Using a passport card versus a passport?

Gari

I just got a new passport and purchased the passport card too. It appears you can use the card in place of bringing your passport for cruises (as long as you are going from the USA to the either Canada or the Caribbean). Has anyone done this? The card is smaller so it would be nice not having to bring the regular passport but I want to be sure. Anyone done this?

Yes, you can use your card unless you are flying out of the US to countries other than Mexico and Canada; then you need your passport. But my question is why did you get both? The passport gives you more latitude for traveling and has all of the benefits of the card.

Yes, you can use your card unless you are flying out of the US to countries other than Mexico and Canada; then you need your passport. But my question is why did you get both? The passport gives you more latitude for traveling and has all of the benefits of the card.

A passport card is not valid for international travel by air even to Mexico and Canada. It is only good for land crossings and sea travel.

if you only carry your passport card with you on a cruise and you are injured while at port you will not be able to be air lifted out of that port.:eek: If you have your passport book you would be able to. :)

This is how it was explained to us when we bought our kids the passport cards.

A passport card is not valid for international travel by air even to Mexico and Canada. It is only good for land crossings and sea travel.

The only itin I'd consider using with the card is the 3/4 day cruises out of Long Beach/Los Angeles. Ensenada is about 75 land miles south of the border.

Thanks all for the information. To answer why I have both. I enjoying cruising and am going on my 13th one with Carnival and 20th overall this coming November. However I also enjoy traveling to other places and continents, where of course you must carry a passport. The passport card was so inexpensive and seems very small easy to use for these types of cruises that I am happy to have both.

Have a great day and thanks again for everyones advise and information

if you only carry your passport card with you on a cruise and you are injured while at port you will not be able to be air lifted out of that port.:eek: If you have your passport book you would be able to. :)

This is how it was explained to us when we bought our kids the passport cards.

Yes you can. It happens sometimes that people are stuck in another country without a passport and need to make it home, the US consulate in that country can help you get the documentation needed to get home. Think of the 10s of thousands of people who travel with a birth certificate and driver's license.

Passport cards IMO are a total waste of money unless you need one to travel between the US and Canada or Mexico.

Otherwise for cruising, a birth certificate and your license (that you most likely always have with you) do the same thing

Edited by SeaUs

For us, purchasing passports instead of the cards is a wise investment…especially for our daughter. She starts college next August and plans to participate in at least one internship for her major in another continent. But in many things, YMMV.

:)

For people that don't know this. You don't need a passport to take a cruise. Just ID. We have used our enhanced drivers license for all our cruises.

Not true. There are cruises that you must have a passport for. Only for US citizens, on a closed-loop cruise, is there a loophole that allows the use of birth certificate and driver's license (or enhanced license) for the cruise.

And, on some cruise lines, even on closed loop cruises, they require a passport. Yes, some cruise lines have stricter requirements than the law on occasion.

Passport cards IMO are a total waste of money unless you need one to travel between the US and Canada or Mexico.

Otherwise for cruising, a birth certificate and your license (that you most likely always have with you) do the same thing

For some it's worth the money to have only one document to present. For us, we needed something that meant that we wouldn't have to keep taking DW's naturalization certificate (just spilling a glass of water on it would ruin it and require the expenditure of several hundred dollars to replace it). We did think about getting the passport card, but since we live in a state that issues Enhanced Drivers Licenses we decided to go with them because it meant only having to carry one document that we normally carry all of the time anyway. We will likely keep the EDL's even after we obtain passports next year just to have backup documentation available.

For people that don't know this. You don't need a passport to take a cruise. Just ID. We have used our enhanced drivers license for all our cruises.

You don't need a passport for some cruises. They are definitely needed for open loop, transoceanic, and European. Some people may have more ambitious plans for travel than you do.

An enhanced drivers license is the equivalent of a passport card - it's a passport card merged with your DL, and it's only available in a handful of states that border Canada. "Just ID" won't get you on a cruise.

My wife and I have Nexus Cards which are basically the same thing as passport cards. We use the Cards as our cruise docs, and lock them in the safe the whole cruise, but still bring our passports off the ship in case for some reason we get stranded and get back. This way as well if your passport happens to get stolen, you will be OK because you still have ID to get back in the country.

Yes you can. It happens sometimes that people are stuck in another country without a passport and need to make it home, the US consulate in that country can help you get the documentation needed to get home. Think of the 10s of thousands of people who travel with a birth certificate and driver's license.

Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.

this is copied from the passports website!

Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.

this is copied from the passports website!

Thanks, please read further into my post, the US won't just leave you stranded.

Thanks all for the information. To answer why I have both. I enjoying cruising and am going on my 13th one with Carnival and 20th overall this coming November. However I also enjoy traveling to other places and continents, where of course you must carry a passport. The passport card was so inexpensive and seems very small easy to use for these types of cruises that I am happy to have both.

Have a great day and thanks again for everyones advise and information

Agree, for the price we also bought both. We know it's limitations, but at a beach, the card travels better- over 15 years ago and just learning our waterproof container leaked a bit by a rogue wave and passport had curled thick pages until it expired. So on same page as original OP.

I was just curious about something as when I renewed my passport a couple years ago I picked up a card just for the heck of it. I am going to bring my regular passport anyway, but I was curious if someone could use just a passport card or DL and birth certificate for the southern caribbean

cruise out of San Juan? I'm guessing it's OK as it is a U.S. territory, but this topic just had me wondering.

I was just curious about something as when I renewed my passport a couple years ago I picked up a card just for the heck of it. I am going to bring my regular passport anyway, but I was curious if someone could use just a passport card or DL and birth certificate for the southern caribbean

cruise out of San Juan? I'm guessing it's OK as it is a U.S. territory, but this topic just had me wondering.

Yes. Same as if you were going out of another US port.

I just got a new passport and purchased the passport card too. It appears you can use the card in place of bringing your passport for cruises (as long as you are going from the USA to the either Canada or the Caribbean). Has anyone done this? The card is smaller so it would be nice not having to bring the regular passport but I want to be sure. Anyone done this?

We have both. I take both. The book stays in my safe. I carry the card with me as my ID into port.