which is just under maximum capacity of ~2550

Service has generally been good, and there are places to avoid the crowds, but the pool or buffet mid-day is not one of them, so we're avoiding both areas at those times. We have enjoyed the types and volume of music and all seem appropriate to the venues to us.

Liquid has been moved to the first night and other entertainment schedules have been changed in comparison to previous cruiser's reports. We did not get a schedule of the week's entertainment in advance. Since dinner on the first night (late seating) started late, and ended late for us as we had great table mates, we didn't get there until well after it started and it was not good. Kids in the pool (it takes place in the no children solarium), very few people, just not what it could/should be so we left.

Cotton balls and q-tips as reported by another cruiser were replaced by boxed amenity kits which are definitely NOT saving money. We asked for lots of extras and got 4 packs, then that evening the bulk dispenser was returned to our cabin.

Last night on the first formal night we did not get chocolate covered cookies, but a box of chocolates. It looks like a jewelry box for a bracelet but when you open the box inside is a very pretty row of assorted petifores. We were unable to eat another bite so have not tried them yet.

There is a live band on board, two soloists and a jazz ensemble I think but I'll confirm staff on the Who's who from Port Canaveral when I have free internet :)

It is absolutely beautiful today, sunny and warm with moderate seas but since we're sailing into them, the boat is not moving much.

As I think of more things that may be of interest I will try to post.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna, thanks for taking the time to report on your sailing.

I am so sorry that you were diverted from Bermuda.

I am amazed there are so many kids on board. I guess it must be all the kids that start school after Labor Day. One last hooray before school starts.

Have a great cruise and take care of Summit as we board her in 26 days.

Anne Maria

Edited by CruisingChick

We've been told, this is the most kids they've had, and it drops on the next cruise to normal (lower levels). I think kids just love us ;)

We had lunch in Normandie on embarkation day and it was pretty good. A few misses on service and food (cold eggs) but was a nice atmposphere.

We're definitely a bit bummed about missing Bermuda, but go with the flow and would rather have good weather than rain on Bermuda. It just means we have to come back next year!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We've been told, this is the most kids they've had, and it drops on the next cruise to normal (lower levels). I think kids just love us ;)

We had lunch in Normandie on embarkation day and it was pretty good. A few misses on service and food (cold eggs) but was a nice atmposphere.

We're definitely a bit bummed about missing Bermuda, but go with the flow and would rather have good weather than rain on Bermuda. It just means we have to come back next year!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were on the sailing last week, and it was announced that there were 2500 people onboard, 500 of them were kids.

Jenna, thanks for taking the time to report on your sailing.

I am so sorry that you were diverted from Bermuda.

I am amazed there are so many kids on board. I guess if must be all the kids that start after Labor Day. One last hooray before school starts.

Have a great cruise and take care of Summit as we board her in 26 days.

Anne Maria

We watched her sail away from Bayonne on Sunday and it did look like there were lots of kids on board. I can understand why, here in NY/NJ area most schools don't start back until 9/4 or 9/7. Then factor in most camps ended on 8/22, so it's a perfect time to take a family vacation. I know when my kids were little that's when we would go away. I hope everyone on board manages to enjoy themselves. Sad when you can't go to the port you were expecting. At least they were diverted south and not north.

Edited by josie724

We watched her sail away from Bayonne on Sunday and it did look like there were lots of kids on board. I can understand why, here in NY/NJ area most schools don't start back until 9/4 or 9/7. Then factor in most camps ended on 8/22, so it's a perfect time to take a family vacation. I know when my kids were little that's when we would go away. I hope everyone on board manages to enjoy themselves. Sad when you can't go to the port you were expecting. At least they were diverted south and not north.

Thanks, I figured there are some schools that don't start until after Labor Day. I will make a mental note not to cruise those two weeks.

I wouldn't mind being diverted north if it included Newport, RI, Boston, MA, Nantucket, MA and Bar Harbor, ME. Those are all lovely this time of year.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for the report....that's good to hear, that's when we are boarding. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, I figured there are some schools that don't start until after Labor Day. I will make a mental note not to cruise those two weeks.

I wouldn't mind being diverted north if it included Newport, RI, Boston, MA, Nantucket, MA and Bar Harbor, ME. Those are all lovely this time of year.

Except we flew from Boston to NJ to board the cruise, and live in Maine and visit the other locations frequently, so a cruise home would not be as good for us ;)

The captain told me it was a consideration, but this was chosen because Bermuda is a beach destination, and our changed itinerary is more like a beach cruise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

That would be nice. But I think it would need to include Canada to comply with Merchant Marine Act.

Except we flew from Boston to NJ to board the cruise, and live in Maine and visit the other locations frequently, so a cruise home would not be as good for us ;)

The captain told me it was a consideration, but this was chosen because Bermuda is a beach destination, and our changed itinerary is more like a beach cruise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hope everyone is not to disappointed. We did a similar cruise on RCL's Explorer of the Seas from NJ in March. The itinerary was Nassau, Coco Cay and Port Canaveral.

A friend of mine was diverted to Nova Scotia a few years back instead of Bermuda, they were not happy campers. Needless to say they weren't packed properly. Although those ports are beautiful, I think in this case the Captain made the "right" call. Although you know lots of people will be complaining no matter what. Jenna you seem to have the right attitude, the glass is still half full :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Ya know...... HALs Veendam is doing Boston to Bermuda next year....just sayin :D

Jenna

Nice to hear from you whilst on a cruise! Glad you are enjoying yourself.

The cottonwool balls/qtips situation is a disappointment. I use so many that opening packs will be an inconvenience. However, I like the sound of the box of petit fours. I never liked the flavoured chocolates.

We boarded the Summit on Sunday 8/24 and were hopeful Christabel would not be an issue, and at first all seemed ok. I posted a bit previously about balcony noise but that has resolved itself.

We were told yesterday (Monday) that we would be arriving a day early at 6pm to beat the storm there. It looked however from the 4pm explanation by Captain Leo that once there we would be in the path of the storm.

At 8:15pm last night (Monday), he let us know we would be calling on Port Canaveral (Wednesday 7am-6pm) and Nassau (Thursday from 10am - 10pm). We'll have sea days on Friday and Saturday. We're sailing at full speed against the gulfstream.

A few things we've noticed about the cruise:

There are a LOT of kids onboard. About 500 inclduing teens. Most cabins and suites have much more than double occupancy. The captain told me were at about 2540 which is just under maximum capacity of ~2550

Service has generally been good, and there are places to avoid the crowds, but the pool or buffet mid-day is not one of them, so we're avoiding both areas at those times. We have enjoyed the types and volume of music and all seem appropriate to the venues to us.

Liquid has been moved to the first night and other entertainment schedules have been changed in comparison to previous cruiser's reports. We did not get a schedule of the week's entertainment in advance. Since dinner on the first night (late seating) started late, and ended late for us as we had great table mates, we didn't get there until well after it started and it was not good. Kids in the pool (it takes place in the no children solarium), very few people, just not what it could/should be so we left.

Cotton balls and q-tips as reported by another cruiser were replaced by boxed amenity kits which are definitely NOT saving money. We asked for lots of extras and got 4 packs, then that evening the bulk dispenser was returned to our cabin.

Last night on the first formal night we did not get chocolate covered cookies, but a box of chocolates. It looks like a jewelry box for a bracelet but when you open the box inside is a very pretty row of assorted petifores. We were unable to eat another bite so have not tried them yet.

There is a live band on board, two soloists and a jazz ensemble I think but I'll confirm staff on the Who's who from Port Canaveral when I have free internet :)

It is absolutely beautiful today, sunny and warm with moderate seas but since we're sailing into them, the boat is not moving much.

As I think of more things that may be of interest I will try to post.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for the update. My husband & I are on the cruise behind you. We get on when you get off. I watched to web cam from Bermuda as late a 3am and things were still rocking there. I got up this am and both boats were gone. Bummer. Hopefully the one behind it won't be a factor for us.

Maria

Hi NEED2BESPOILED,

Thanks for the live report. Good to know you guys are safe & sound... And comfy. Here is hoping that the seas remain as they are and don't get rougher for you.

Sucks to miss Bermuda... But as others said at least you are headed to warm beachy destinations.

--- --- ---

Re - School Break

The further north you go the later things tend to happen (ie Summer comes later)

Most of Canada (and many of the Northern US States) the School Year starts after Labour Day cause summer break happens right at the very end of June... Just a day or two before July 1st.

So yes the last week of August is a big week for families to get away for one last hoopla.

--- --- ---

Re - Change in Itinerary

The Summit isn't heading north this time because Cristobal is predicted to make her way to Atlantic Canada after Bermuda. And since yesterday has gained momentum from a Tropical Storm to a Cat 1 Hurricane... And Forecasted to stay at this strength til she makes her way past The Maritimes, Newfoundland and out into the Atlantic.

Stay safe everyone.

Cheers!

OBC? No mention of that and they shouldn't expect any. The cruise line is within their rights to change the itinerary at any time without compensating passengers in any way, is acting on behalf of safety , and is trying to provide some days of sun rather than a rainy week. Expecting anything more borders on greedy, IMO.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Love, love, love your attitude, Jenna. As soon as we board on Sunday, we're looking at booking Bermuda for next summer, too! Hope that we end up on the same cruise! Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and have a safe journey home. We'll wave at you in Bayonne! :cool:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

So sorry to hear about the change in your itinerary, but hopefully it will still be a great cruise for you. Now it gives you another reason to book another Bermuda cruise. Keep up the positive additude.

I also can't believe how full the ship is, especially with children. The Kids here in Fl started back to school last week.

We don't sail on the Summit until Dec can you tell me what was offered in Normandie for lunch, anything special?

OBC? No mention of that and they shouldn't expect any. The cruise line is within their rights to change the itinerary at any time without compensating passengers in any way, is acting on behalf of safety , and is trying to provide some days of sun rather than a rainy week. Expecting anything more borders on greedy, IMO.

"We appreciate your understanding as there are many things we can control, but Mother Nature is unfortunately not one of them. Although this change is caused by weather, which is beyond our control, as a gesture of goodwill and to thank you for your understanding, Celebrity Cruises will provide your stateroom with a $100 onboard credit. This credit will be applied directly to your onboard account and may be used for any onboard purchase or service. Any unused portion will be refunded to you at the end of your cruise."