"LIVE" from the VISION of the SEAS With Trainman-2 & Judith

The Carriage Ride through Charleston took about an hour and was excellent! Our driver had been working for the same carriage company for 16 years and knew the historic story of just about everything in Charleston.

Because the carriages are slow and block traffic on the narrow streets the drivers pull over often to allow cars and trucks to pass. They also have six different routes and as a carriage leaves the barn, they are told which route to take to spread out the slowness so to speak.

DSCN0348_zps5ba22ac2.jpg

DSCN0347_zpsc02774cb.jpg

DSCN0352_zps7b81e582.jpg

DSCN0351_zpsf55c25fa.jpg

I shot photos of these two signs because they often have people complain about mistreatment of the horses and mules.

DSCN0349_zpsdcec666c.jpg

DSCN0350_zps2a942ab1.jpg

You may not know that I am an Agriculturalist and Amateur Historian.

Here is an old (before I lost 50 pounds) photo of me with the Mini-Horse, "BUDDY" at the Florida Agricultural Museum. My Brother, Tom, and I donated "Buddy" to the Museum.

DSCN2217.jpg

And here is an two year old photo of me in the swamp near the Ag Museum while searching for an old colonial road and the site of a Seminole Indian War Fort.

Kawasaki-01.jpg

I have more photos from today in Charleston to upload and post.

More tomorrow...

Thank you very much for your great review. Your pictures are beautiful, as usual. Looking forward to more great views of Charleston. Hope Judith is feeling much better.

Sheila

Thank you for posting the info from the Palmetto Carriage Works, I appreciate that. I always have concern for the animals, and it appears theirs are very well cared for. :) Loved seeing Buddy again, so cute! Have a restful evening, and I hope Judith is feeling better and stronger!

Hello J & J. Have been busy for a bit, but finally sat down and decided to find ur "LIVE FROM", so now I'm all caught up. Enjoy your cruise, I know I'm enjoying it so far.

Had to laugh when I saw ur pic on the way to sick bay w/Judith . . . Sick as a dog and she still manages to smile. All I can say is YOU GO, GIRL!!!

Ellen

(p.s. Dacsmom, I must tell u that I think u have the cutest Avatar ever! It has always made me smile whenever I've seen it)

(p.s.s. Hope that Lyric is doing better, too. Update?)

Okay, BACK TO THE CRUISE!):D

I have to tell you that the ocean picture, when the seas were calm, just took my breathe away.....the blue colors are stunning beautiful.....the blue of the ocean is gorgeous....the light blue sky with the light white clouds are great contrast......

Thanks for sharing so many pictures.....I'm on Vision for the Christmas cruise...enjoy and blessing to your wife that she recovers and enjoys herself...

Thursday, Day 4, At Sea, Headed for Bermuda

Good Morning Everyone,

I set my watch ahead one hour this morning in accordance with the Captains's Orders. I was supposed to do it at 2:00 am but I didn't wake up until about 4:30 am.

I was up on the Pool Deck for Morning Coffee and "other activities" and a maintenance crew was hard at work cleaning and disinfecting the hot tubs and all of the wood surrounding the pool that accumulates Sun Tan Oils and who knows what else.

DSCN0415_zps6e3fca08.jpg

DSCN0414_zps83e08f95.jpg

DSCN0413_zpsf7dcc6e1.jpg

I know that many of you (maybe most of you) are late sleepers and never see the crew hard at work cleaning up after us. You may rest assured that they keep busy.

A Clean Ship is a Happy Ship!

I am back from breakfast in the Windjammer followed up with other activities on the Pool Deck.

DSCN0416_zps0dd1a78c.jpg

I tried the scrambled eggs with salsa but the salsa was a bit too spicy for my taste.

I have really come to like the biscuits and gravy in the morning. True, they are not the Southern Version that I am used to at home, but they are very good. The gravy is slightly sweet.

I also found out, by accident, that bacon and gravy is good too.

The Pork Sausages are excellent! Very "porky" and not the little mini sausages that have been served on past cruises.

The Bacon is also excellent. It is cooked to be slightly crispy as it should be for a Southerner. RCI's Bacon has gotten "thinner" as has bacon in every restaurant we commonly visit at home.

Yesterday we had lunch in Hyman's Restaurant in Charleston. Out front they had four of the old style, traditional, Southern, Porch Rockers. Here is a photo of one. I have figured out that I can build one from the photo for our porch at home. The only hard part will be getting some decent hard wood.

If anyone else wants to build one, it was about 8' wide and the seat was about 12" deep.

Note that it "rocks" side to side, not front to back.

DSCN0362_zps862d016e.jpg

Hyman's provided complementary Boiled Peanuts and Hush Puppies.

DSCN0364_zps30e414c3.jpg

I had picked up some coupons for a free appetizer in the Cruise Terminal so they brought out a small plate with four Fried Green Tomatoes covered with milted cheese.

I had the Fried Flounder which is one of their specialties. It is heavily breaded!

DSCN0365_zpsd2a8a944.jpg

DSCN0366_zps3665a97c.jpg

DSCN0367_zps6ad5396c.jpg

DSCN0368_zpsbebe9d06.jpg

Random Photos from our Charleston Tour...

In the photo below you see the ends of 1/2" iron rods that pass through the entire house to "hold it together" using decorative "washers" on the outside.

DSCN0361_zpse36bc6be.jpg

Note that in the photo below the second floor leans a bit to theleft and the third floor leans a bit to the right.

DSCN0360_zps2f7331cb.jpg

The house below is in "limbo" because it is in such bad shape that it cannot be rebuilt to the standards of the City's Architectural Review Board at a reasonable cost. The solution in cases like this is to seal them up and allow it to collapse by itself. Then it can be easily and inexpensively rebuilt from the ground up.

DSCN0359_zps36304112.jpg

DSCN0358_zps9d19c95e.jpg

Thank you for the fine reportage and pictures.

Have you been happy with your new camera so far?

Trainman - I'm loving following along your live review of your Vision of the Seas sailing. Hope Judith continues to be on the mend. What kind of camera are you using for photos in the review? Great photos!!