Le Club Voyage Thumbs up or down

uktog

Wow, this change make me feel that my Elite Status on Princess is like being a REALLY appreciated guest.

My old Azmara (RCCL) Platinium status is now something else but with no benefits. Less than before.

Perhaps for our 46th wedding anniversary I will show my appreciation to my wife by bringing her to my nearest Burger King for lunch. She will appreciate the new upgraded anniversary dinner. And yes, no more dozen roses, she will receive an enhanced carnation in a ceremonial brown paper bag.

I love you so much, please enjoy the candy necklace.

And yes, Dear Wife, your favorite cruise line has gone down the toilet.

Seriously, a question for my fellow CC members.

Why would Azamara alienate their strongest customer base?

Edited by peternina
adding question

Finally even the on board experience can't make up for the ineptness of Azamara management.

We've now "backed up" our next year's Azamara B2B with a nice Ocean Princess B2B itinerary. :)Still hate the idea of having to pay Azamara to cancel our cruises because their rules have changed midstream. :mad:

Bruce

You should not have to pay to cancel

They withdrew an inducement

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This has been an issue for me too and I have posted about it more than once before on this board. In addition, general communication with Azamara is terrible. I mean by that receiving any form of paper or electronic contact. I have never received a formal notification of the change of levels from last year and doubt I will get anything about this latest announcement.

There will be quarterly 10% savings offers for members as part of the new perks and I shouldn't think I will receive any personal advices of those either and I'm probably not the only one. I wonder if in putting these new benefits out there anyone has thought of that. They have had my email many times so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anyone else had the email about the changes that started going out at 10am EST yesterday?

Phil

No E-mail communication here and we too have been registered and have re- registered many times.

We got the email at 2:56 p.m. yesterday. It did have our correct category(DPlus) and I have to say I was disappointed.

As Mike(Xport) and Phil have pointed out, it seems to take away the benefits that most of the passengers value and replace them with benefits that may be useful to a much smaller percentage of the Azamara cruising community.

Like Mike, we have quite a few sailing days before achieving the highest level on Azamara, and are more likely to accumulate points on Celebrity in the suites, which after April 2015 gives quite a few extra benefits for the higher suites. If we someday make Zenith on Celebrity, it would probably tip us over the 50% mark to Celebrity, so that the DPlat. benefit would not be available to us for the free nights.

With the purchase by the NCL parent company of the Prestige brand of Regent and Oceania, we may look to see what our status with NCL might work in our favor on pricing or benefits.

We are elite with Princess and E+ on Celebrity, and have mid tier status on several other lines both small and large, so I guess it will come down to the itinerary we want to take, and the evaluation of the experience and the perceived benefits on each cruise line.

While we really enjoy Azamara, I think these changes may be geared to the newer Azamara cruiser who has not experienced the previous benefits of prior sailings.

We love the onboard ship experience, but everything presailing IT related has not been the best in the past.

For those of you who are not receiving emails timely, we finally got it fixed when we called into Celebrity's Captain's Club department and had them straighten out our record. Previously we were getting emails addressed to other Azamara customers and goodness knows who was getting ours.

I think the staff and crew on Quest and Journey are wonderful, and if the itinerary and price are right, we will cruise with them again.

I would have appreciated it more if they revised the program and did not try and tell its members that this was a terrific long overdue change to its program.

I believe that the members can afford the internet and laundry since they have paid a premium for the sailing, but like others, I don't want to do laundry for a couple of hours, or go to an internet café in port to stay in touch when I am on vacation.

For those who have bookings in 2015, I think Azamara should honor the benefits that the passenger thought they were getting when they purchased the cruise. I do understand that the program can be changed at any time, but it would go a long way in making the transition smoother and convincing people on the fence that they would still want to cruise with Azamara after

the changes going forward.

I am hopeful that Azamara will rethink its benefits, after it has read the feedback from its customers. I personally can do without the jewelry and the spa discounts a cocktail party, or stateroom upgrades if some of the items that the majority of the posters want can be restored.

I have always found that the Azamara officials have been responsive on these boards, and I look forward to a well reasoned response by them, as I still believe that Azamara is a class act and will take a wait and see attitude.

Like everyone else, I find it extremely difficult to see how anyone, even including the marketing experts at Azamara, have managed to interpret what they're now offering as a Loyalty program, to disincent so many customers at a stroke.

Whilst the removal of the benefits won't make us try to cancel our TA next year (especially as in the UK that'd cost us £500 lost deposit), the loss of the free internet minutes will be a disappointment, especially as whilst on board this year I was busy broadcasting to all and sundry of our cruise buddies, just how wonderful Azamara Quest was.

Must say we never saw a free bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin this year, so maybe they just removed that early! :confused:

We might go up a tier on the next cruise but even then how that "incentive" really works seems fairly unclear to me. If I have interpreted it correctly it would only benefit should we book another cruise, so as someone else commented, not quite as good value as the Bird in the Hand.

I thought I had read from Joel that there had been a trial of the new programme? If it had I'd love to see the results.......

I am always very suspicious of money off or free days as the price baseline is variable throughout the booking period. Unless it is a fixed price product these types of offering are pretty meaningless.

If it is a better deal for customers as the illustration tried to persuade us then Azamara should save money and take a step back!

We were looking forward to a Dubai to Singapore in November 2015 but will be looking for an alternative. It isn't the specific issues which disappoint so much it is the way Azamara have made customers feel so unappreciated - so different from their partner cruise lines programmes.

I'm really nothing but confused as a 1st time AZ cruiser with status from Celebrity and Platinum on Princess.

Internet is a big thing for me! I want it! I would live with paying for internet for one or two cruises while gaining status but NO HOPE. Giving me my status from other lines would really impress me -- I only want internet benefit but I WOULD think about the cost of internet on all-in price. As it is, I think for me and my party of 3 that does not drink alcohol all-inclusive is not as good for us because we drink water and occasional iced tea only. Make up for it with internet or laundry or something. The price of liquor would cover it!!!

If there is no more free laundry what the heck is that little tiny laundry room going to be like? :eek::mad: 16 days with 14 more days pre and post --pull out the nose plugs. With no laundry benefits then the laundry room is going to be horrible :eek: Even on Princess, I have the tactic of going to the "suites" decks if I need to do laundry because "suites" don't have to worry about it! So even if I didn't get the laundry bag this trip -- I get busted on the crowded laundry.

I don't drink wine or spirits. I don't go to the spa ever (well not in the last 25 cruises/land tours). I live in ocean view stateroom -- my upgrade pleasure is midships from extreme front or rear. (that is why double upgrade brought me in!) I have never ever even been in a suite let alone live there. What the heck is in the loyalty scheme benefiting me even though all together I have 280 days at sea and cruise on SOME line at least 3 times a year. Why pay extra for AZ? (most expensive cruise I've ever booked is AZ) This has been a hard trip already and I don't leave until Feb. 2015.:( Wishing I had booked with O instead of AZ -- well maybe the bucket list Komodo Dragons will be enough. Not feeling happy with AZ choice.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Having read AzamaraJoel's comments I'm more confused than ever!!

Like most of the folks on this thread the only 'perks' we really used were the internet and laundry .

We are booked for next year and based on what we are seeing that will be it for Azamara.

Love the small ships but inspire of how great the crew is, this is just not 'value for money' any more.

'

Margaret and Iain

I thought I had read from Joel that there had been a trial of the new programme? If it had I'd love to see the results.......

Hi Tony UK,

I dont get that comment either. Had their been a trial of eliminating the free internet or laundry, I think it's a pretty safe bet that it would have been reported on this forum.

Not sure what exactly they tried out onboard, but I sure wish Azamara would have polled their most loyal guests before they made the changes. If they had, they could have saved themselves from a huge headache. IMO, this was avoidable.

With that said, I continue to have faith in Larry Pimentel, and that Azamara will do the right thing. I remain hopeful that Azamara will review the feeback, and make changes to what was announced. To be clear, my feelings are based on nothing more than common sense, 36 years of senior management experience, and a dash of wishful thinking :).

Edited by Host Andy

Four Thumbs Down from us ( my Wife and I). L.P. ran us off in 2010 with his deceptive pricing. We gave a second chance in 2012 and enjoyed the trip, but we could see significant changes from when we started with Azamara in 2008 and in 2012. Now we're almost certainly gone again. Phil, I still want to buy you that malt, but it will have to be on Celebrity where I can use my Elite Plus benefits.

We wish Azamara well and Good Luck. I think that it's very possible that it may well be needed.

Ed

Definitely thumbs down from us. I cannot understand why the powers that be would want to alienate their loyal customers in this way.

I cannot see that it would gain them much revenue as I definitely wouldn't pay for the Internet now, I would prefer to do without if I chose Azamara again. This is looking less likely as the feeling of being valued promotes loyalty. My loyalty is waning.

I am stunned by the changes in the program. (I did not get an e-mail with my level)

When they raised the rates to make Azamara "more inclusive", they were tipping the scales with us whether to stay loyal to Azamara or jump ship. :) We only drink wine with meals and do not particularly enjoy the Azamazing evenings. To us, the liquor and event did not justify the huge price increase. The two perks of being loyal that we appreciated and used were the same as almost everyone here is stating - the internet and the free bag of laundry per 7 days.

We are / were Discoverer level....never received a "welcome home" gift when we went up a level. Never drank the sparkling wine in our cabin and never met or spoke to anyone about Le Club Voyage - either onboard or by phone. I am sure the new person is very nice....but, something that most of us do not want or need.

In my "past life", I was in the airline industry and one of my positions was with the frequent flyer program. I managed retention and acquisition campaigns. This new announcement /campaign just blows my mind. Sorry, no other way to put it.

We had planned on booking 2 cruises in 2015 and Australia in 2016....but, count us out. There is no reason to remain loyal and we are starting to feel nickel and dimed. With the airline frequent flyer programs, we would actively recruit and convert customers over from other carriers and match their status. I am hoping some of the other cruise lines are watching this and will do the same. Oceania has been running specials with Unlimited Internet. Why is Azamara going in the other direction?

Wow. I guess I have more pressing things to worry about besides whether or not Azamara gives me a free bag of laundry or some internet minutes because I'm a loyal customer.

To some extent I agree, and if I compare this new programme to Oceania's it seems not that unreasonable and thus O does not provide a hugely attractive alternative in this area.

However, there may be two major problems with ACC's plan:

1/ The reciprocal relationship with Celebrity. For a lower fare one can accrue similar points and more easily attain perks such as laundry and internet that everyone really enjoys.

2/ We, personally, are not at a particularly high level in Le Club Voyage and the changes are much less punitive to us than for those of a superior ranking. For them, the "loyalty" rewards are disproportionately harder to access again when compared to the Celebrity programme.

As I've stated before, I think the original ACC programme was too kind for those just beginning their experience with Azamara, probably in an attempt to attract cruisers from Celebrity. (As we were)

However, in adjusting the rewards, they have punished long time ACC cruisers, with many more cruises than us, who are their loyal base. And Celebrity is, for many, a viable alternative.

Thus, we will pay the Internet fees and laundry charges since it is not a huge amount. But they really need to provide much more in perks for those who early on supported a new cruising experience, and whose enthusiasm for that experience attracted others, like us, to give it a try.

Just back from first Azamara cruise as Discoverer (elite plus now on celebrity). These changes have certainly confirmed for us why we usually sail with Celebrity. All negatives on the club changes so back we go to Solstice class !

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A lot of focus in this forum has been on the loss of laundry and internet. We are not happy about that either, however, we would happily pay for internet and laundry if this perk had been replaced with something of at least equal or greater value. The way we see it, there just isn't much of value anymore for cruisers with Discoverer Status and higher. That is the issue.

We are not going to spend $1000 in the Shop to save 10%. We are not interested in the Spa, especially given our previous experience with the hard sale tactics of Steiner. We are Discoverer, with 349 points, all earned with Azamara. We need 400 points to advance to the next tier in order to receive Free Nights. That means 80 more days in a veranda - not happening anytime soon. The likelihood of getting a Suite upgrade - almost nil as many cruisers have way more points than we do. As to the booking on board - not sure is this is the best option. The price under the recent BOGOHO promotion, for the same cruise, was substantially less than the price when we booked on board last Feb - even when you factored in the $200pp on board discount.

AZ, where is the value for us in this new program?

Now we know the changes thought I'd start a new thread to avoid losing feedback in the old thread - what feedback do you want to give Azamara

Here are the changes

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/our-ships/le-club-voyage/new-versus-old

And my first impressions, unless I am missing some details are :(

Internet mattered a lot to us, I doubt the discounts will cover the cost of minutes we will need

Loss of laundry on b2b again an issue

Anyway I wait to hear the maths, I don't cruise for the benefits but do I want to incur even more costs if I can help it

uktog...I was not aware there is free laundry on a B2B. I didn't see this anywhere when I booked. Will this still be available in a few weeks?

I think ACC is making a HUGE mistake. :mad: :mad: They also announced this on their facebook page and there are a lot of negative comments there. I don't use the Internet on cruises because I'm not paying an outrageous price and it is so slow it eats the minutes up. I was thrilled to have free minutes this year.

uktog...I was not aware there is free laundry on a B2B. I didn't see this anywhere when I booked. Will this still be available in a few weeks?

I think ACC is making a HUGE mistake. :mad: :mad: They also announced this on their facebook page and there are a lot of negative comments there. I don't use the Internet on cruises because I'm not paying an outrageous price and it is so slow it eats the minutes up. I was thrilled to have free minutes this year.

Hi Midwestchick,

The Le Club Voyage benefits program does not change until Jan 1 2015, so I would presume the current benefit structure will remain for the balance of 2014. Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Wow is right!

I recently booked my first Azamara cruise on the Journey's transatlantic next November. I do enjoy Elite status on Celebrity.

I booked the voyage, not for the benefits of Discoverer status but, for the single supplement of 125%.

However, I did take note of the benefits and because it is a 15 day voyage, looked forward to the 'free' laundry/week and 'free' internet. Even though the price is higher than what I would pay for a 'single' veranda, I was looking forward to the 'small ship' atmosphere and amenities.

I certainly don't have as much time/points invested in my loyalty program as most others, so perhaps my 'voice' won't ring as loud as (what appears to be) the vast majority of Azamara cruisers. However, I will add, my voice to the ring of "Thumbs Down".

I have read through these various threads and posts. Especially interesting to me were AzamaraJoel's posts and his latest with the comparisons and explanations on how this would be "better" for the Azamara cruisers. It is, IMO, nothing more than the old shell game. A good one, but still a shell game. No matter how Joel and Azamara try to convince its public this is for their good, that just isn't going to happen.

One of the mightiest gambits in free market economics is to complain with your wallet. That is exactly what I plan to do . . . . . but I will give them a reasonable amount of time to come to their senses. I am doing a Celebrity transatlantic in November, that gives them about 2 months as I will book something on board.. I am almost positive they will not turn over on this policy and it will probably cost me my $25 cancellation fee, but that is a cheap lesson IMO.

Here is the e-mail I received.

Most definitely thumbs down.

L’EXCITING NEWS FOR LE CLUB VOYAGE. Dear *****, Our Azamara Club Cruises® Le Club Voyage loyalty program is getting an upgrade—and a major one at that. We’ve been hard at work improving your loyalty benefits, and in January 2015, you will reap the new rewards. Le name will remain, but le program will be getting an upgrade. Here’s just some of what you can expect when we roll out le new Le Club Voyage in January 2015:

• USD 199 stateroom upgrades
  • Complimentary nights
  • Onboard savings
  • Savings on future voyages
  • Ongoing connection with an exclusive social community

We will also be introducing a shoreside Le Club Voyage Ambassador, who will be dedicated to communicating with our past guests and continuing to improve the loyalty program. After your first Azamara voyage, your program membership begins. If you’ve sailed with us before, your loyalty level will carry over when the new benefits begin. Stay tuned for more details. Le best is yet to come.

Andy...thank you for answering my question.

Edited by midwestchick

"uktog...I was not aware there is free laundry on a B2B."

I think what uktog meant is that free laundry is more important when taking a B2B. Azamara never offered free laundry on a B2B, only as a perq for certain levels of LCV, whether on a single cruise or multiple B2B cruises.

I think what uktog meant is that free laundry is more important when taking a B2B. Azamara never offered free laundry on a B2B, only as a perq for certain levels of LCV, whether on a single cruise or multiple B2B cruises.

Absolutely, two longer back to backs, over 30 days away from home, the two vouchers (it used to be one per person per voyage now it's one per cabin per voyage by the time I cruise that trip it will be a big fat zero) were small gestures that meant a lot

Edited by uktog

Then I am probably not at a high enough level to receive free laundry. Between ACC and X, I only have 24 nights on board.

Thumbs down from us too.

Unfortunately we have a cruise booked with Azamara next year. We would love to cancel it but in the UK we would lose £500 which was the deposit paid. We booked it some time ago and now we regret it.

We cruised four times with Azamara last year and really appreciated the free laundry and internet minutes. When all the website and communication problems arose we decided we didn't need such aggravation so decided to try Oceania for 2014 just to see what it was like.

By the end of this year we will have completed six cruises on Oceania and I am sure there will be a few more coming up. Fantastic ships, great food, wonderful crew, easy communication, (big bathrooms).

Cannot imagine why Azamara would want to drive away such loyal customers.

Again, looking at the bigger picture and I see some things that do concern me. My take is that the removal of the most commonly used perks - the laundry and the internet - reflects the impossibility of servicing the number of passengers making use of the benefit.

RCCL had boxed themselves into a corner with the pre-existing loyalty rewards that meant in a very short time far too many loyal repeat cruisers attained the higher levels.

So two ways of correcting this, either reduce the benefit entitlement or upgrade the existing systems to service customers. Of course the first option has been chosen, and I'm getting a bit worried about what kind of a message this is sending - I just don't see any commitment from RCCL in terms of supporting the two R class ships.

I am still completely at a loss though, to understand how someone somewhere thought it a bright idea to combine a service reduction announcement in with some very abstract enhancements and then roll it out with much fanfare as the "l'announcement of the year". I would suggest that une head needs to roll somewhere as a consequence of this fiasco.