Getaway - Do they do a Baked Alaska?

Tggrtoes

My in laws are coming with us on our upcoming Getaway cruise (10/4). They are avid cruisers on Princess. They are wondering if the Getaway does a Baked Alaska dessert on NCL - and specifically if they do a presentation of the baked alaska.

I'm guessing not, but does anyone know?

Thanks! This was my assumption given the different times folks would eat. FYI - They do serve this on Carnival (at least as of a year ago when we were on them last), but no presentation... just on the menu. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but they really miss seeing it. :confused:

thanks again.

My in laws are coming with us on our upcoming Getaway cruise (10/4). They are avid cruisers on Princess. They are wondering if the Getaway does a Baked Alaska dessert on NCL - and specifically if they do a presentation of the baked alaska.

Gone. NCL figured out another way to save a nickel so they don't offer it anymore.

Even if they wanted to do it, it would not make sense. They would be doing the "presentation" while some people are eating their entree, some eating their salad, some just sitting down, some just getting up, etc.

Princess only does the baked Alaska presentation in traditional seatings.

In any case, it is not the presentation of yore where the meringue topping was set aflame as it was carried through the dining room. Now it is sparklers or some other doo hickey on top.

It is a shame. The baked Alaska used to be served with the meringue topping warm from the flames with the ice cream cold and just turning soft.

Now you get it totally cold and is nothing special.

Can't recall seeing it on NCL for a long time. We did have it served on DCL Fantasy on Friday night but no presentation. I don't recall seeing it on the other DCL ships but it has been awhile since we sailed DCL prior to this trip.

No but they have a burnt New Jersey! :D

They all my have stopped the table side show due to the open flames (safety hazard). Long gone are the day of the baked Alaska and the cherries jubilee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it was addressed on today's CC comments about the new menus. Open flames aren't allowed in the dining rooms.