Who has sailed the Prinsendam?

libno

We will be sailing her on the Christmas and New Year's cruise this December and wondered what your thoughts (pictures?) are on this ship? Never been on a smaller ship before and a little apprehensive about activities onboard:) How about the entertainment and if anyone has pictures, I would love to see them (of the ship i.e.:D)

Thanks,

Marise

We will be sailing her on the Christmas and New Year's cruise this December and wondered what your thoughts (pictures?) are on this ship? Never been on a smaller ship before and a little apprehensive about activities onboard:) How about the entertainment and if anyone has pictures, I would love to see them (of the ship i.e.:D)

Thanks,

Marise

Prinsendam is our favorite ship. Being smaller one has the opportunity to meet people who you will actually run into again during the course of the voyage. The feel is totally different, it's like family. Here is a link to the blog DH did while on the 2012 Grand S America Voyage on the Prinsendam.

http://grandvoyage2012.wordpress.com/category/68-day-retirement-cruise/

Thanks,

Marise

I just booked this cruise today for the 2015/16 holiday sailing. I look forward to your post-cruise review

I've been on Prinsendam many times and it remains my favorite ship in the HAL fleet by quite a margin. Unless you're into ice skating and rock climbing it's likely to have everything you'd want and within a comfy and elegant package. What I particularly like in addition to great itineraries is that the small passenger loading gives you the opportunity to actually meet and get to know your fellow passengers who typically are more well-traveled and knowledgeable about destinations than you'll find on the larger ships.

It will be a sad day indeed for me when Prinsendam finally retires as I'm sure there will never be another like her in the Holland America fleet.

Edited by Dave in NJ

We had the pleasure of taking a 31 day cruise on the Prinsendam last year and although we were hesitant at first, we soon fell in love with this ship.

As stated by others, you will get to know your fellow passengers more than you would on a larger ship. The service is second to none and the ship is in excellent condition, despite its age.

Check http://www.halfacts.com for pictures of the Prinsendam. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by sapper1

I've been on Prinsendam many times and it remains my favorite ship in the HAL fleet by quite a margin. Unless you're into ice skating and rock climbing it's likely to have everything you'd want and within a comfy and elegant package. What I particularly like in addition to great itineraries is that the small passenger loading gives you the opportunity to actually meet and get to know your fellow passengers who typically are more well-traveled and knowledgeable about destinations than you'll find on the larger ships.

It will be a sad day indeed for me when Prinsendam finally retires as I'm sure there will never be another like her in the Holland America fleet.

We had the pleasure of taking a 31 day cruise on the Prinsendam last year and although we were hesitant at first, we soon fell in love with this ship.

As stated by others, you will get to know your fellow passengers more than you would on a larger ship. The service is second to none and the ship is in excellent condition, despite its age.

Check http://www.halfacts.com for pictures of the Prinsendam. Enjoy your cruise.

I will just echo what has already been said here. She's our favourite ship in the fleet. We are hopping back on her happily for another 30 days this year:D

She's in a class all her own. I sailed her this past holiday season for the, and it was a wonderful experience. If you've sailed only on large, mega-ships, it will take some getting used to as it's a whole different sailing experience. But it was so festive, and the crew was so wonderful, and you'll be in uncrowded ports. Tendering is easier because there are fewer passengers. I'm so in love with the ship I'll be sailing her for four weeks in November.

I'll be doing my third TA on her in October. I agree with all that has been said.

Although the P is by far my favorite ship, I realize that this is subjective. It depends on what you want. I like small, intimate, cozy. I don't need zip-lining or rock wall climbing.

We sailed her twice last year and loved her. One caveat though. Be careful in booking an inside cabin on her. Some of them are the tiniest in the fleet; so small that the beds are placed L shaped and there is no room for even a chair in the room. We made that mistake the first time. Booked an outside the next cruise and it was fine.

We just got off the Prinsendam this past Sunday 7/24 after two weeks cruising the Norwegian Fjords. We had a marvelous time and love this ship. First we love the size of the ship. The crew is friendly and you get to know many of them over the course of a 2 week voyage. We thought the food was very good. We had early fixed dining and got to know our waiter and busboy along with the wind steward. We went to the Pinnacle 2 times, Canaletto once, and also enjoyed the Cellar Master's dinner which is in the Pinnacle.

This ship has character -- it really seems like you're on a cruise ship of old which I find enjoyable. We got into our rituals like: walking the promenade deck, sitting on our balcony, enjoying the cozy chairs in the library with a coffee from the coffee bar, wine tastings, happy hours in the Crow's Nest (fabulous panorama across the bow of the ship).

The ship is old but they work hard at keeping her up and we had no problems with AC, plumbing, or bad smells which indicate underlying problems.

We are looking forward to cruising on her again soon.

We've booked the 14 day "North Cape Explorer" (Norwegian Fjords) for next June. Would love to hear more about your experience if you have time to comment further and/or write a review.

for you and the OP, internet permitting, I will be doing a live thread from the P'dam if that is of any help. I usually have a few comments on the ship's condition. I'm hoping it was as last year. fingers crossed:D

We've booked the 14 day "North Cape Explorer" (Norwegian Fjords) for next June. Would love to hear more about your experience if you have time to comment further and/or write a review.

I'm writing a review which hopefully will be posted soon.

I'm writing a review which hopefully will be posted soon.

looking forward to it. Please copy and paste it on cc or provide the link. I would do a separate thread as I am sure many will be interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087509

You might also want to read some of the posts on p. 6 of this forum: Prisendam -- is it worth it?

I sailed on the Prisendam last month for an itinerary that no other line had. I sailed solely for the ports, which were great. It was my first HAL cruise; I'm unlikely to go back. I was under-whelmed. (I know, I'm in danger of being burned alive now.)

For starters, it was extremely expensive (I'm a solo passenger). I thought that the smaller size ship would be like the ships of old (70s, 80s) that I liked. For walking, it was; I'm a lot older now & have mobility issues.

But I found that I missed some of the social areas & venues of the bigger ships. I found very little to do after dinner (any time dining) since I don't drink or like to sit in bars. I did go to a few of the shows (like most lines now, usually only 30 minutes), but magicians & comedians aren't my thing.

The Lido buffet was closed by 8:30 PM each night, so there was no sitting/chatting there. If I wanted cookies & milk or tea at bedtime, it was room service only.

I'm not sorry I went; I sail for the ports. And I did get a lot of reading time -- I was back in my cabin (a nice, comfortable OV) by 9:30 every night. I'm 65+ and don't want/need wild night life, but 9:30?

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but. .......you asked.

I must add -- I did meet some very nice people at dinner each night & had good conversations while eating.

I also went to the roll call M&G and participated in 2 excellent tours set-up by roll call members. But w/10 ports in 13 days, "getting to know people" was not really an option -- just a "hello" here & there on the decks -- but that's OK.

I am sailing on the P'dam in a little over a week. I have sailed on Princess small ships, so think I know what to expect as it is an older ship which has its pluses and minuses. Ours is also a port intensive cruise, so night life, entertainment is less important than other cruises.

I will be sure to report when I return.

We were on the cruise with DRS/NC, I previously posted we were also underwhelmed with the Prinsendam considering the per diem paid. I agree with lots of what the lovely Dottie said. I did not see a value added component over the Ryndam, which we sailed one year prior for a reasonable price. Prinsendam menus seemed standard for the fleet. The food was typical, a few things very good, most of the food was good, a few entrees were not good which is par for the course on a mainstream cruise ship. The room steward cleaned our room morning and evening just like on the Ryndam and every other HAL ship we have sailed. The buffet menus seemed par for Holland America, rotisserie chicken was the staple food at lunch. Just like on other HAL ships the buffet had limited hours and closed for lunch about 2pm which really irritates me on port days. Not everyone wants to eat or can eat hamburgers hot dogs and brats from the poolside grill. The grill items are identical to what is served on other ships. The sandwich bar on this ship was at the poolside grill and the deli meats were substandard, we called a manager over to see some disgustingly fatty ham they put in a bun and called it a ham sandwich.

There were no lecturers on board. There was minimal to no service in the Lido, get your food, find a table, get up and down for beverages, extra silverware or anything you forgot. By the time you get back the food is cooling. Princess and other mainstream lines have great buffet service and Oceania as a premium line cannot do enough for you in the Terrace cafe.

I thought the ship looked and smelled old, yes there were multiple areas that smelled musty and looked extremely dated. The ship had no comfortable padded loungers poolside, they had some cheap canvas plastic chairs without any padding whatsoever. The handful of padded loungers on the promenade deck were quite rusty. I scratched myself on the rusty hardware one day, yuk.

Per diem charges are almost twice the norm for HAL and I don't see anything special. Yes I realize the fuel cost is spread amongst fewer passengers, 870 verses 1200, but that does not justify twice the price.

I realize I am a minority opinion. I am writing this to add perspective. We had a nice time but it was not worth the price we paid. I would sail it again if I got a last minute great deal like

some smart people we met.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087509

You might also want to read some of the posts on p. 6 of this forum: Prisendam -- is it worth it?

I sailed on the Prisendam last month for an itinerary that no other line had. I sailed solely for the ports, which were great. It was my first HAL cruise; I'm unlikely to go back. I was under-whelmed. (I know, I'm in danger of being burned alive now.)

For starters, it was extremely expensive (I'm a solo passenger). I thought that the smaller size ship would be like the ships of old (70s, 80s) that I liked. For walking, it was; I'm a lot older now & have mobility issues.

But I found that I missed some of the social areas & venues of the bigger ships. I found very little to do after dinner (any time dining) since I don't drink or like to sit in bars. I did go to a few of the shows (like most lines now, usually only 30 minutes), but magicians & comedians aren't my thing.

The Lido buffet was closed by 8:30 PM each night, so there was no sitting/chatting there. If I wanted cookies & milk or tea at bedtime, it was room service only.

I'm not sorry I went; I sail for the ports. And I did get a lot of reading time -- I was back in my cabin (a nice, comfortable OV) by 9:30 every night. I'm 65+ and don't want/need wild night life, but 9:30?

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but. .......you asked.

Yours and Sammiedawg's critiques were very well written, honest and thoughtful. I will not flame you, although I'm "in the other camp." I'm not a night person in any circumstance, so a ship with lots of evening activities would mean nothing to me. But I can understand your point of view about the Prinsendam. Happy sailing!