Norwegian pet policy

mar23

David, I agree with you. But c'mon... don't play the "disabled" card. Many folks here have family who are disabled. Many folks here are disabled.

This is a discussion. No one is judging the disabled... seriously.

I wish people would stop judging others entirely -- but that ain't happening. You can wish in one hand and s\ in the other and...well, you know how that one ends.

My mother had MS. She's dead... just so yo know where I'm coming from.

What?

Just what do you call it when these threads come up accusing NCL of letting personal pets on the ship? Look at the title of this thread. There have been other threads that get angry and boycott NCL because they saw a dog on the ship.

Of course it is judging. What do you call it when people KNOW NOTHING about a person and see a dog and say "That person is not disabled. And that is not a service dog. They don't know anything about the person or the dog.

So please answer what is it if it is not judging. Please answer

I am not playing any type of card... just stating facts. Others express an opinion with no knowledge of service dogs.

Edited by david_sobe

David, the only judgement (if you can call it that) came from the OP who, out of ignorance, assumed that because the dog was small couldn't have possibly been a guide dog -- a "guide dog", of course, being the OPs only exposure to a service animal. Not all service dogs are german shepherds. One who is ignorant of facts cannot judge, by definition.

The rest of the thread is discussion. When I said "there is no judgement" I was referring to the ongoing conversation, not OP's conclusion which is obviously based on lack of any information on the subject.

I've dealt with lots of different service animals onboard NCL ships, including a capuchin monkey, whose job was to remind her owner to take her medication, as one of the side effects of her condition was to forget about the meds. It wore diapers, and really didn't cause much trouble, other than gawkers.

We've also had service animals who acted in ways that I'm surprised that a trained and certified animal would do. We had a woman's guide dog (German Shepherd) who decided to jump into the pool. That resulted in a shut down and sanitizing of the pool, so he wasn't real popular for a few days.

These threads always annoy me because I have disabled people in my family. My sister has M.S. and any one with M.S. gets annoyed when they are told "you look so good."

A DISABLITY IS NOT ALWAYS VISIBLE

NCL like any cruise line does not allow pets. But if a dog is a registered and licensed disability dog they law requires them to let the dog on the ship just like anywhere else. People are so cruel. Recently here in south Florida there was a condo board that sued a poor woman in a wheelchair with MS because her disability dog was too big and the condo only allowed dogs under 40 pounds. The condo took action against this woman. But the woman fought back in court to keep her dog. The judge ripped the condo so bad they had to pay extreme amounts in punitive damages.

I just wish people would stop judging people when it comes to service dogs. You don't know the disability the person has but if there is a dog on a cruise ship you can gurantee the dog is properly licensed to be a disability dog.

STOP JUDGING THE DISABLED. Every now and then another thread comes up like this where someone looks at a dog and says.....that is not a disability dog and the person is not disabled as if they are a doctor treating the person.

STOP THE JUDGMENT OF THE DISABLED

My sister also has MS. She is 50 years old was diagnosed when she was 42. She "looks" in tip top shape. You would never know. BUT we know every other day when she has to inject herself with shots and then sustain flu like side effects and almost passes out. So you can't judge a book by it's cover. You never know.

So who does this certification? Is there a national certification agency? State or Federal government ?

Nobody. The pp was incorrect. There are no special licenses for service dogs.

There are a variety of recognized well established organizations that train the dog and person. Some of these organization may require periodic retraining, but not all.

Any "paperwork," vest, etc. is at best unnecessary. The only issues are: is the dog required because of a disability and what work or task(s) does the dog provide. Notice, "dog?" Monkeys, rabbits, cats, geckos or turtles are not service animals . . . OK if you want to be really precise, miniature horses count.

Under the ADA, a restaurant can't prevent me from bringing my dog in. If they ask what the dogs purpose is, and I lie and make one up, they can't ask for certification.

Priceless statement on the sad state of our society.

These threads always annoy me because I have disabled people in my family. My sister has M.S. and any one with M.S. gets annoyed when they are told "you look so good."

A DISABLITY IS NOT ALWAYS VISIBLE

NCL like any cruise line does not allow pets. But if a dog is a registered and licensed disability dog they law requires them to let the dog on the ship just like anywhere else. People are so cruel. Recently here in south Florida there was a condo board that sued a poor woman in a wheelchair with MS because her disability dog was too big and the condo only allowed dogs under 40 pounds. The condo took action against this woman. But the woman fought back in court to keep her dog. The judge ripped the condo so bad they had to pay extreme amounts in punitive damages.

I just wish people would stop judging people when it comes to service dogs. You don't know the disability the person has but if there is a dog on a cruise ship you can gurantee the dog is properly licensed to be a disability dog.

STOP JUDGING THE DISABLED. Every now and then another thread comes up like this where someone looks at a dog and says.....that is not a disability dog and the person is not disabled as if they are a doctor treating the person.

STOP THE JUDGMENT OF THE DISABLED

I don't think anyone is judging the disabled. It is unfortunate that many, many folks have decided that they can't leave little fluffy at home and either lie about their dog being a service dog or get a note from their doctor saying they need the dog for emotional support (which the ADA does not recognize and they do not fall under their rules and regulations, which most businesses don't know). Most of these "poser" dogs are not properly trained; like the one reported on this site who pooped in public space or the one who barked at everyone who walked by on ships.

Service dogs do not need to be licensed or certified, which is unfortunate. A business can only ask what service the dog performs and can ask for proof of vacinations, but that is all; they can't ask for proof that the animals is a true service dog. If we were to place these restrictions (being licensed or certified) on service animals, possibly posers would not be able to bring fluffy onto ships, into restaurants, etc., giving true service dogs a bad name.

A true service dog is a godsend to their owner and is a hero to me and those "posers" are the scum of the earth.

I don't think anyone is judging the disabled. It is unfortunate that many, many folks have decided that they can't leave little fluffy at home and either lie about their dog being a service dog or get a note from their doctor saying they need the dog for emotional support (which the ADA does not recognize and they do not fall under their rules and regulations, which most businesses don't know). Most of these "poser" dogs are not properly trained; like the one reported on this site who pooped in public space or the one who barked at everyone who walked by on ships.

Service dogs do not need to be licensed or certified, which is unfortunate. A business can only ask what service the dog performs and can ask for proof of vacinations, but that is all; they can't ask for proof that the animals is a true service dog. If we were to place these restrictions (being licensed or certified) on service animals, possibly posers would not be able to bring fluffy onto ships, into restaurants, etc., giving true service dogs a bad name.

A true service dog is a godsend to their owner and is a hero to me and those "posers" are the scum of the earth.

I agree, system needs to be fixed, so those who truly benefit from these animals can do so without incident or judgement.

For the record...

Service animal.

"" A service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.""

Therapy animal ..

""Animal-Assisted Therapy (AAT) The formal definition of animal-assisted therapy is: "AAT is a goal-directed intervention in which an animal that meets specific criteria is an integral part of the treatment process.""

Now if we could only train an animal to sniff out Bulls%!t at the gangway..;)

What about people who are allergic to dogs? Or just plain don't like dog hair floating around and landing in their food.

This is beginning to become a real problem. I know a lady who has an "anxiety" service dog.:rolleyes: I know people are disabled, but c'mon...

For $50-75 you can go online and get "official" certification for any animal you want. Dog, cat, mouse, rabbit, you name it. Comes with "official" certification, vest, ID card etc. You see them everywhere now and folks/business's are afraid to challenge them. Saw a companion rabbit in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago, claimed it helped keep their child calm and occupied. Not sure that is the definition of a service animal.

Everyone and their mother now wants an excuse to bring their pet into a restaurant, on a plane and on a cruise. Its dam near pathetic and I find it insulting at times. My parents use to raise golden's and donate them to be trained as guide dogs for the blind. I have a 6 year old golden trained to be a therapy dog, we take her to children's hospital. You would not believe the amount of time and energy it takes to have your pet to become certified. Its a smack in the face when someone can go online and print out a piece of paper saying their animal is a "Companion" animal. I do believe some of these folks really do need them, but for the most part of find it to be a crock.

What about people who are allergic to dogs? Or just plain don't like dog hair floating around and landing in their food.

This is beginning to become a real problem. I know a lady who has an "anxiety" service dog.:rolleyes: I know people are disabled, but c'mon...

For a true service dog, anyone allergic or who doesn't like dog hair just has to suck it up. I'm sure one would agree that a little discomfort is in order for a person who really needs the help of a true service dog.

But for the comfort/emotional support/anxiety dogs, this is where people have to complain, because they are not covered under ADA regulations. We had a lady bring her to community meetings and said the dog was her emotional support dog and let this dog sit on the furniture. I called the association and ask for their stance on emotional support dogs and they said they only adhere to the ADA guidelines and emotional support dogs are not allowed in the building. They told the lady that she could no longer bring her dog into any of the buildings.

For the record, I have a beautiful 3 1/2 year old Old English Sheepdog who I love deeply. I take her on road trips. We stay in dog allowed hotels and houses (I always call the property and check their policies, including weight restriction, before I book them, I pick up after her and she is crated when I leave her alone in someone else's property (even though she is not crated at home). If dog owners are not responsible, some day those of us that are, will not be allowed to travel with our pets. I would never try to get Sadie on a plane or ship or in a restaurant or other place of business, because she is, after all, a pet and doesn't belong there.

On my Alaska trip last year, there was a woman in a scooter who had a little dog. I guess the dog could smell whatever condition... who knows. All I know is the dog was having a fantastic time running around the piano bar on deck 6, riding around with me in the woman's scooter and generally being a really hap-hap-happy little dog wagging its tail around the ship and very busy with not smelling any medical conditions whatsoever.

It seemed doubtful that the happy little dog was performing any medical service, but I'm not accusing anyone of anything. In fact, I wouldn't bet that it wasn't. The pup was well behaved and brought smiles to everyone's face. Many folks, including myself, enjoy dogs at home and it's nice to see dogs when traveling.

If a couple folks get away with an air-quotes service dog, I'm not losing sleep over it....

a) Are you that woman?

b) Did you steal that woman's scooter?

c) Were you having as much fun as the pooch?

Enquiring minds want to know! :eek:

Stephen

Did anyone ever see a service cat? I am thinking of bringing ours.

Do you think they would buy that we get severely depressed without him?

If not, its off to grandma's he goes......too bad kids life is full of disappointments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

So what's the deal in an emergence . :confused:

Does the cruise line have to save a seat in the life boat for a service dog ??No

Are there life jackets for dogs ?No

SOLAS, which is the guiding force for safety at sea, only applies to humans.

The only reason the ships have to meet the ADA is that they provide a "service directly to the public" (providing accommodation and meals) WHILE IN US PORTS. So, technically, while at sea, they could ignore the ADA, since the ship is not registered in the US. They continue to meet ADA all the time, since the most important points of the ADA are in construction, so that is a fixed.

Edited by chengkp75

For a true service dog, anyone allergic or who doesn't like dog hair just has to suck it up. I'm sure one would agree that a little discomfort is in order for a person who really needs the help of a true service dog.

But for the comfort/emotional support/anxiety dogs, this is where people have to complain, because they are not covered under ADA regulations. We had a lady bring her to community meetings and said the dog was her emotional support dog and let this dog sit on the furniture. I called the association and ask for their stance on emotional support dogs and they said they only adhere to the ADA guidelines and emotional support dogs are not allowed in the building. They told the lady that she could no longer bring her dog into any of the buildings.

For the record, I have a beautiful 3 1/2 year old Old English Sheepdog who I love deeply. I take her on road trips. We stay in dog allowed hotels and houses (I always call the property and check their policies, including weight restriction, before I book them, I pick up after her and she is crated when I leave her alone in someone else's property (even though she is not crated at home). If dog owners are not responsible, some day those of us that are, will not be allowed to travel with our pets. I would never try to get Sadie on a plane or ship or in a restaurant or other place of business, because she is, after all, a pet and doesn't belong there.

I too have an Old English Sheepdog that would behave better than most children I've seen. He doesn't shed and sticks to me like glue. I would love to be able to have Seamus accompany me on a cruise but I love him too much to expose him to the stress of being outside his calm, comfortable environment!:)

SOLAS, which is the guiding force for safety at sea, only applies to humans.

The only reason the ships have to meet the ADA is that they provide a "service directly to the public" (providing accommodation and meals) WHILE IN US PORTS. So, technically, while at sea, they could ignore the ADA, since the ship is not registered in the US. They continue to meet ADA all the time, since the most important points of the ADA are in construction, so that is a fixed.

Thanks' for the Info Chief . :)

I was in Walmart a few weeks ago and a young woman had about a 4mo old puppy in the shopping cart. When I told her I didnt think dogs were aloud in Walmart, she said it was a service dog....I asked how a puppy that youg coulc be a service dog and she said "its 1/2 service dog" I just shook my head...Im sorry, but I dont want a dog in the shopping cart Im going to put my food in. :eek:

I too have an Old English Sheepdog that would behave better than most children I've seen. He doesn't shed and sticks to me like glue. I would love to be able to have Seamus accompany me on a cruise but I love him too much to expose him to the stress of being outside his calm, comfortable environment!:)
Sadie is not that well behaved. In fact, she has yet to learn how to control her licker....everyone who came near would get a big sloppy kiss from her. She loves going to "camp" where she can play with other dogs, when mom goes on vacation.

Your dog is beautiful.

Edited by NLH Arizona