Wine policy, again...

Cobra427SC

Yes its still wine.

Probably won't see them though.

Prob not. I will be carrying on a backpack and will put the two wine cartons in the spaces on each side for water bottles (they are large enough that they should not show). I will, of course, cheerfully follow whatever directions I am given by security.

Liquids show up on the security. It's not just bottle shapes that they're looking for. That being said, there's nothing but your own honesty making you declare your actual number of bottles. This month when we went on the Caribbean Princess out of Fort Lauderdale, I knew that we'd be taking three bottles to the dining room and enjoying the other two in our cabin. So I showed them all five bottles and had them stamp the three intended for the dining room and signed the corkage receipt for those bottles. I could have easily pretended not to have had the extra bottles. When they direct you to the table to declare your wine, they do not physically search your bags for bottles.

Liquids show up on the security. It's not just bottle shapes that they're looking for. That being said, there's nothing but your own honesty making you declare your actual number of bottles. This month when we went on the Caribbean Princess out of Fort Lauderdale, I knew that we'd be taking three bottles to the dining room and enjoying the other two in our cabin. So I showed them all five bottles and had them stamp the three intended for the dining room and signed the corkage receipt for those bottles. I could have easily pretended not to have had the extra bottles. When they direct you to the table to declare your wine, they do not physically search your bags for bottles.
In San Francisco this March they did ask people to open up their carry-ons. I had packed our eight bottles so that they were clearly visible when I opened my carry-on. People next to us had a bottle deep in their carry-on. They had to show the bottle to the staff at the table to prove that it wasn't prohibited alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They asked to see our bottles of wine. I had all five bottles in one carry-on bag. I showed them all five and had the three I wanted to take with us to the dining room stamped. I also had a backpack with my laptop and DH had his backpack. We did not have to open those.

Honestly, they could care less if you carry your wine on board or put it in your checked luggage.

You should be prepared to the $15 per bottle in excess of your one free bottle pp, but that may or may not happen.

Since the new rules went into effect, we have checked a case of wine on three different occasions. Twice it was delivered to our cabin with a request that we sign a chit to be charged corkage on 10 of the bottles and those bottles were stamped with a Princess logo so we could take them into the dining room or anywhere else on the ship with no additional charges. Once it was just delivered to our room with no charges applied. It didn't much matter one way or the other as we ended up taking the wine to dinner and paying the corkage fee anyway.

Boarding wine at ports is also pretty hit and miss--sometimes they mention it and sometimes they don't. Even though we have been directed to the wine table at ports, I don't think we have actually been charged a corkage fee on anything we declared at the wine table. Maybe they just thought it was our first two bottles.

Once I was boarding in a wheelchair in SFO. I had a bottle of wine in my carry-on and another in my tote. DH had two bottles of wine in his backpack. He was directed to the wine table and declared his two bottles at no charge. When they asked my wheelchair attendant if I had any wine, she said, "No, she doesn't drink wine". Then she asked me if she had lied and I told her to come up to the cabin for a glass of wine. LOL

Their liberal wine policy is one of the reasons we have begun to lean more toward Cunard--well that and their lovely dance floors--and HAL's more strict and and more expensive wine policy is the reason we quit sailing HAL.

We have brought on a case of wine and just paid the corkage fee when we brought it to dinner....no problemo! If we bring on any wine this time, it will most likely not be a case and it would be easier to just pack it in our luggage rather than carrying it on. How is that handled? I don't want to be called down to the naughty room, I just want my wine and am ready and willing to pay the corkage fee.

Last time we sailed on Cunard, the corkage fee was $20 (or $25?), so while their policy is more lenient, they do charge more than other lines. But we love Cunard too!

I know that this has been asked, answered and cursed at many times, but I couldn't easily find the answer. Under the new Princess wine policy, how and when do they assess the $15 corkage fee? It used to be that they charged you, when they did, at the time you brought the bottle into the MDR. I've heard that now you get two bottles "free" (of corkage fees) but they must be consumed in your room. I'd really like a detailed answer from someone who's actually done this, not hearsay and I don't need to know about bringing wine in from ports we visit. Only wine brought on at the time of embarkation. thanx steve[/QUOT

Only 1 bottle P.P, or two to a cabin. when corking it yourself there will be no charge. I have never been charged.

It is 1 bottle/pp without a corkage fee. You can bring additional bottles of wine, but just pay the corkage.

I am planning to bring, on an upcoming cruise, two or three of the small one-pint cardboard carton wines. I know some turn up their noses at them but I find them inexpensive and good. I wonder if security will send me to the table?

Don't forget to save the bags to reuse on the next cruise. They come in handy to fill with just about anything. ;)

It is 1 bottle/pp without a corkage fee. You can bring additional bottles of wine, but just pay the corkage.

The 1 free bottle per adult is specified as 750ml.......wondering how they would handle a 1L carton wine?

The 1 free bottle per adult is specified as 750ml.......wondering how they would handle a 1L carton wine?

The ones I plan on bringing are half-litre. Perhaps two or three, as I said. I think the bags are in the larger sizes.

Cobra, they ask you. They also apparently x-ray your luggage, and your carry-on bags will have gone through an x-ray machine about 30 seconds before you are asked to "declare" your wine. They can and will ask to look through your carry-on. They put a stamp or sticker on the bottles that you have paid corkage on, and you can carry these anywhere on the ship and consume them.

Sometimes when they are in a hurry they may let people through without paying or without looking in their carry-on. But there is a guy looking at the x-ray machine and then reporting bags with bottles of wine. It's all kind of confused, and you absolutely might get away with "cheating." You also might get caught.

You "pay" just like you do for a drink on board, by signing a ticket with your name and stateroom number, which then goes onto your onboard account.

I know from personnal experience that they xray the luggage. sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale last year my luggage was late being delivered to my cabin. My room steward tracked it down while I went to get to get something to eat. When I came back, the suitcase was there, when I opened it, there was a note fom security saying they had searched it after it being xrayed because they suspected I had over the amount of wine allowed!! I didn't mind them searching my suitcase as much a I minded the mess they made of my clothes!!!!!

I know from personnal experience that they xray the luggage. sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale last year my luggage was late being delivered to my cabin. My room steward tracked it down while I went to get to get something to eat. When I came back, the suitcase was there, when I opened it, there was a note fom security saying they had searched it after it being xrayed because they suspected I had over the amount of wine allowed!! I didn't mind them searching my suitcase as much a I minded the mess they made of my clothes!!!!!

Was your suitcase locked when you gave it to Princess?

They should not be unlocking your suitcase without you present.

We have brought on a case of wine and just paid the corkage fee when we brought it to dinner....no problemo! If we bring on any wine this time, it will most likely not be a case and it would be easier to just pack it in our luggage rather than carrying it on. How is that handled? I don't want to be called down to the naughty room, I just want my wine and am ready and willing to pay the corkage fee.

Last time we sailed on Cunard, the corkage fee was $20 (or $25?), so while their policy is more lenient, they do charge more than other lines. But we love Cunard too!

The Passage Contract states that if the initial luggage screening at embarkation indicates suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy, your luggage will undergo a second inspection under closed circuit surveillance. If your bag is locked, you will be required to attend the inspection, AKA, go to the "naughty room".

Where is the "naughty room" located? I might want to go see it someday.

I have never been to the naughty room on Princess, but I have on Royal Caribbean. They were holding on to my 85 year old Mom's luggage and summoned her to come down. She doesn't drink, so I knew it wasn't booze, but I went down to see what the deal was? Unbeknownst to me, she had packed a small travel iron. So they took it. Their "naughty room" is in the bowels of the ship in a "secure" area.

Funny enough, at the end of the cruise, there was a table set up near the luggage area, with all the "contraband"...there must have been 20 irons! Even full sized ones! LOL!

On NCL, they set up a random room and staff it with bar staff to "help" you go through your luggage....looking for booze/liquor....at least that is what I have heard....never been there myself! ;):p

In Ft. Lauderdale, we watched from our balcony as they ex-rayed all the luggage. We had a bottle of champagne in one of our bags....it was not a problem. It was delivered to our cabin with the rest of our luggage.

They are looking for liquor/booze/spirits, not wine. You are allowed to bring on more than one bottle/pp.

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*"

As a single traveler paying double the posted rate and being credited for two cruises I am wondering if I am still limited to one bottle of wine or if I would be allowed two before the corkage fee kicks in. Any other singles out there who have experienced this situation.

As a single traveler paying double the posted rate and being credited for two cruises I am wondering if I am still limited to one bottle of wine or if I would be allowed two before the corkage fee kicks in. Any other singles out there who have experienced this situation.

Sorry 1 bottle only.

No. I have learned over the years not to lock my suitcases. But my luggage was searched. I had one bottle of wine in my suitcase that I forgot to take out at the aiport when I arrived. No further action was taken, but I wonder If there had been more than the one bottle, would Princess security have confiscated it??

• 2 weeks later...

...But you will get two sailings (credits) toward your next level. I am working on Elite...

Edited by marne001

I know that this has been asked, answered and cursed at many times, but I couldn't easily find the answer. Under the new Princess wine policy, how and when do they assess the $15 corkage fee? It used to be that they charged you, when they did, at the time you brought the bottle into the MDR. I've heard that now you get two bottles "free" (of corkage fees) but they must be consumed in your room. I'd really like a detailed answer from someone who's actually done this, not hearsay and I don't need to know about bringing wine in from ports we visit. Only wine brought on at the time of embarkation. thanx steve

How many times does this need to be discussed?

My experience was this: On my recent cruise, I brought one bottle of wine in a carry on backpack (also two half liter cartons in the pockets). I was sent over to the wine table by security on entry to the terminal in FLL. I was asked "how many bottles do you have". I responded one, and opened my backpack to show (they did not ask how many cartons). They marked down my cabin number with one bottle. I also had packed a bottle of wine in my checked baggage, this came through without trouble. I should add that all this wine was the very inexpensive sort they sell at Publix near the port.

As a side note, I wound up leaving a bottle of cheap ship champagne, won as a prize, for my steward, after having to really work to finish the last bottle of Muscato on the last day ...

My experience was this: On my recent cruise, I brought one bottle of wine in a carry on backpack (also two half liter cartons in the pockets). I was sent over to the wine table by security on entry to the terminal in FLL. I was asked "how many bottles do you have". I responded one, and opened my backpack to show (they did not ask how many cartons). They marked down my cabin number with one bottle. I also had packed a bottle of wine in my checked baggage, this came through without trouble. I should add that all this wine was the very inexpensive sort they sell at Publix near the port.

As a side note, I wound up leaving a bottle of cheap ship champagne, won as a prize, for my steward, after having to really work to finish the last bottle of Muscato on the last day ...

Good on you? We also love Moscato and were wondering if they sell it in cartons that we could pack in our suitcase? I've only seen chardonnays and the usual other wines in cartons. I'm always worried if I packed a bottle of wine in my suitecase that it may break and I'd have wine all over my clothes.

Good on you? We also love Moscato and were wondering if they sell it in cartons that we could pack in our suitcase? I've only seen chardonnays and the usual other wines in cartons. I'm always worried if I packed a bottle of wine in my suitecase that it may break and I'd have wine all over my clothes.

Check out wine diapers. They are supposed to be able to absorb an entire bottle if it breaks. I use them, but never had any break, so not sure if they work or not! ;)

No, alas, no Muscato in half liter cartons. I bought something else for that.