Princess getting more like Carnival

jkocpa

For the past 22 consecutive years, Carnival Cruise Line has enjoyed the highest guest satisfaction ratings and the highest profits of any cruise line on Earth.

Carnival Corp does not normally break out the profitability of any of its individual 9 cruise brands.

What is the source of your information that the CCL brand, only one of the 9, has the highest profits?

None of this sounds particularly unusual. A lot of this stuff was happening on Princess ships back in 2011. And there was at least one lecturer on the Island Princess on the coastal repo I did last year. I imagine a lot of it depends on the personnel running the ship and the itinerary (you're probably a lot more likely to have lecturers on cruises with lots of sea days than you would on port-intensive cruises.)

With 6 sea days in a 12 night cruise I expected lectures. Princess pro,one's Scholarship@Sea but didn't deliver on that front besides art classes. It's a shame.

I must admit I may well win a hairy chest contest BUT when on a Princess cruise I certainly don't want there to be one and if there was would be certain to be elsewhere on the ship at that time.

Not having juvenile activities like that is one of many reasons that out of the 6 different lines we've tried Princess is the only one that we've repeated (but would repeat on HAL as well to be sure).

Carnival Corp does not normally break out the profitability of any of its individual 9 cruise brands.

What is the source of your information that the CCL brand, only one of the 9, has the highest profits?

Correction. Carnival Corp does not normally break out the profitability of any of it's individual brands TO THE PUBLIC.

My attendance at the annual Carnival Senior Management meetings gives me that information - although I cannot divulge the actual numbers.

It was in the patter, I noticed it listed and kinda went 'huh?'. Pretty sure (but not absolutely positive) that it's the first time I've seen it on Princess. I don't tend to spend lots of time sitting around the pools, but I have to admit, not quite the direction I'd really like to see.

We were surprised as well. There was not a crowd of people watching, seemed like people were not interested in seeing this activity. We just happened to be there at that time.

Just got off carnival spirit this morning and its nothing like princess. The cruise director name was giggles and grated on everyone. I would put it below royal carribean.

So you all have a lovely jubley day. In my best cd giggles voice.

What happened to Stu?

I have only done a few cruises but have learnt not to compare them, just enjoy them and don't let anything or one spoil them.

Carnival is for kids predominately and families (at least in Australia).

I still like Princess as it seems more for my type. It depends on some of the staff - the CD on our long Princess Cruise had been an entertainer and definitely couldn't organise his way out of a paper bag, and didn't listen to passengers - he provided what he thought. Thankfully his staff understood and changed some things to help.

Carnival CD - well yes they entertain the kids - of which I sometimes feel like but I really couldn't warm to him.

It would be great to meet a good Cruise Director - maybe our next Princess Cruise.

"I have done 10 Princess cruises and 2 Carnival. I don't think Princess is like Carnival. Just my opinion. Starting from the décor of the ships..... "

I agree. However, I find it disturbing that people are reporting seeing the hairy chest contest on Princess. If I wanted to see that, I would cruise on Carnival. It's good that there are different brands that offer different things. I prefer the more refined experience on Princess and I'd like it to stay that way.

Edited by PhoneGoddess
quote did not work

This topic rears its head on all the Carnival Corp owned lines. To some extent it is true, there are cheapenings and cost cuttings. Unfortunately, If your town is like mine, look around--the general population is evolving more toward the Carnival stereotypical passenger.:eek:

As I often say..."It's becoming a Walmart World"

We want things cheaper and Princess is cutting back to give us what we want.

Have done 7 Carnival cruises and 4 Princess cruises, after the last carnival cruise,.... that will be my last Carnival cruise......we love Princess and hope the Princess experience will never become like Carnival!.....I know everyone has seen the funny photos of people shopping at WalMart, those same people in those photos were on our last Carnival cruise, I don't mean to offend anyone here but to us that was the last straw!

I'll start to worry when Princess institutes the hairy chest contest.

It might be interesting if they made it "equal opportunity" M/F, with a winner and a "loser". :D:eek::D

Nope. That definitely sounds more "Carnival" than "Princess". I hope for a little more class than that when I cruise.

OP, do you know the names of the Cruise Directors from Carnival that have switched to Princess? Looking at Carnival's recent CD schedule, many of the old Cruise Directors that we became friends with/friendly with over the years are no longer with Carnival and many social hosts/ACDs were promoted with some names we didn't even recognize. TIA

Edited by Disconnections

OP, do you know the names of the Cruise Directors from Carnival that have switched to Princess? Looking at Carnival's recent CD schedule, many of the old Cruise Directors that we became friends with/friendly with over the years are no longer with Carnival and many social hosts/ACDs were promoted with some names we didn't even recognize. TIA

Check this thread. The list is updated from time to time:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1684269&page=45

BTW, Disconnections, I like it:

Your = possessive (you own something)

You're = contraction (you are)

Then = time

Than = comparisons

Their = possessive (they own something)

There = refers to a place or idea

They're = contraction (they are)

Edited by ar1950

I am elite on Princess but also cruise Carnivalas well as the other cruise lines occasionally ....they are all very different...we dont compare them..we simply enjoy each one for what they offer....

Same here ... Elite on Princess but occasionally cruise on Carnival because Charleston is a very convenient port for us and Carnival Fantasy is the only ship in town. Per above, we don't compare them and accept the fact they are very different. ;)

LuLu

Check this thread. The list is updated from time to time:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1684269&page=45

BTW, Disconnections, I like it:

Your = possessive (you own something)

You're = contraction (you are)

Then = time

Than = comparisons

Their = possessive (they own something)

There = refers to a place or idea

They're = contraction (they are)

Thanks for the link and the compliment!