Favorite RCI Cruise Memory

OK ... there's been so much negative stuff lately, How about something positive? What is your favorite memory of something that happened on an RCI cruise? Mine is easy ... it was surprising DD with a Grand Suite.

Full Suites are simply not in our price demographic ... and DD was well aware of that, but she always pined after them.

We had booked one last cruise before she was to head off to college and she selected a 7-day on the Grandeur out of Colon, Panama. I booked a balcony, but kept eyeing the pricing on JS cabins. By the time I called Reservations ready to part with a max of $500 for an upgrade to a JS, the difference had gone to $700 ... but then she told me it was only $100 more for a GS. I had to ponder the possibilities ... and I pondered for about 30 seconds. But I didn't tell DD about the switch. She never figured it out until we walked into the cabin. She stood there in the doorway in confusion looking at the counter that separates the entryway from the seating furniture and she said "Whoa! we never had one of these before." And I replied "That's because I never booked a Grand Suite before." Wow! The excitement level was over-the-top as she bounced around the cabin trying out the furniture, the bed, the curtain between the bed and the living space, the bathroom, the porch (sorry, it's too big to be called a balcony).

So cool a surprise

Mine would be a surprise cruise for my

Mum on rhapsody

Told her we were going to see the kids just didn't say how we were getting there

Had the best time with a couple we met in the lounge and they are dear friends now

There was only four of us in the lounge so was cool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my grandpa's 96th birthday we were on a cruise and he and my grandma participated in the love and marriage game. The cruise directos announced my grandpa's birthday and the whole theater sang to him. For the rest of the cruise people came up and wished him happy birthday by name and complimented him and my grandma on their marriage. They loved the attention so much!

It took some time, but I finally talked my mother into going on a cruise. She's an older woman and not really used to people doing things for her. She also shakes a little (she doesn't have Parkinsons, but it may be confused for that). Anyways, she was treated like a queen - in the Windjammer, somebody would immediately take her tray, they would cut up her food and somebody even fed her!! She was so moved that she was literally in tears the last night because she needed to leave.

This was some time ago and nobody ever fed her again on future cruises. But, seeing her so happy and treated so well is something I will never forget.

On my grandpa's 96th birthday we were on a cruise and he and my grandma participated in the love and marriage game. The cruise directors announced my grandpa's birthday and the whole theater sang to him. For the rest of the cruise people came up and wished him happy birthday by name and complimented him and my grandma on their marriage. They loved the attention so much!

It took some time, but I finally talked my mother into going on a cruise. She's an older woman and not really used to people doing things for her. She also shakes a little (she doesn't have Parkinsons, but it may be confused for that). Anyways, she was treated like a queen - in the Windjammer, somebody would immediately take her tray, they would cut up her food and somebody even fed her!! She was so moved that she was literally in tears the last night because she needed to leave.

This was some time ago and nobody ever fed her again on future cruises. But, seeing her so happy and treated so well is something I will never forget.

Two very special memories. Thank you so much for sharing. This is the sort of thing that makes cruising so special ... you'd never see this sort of thing happing on a land-based resort vacation.

Of all the great memories we have had on our numerous RCI cruises, I would have to say that my best one would be meeting my wife on the RCI Sun Viking in Alaska way back in 1992. After a 3 year, long distance relationship (she in Dallas, me in Minneapolis), we were married, had 2 kids (now 16 and 13) and are now approaching our 20th anniversary next June ... And, we just finished our 12th RCI cruise (Oasis of the Seas last week).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have so many lovely memories of different cruises, for different reasons. Our most recent cruise was on Independence in the Med.....

I travel with my son, who has a learning disability, and is my pride and joy. As on our previous cruises, I was overwhelmed by the kindness shown to him by our fellow cruisers and the crew, and everyone we met. He made so many friends, as usual, and had such a lot of fun with everyone. He just loves to make new friends, and he does, everywhere he goes. He is a special young man.

One thing my son particularly loves to do is sing and dance. He's not the best singer by any means, but nobody can beat him for sheer enthusiasm and gusto! Every night he was up at the karaoke, having the time of his life, and the support he got from the crowd was amazing. Night after night, high fives, cheers and standing ovations, and new fans.

As I say, he is not the best singer in the world, but when it came to the grand final Karaoke Superstar competition on the last day of our cruise, and unknown to me, some of the lovely people we had met during the cruise had made a very special request to the Cruise Director that he be allowed to take part, as he had been up on the small stage in the On Air Club singing every single night. His singing wasn't in the same league as the other, very talented contestants, but my goodness can he perform!! :D

Thanks to their requests, and the kindness of the ship's staff, my boy was given a special guest spot at the end of the contest, on the big stage, along with the team of backing singers he had accrued along the way. He was SO nervous I thought he was going to be sick, never having been on such a stage in front of hundreds of people - He was shaking - and then he sang, as only he can. And the crowd cheered and sang with him.... and I cried, and so did they.

It was amazing. He will remember it for a long time. So will I. That's the kind of thing that makes a holiday! :D

I have many wonderful memories of our cruises. The first time I stepped on a cruise ship (Mariner), sailing through a group of what had to be hundreds of dolphins between Vancouver and Maui, drinking Scotch and talking with an English Barrister in the concierge lounge (not bad for a mutt of very humble beginnings), hanging out with our new found Australian friends in the diamond lounge etc. But my favorite memories of cruising are seeing my wife (a VERY driven hard charger) actually able to just relax. Thank you for starting this thread, it does us good to reflect on the positive aspects of our lives.

I have three to share....

The most recent being the absolute elation of scoring an aft corner wrap around balcony on Vision last year... why it came available about 7 weeks from sailing I have no clue, but I switched my first ever JS to that cabin 8588. Unbelievable walking onto that balcony the first time... breakfasts sailing into port, sunsets, just an unreal experience.

Radiance, Xmas 2012 in Oz... Waking up Xmas morning, heading up to Windjammer for breakfast in 90 degree sunshine, watching Santa in the Centrum with a line-up of kids, and then relaxing at the pool with the various events... priceless! Plus I had already made a bunch of Australian friends so we were all hanging out and enjoying Xmas together, caroling in the packed Centrum the night before with staff and Xmas dinner in MDR that night.

Best memory... Radiance same cruise in Oz, I won the belly-flop competition (no I'm not 500 lbs!! Avg 200lbs, but I guess I know how to do it well and the big guys they had really failed). A special needs child (say about 12 yrs old) ran up to me to high five me and talk to me after the medals. The parents rushed up to pull him back as he was quite aggressive, likely normal. I was fine with it, talked to him for a minute. I put my medal on his neck for him to keep and that was it! Man was he happy camper! Parents took pictures, they were happy too. Every time I saw this kid, which was daily from then on pool deck he would run over for a high five. Pretty freakin' cool! I felt super good about that one, haven't forgotten it :):):)

My best cruise memory is getting my hubby to go on his first cruise with Grandeur of the Seas. I had been cruising through the years with friends, but could never quite convince DH to try it. He just wasn't all that into ships, the sea, crowds of people, etc. etc etc. Hubby had every excuse in the book, so with his blessings I'd always sail without him.

It wasn't until one of our very close friends planned a big birthday cruise, and he found out that some of his male buddies were going. Since he didn't want to be left out, he agreed to go...the rest is history...LOL! The look on his face when he boarded Grandeur was PRICELESS. I'll never forget it. It had to be the absolute most incredible cruise ever....and he can't wait to sail every year since then!

I've taken this from the blog I wrote on Freedom..... it will for ever be my most favourite memory.....

Intro

My BFF Patty is attending a wedding for some friends in Florida followed by a cruise… this cruise. Back in the middle of January, with the snow falling and temperatures below freezing, laid up with a slipped disc, so pretty miserable, I got a good price on an inside cabin on Deck 10. I decided to book the package through a TA as the more I looked into flights from the UK with transfers to Port Canaveral the more frustrated I got. I noticed the prices inching up and wanted to firm something up asap. I would get transfers and the first night in the Doubletree Hilton Orlando Airport included with RCCL at a price I could afford.

It has been extremely frustrating lurking on the roll call to see what people are up to and what arrangements are being made for excursions. Equally saying nothing to Patty (we speak daily online) or here on the boards when appropriate comments have been made and I haven’t assisted or responded as I’ve not wanted to give the game away. I’ve said nothing on Facebook or to friends who may say something publicly online if they knew, albeit inadvertently.

The day itself

We’re picked up in a large bus a bit early if anything and the ride to port was around 45 minutes. One very straight long road. The cases are taken off and then we are allowed to join the queue to check in. 1pm. One long queue into the building which turns into 2 long queues inside the building to get our bags scanned. Head upstairs and get checked in straight away. C&A status has its merits. I decide to head straight to the Royal Caribbean Online area to sort out my log ins. The elevator doors open on deck 8.

Patty. And Scott her husband. And Crystal, her daughter. Time stopped. What were the chances?! Their rooms aren’t on this floor…. They just happened to walk up a deck before deciding to take the lift. She looks at me. Freezes. I return the look…. Nowhere to hide. You had to be there. Two blubbering women in a lift full of strangers. We let the lift go and had a few moments of incredulity. I gave her the stuff I had prepared to be sent to her. A card with a picture of two men discussing a blog; a postcard of the British Union flag; some pink feathers.... and the front page of my edocs.....

We’ve done a load of catching up. And drinking. And eating.

During our last cruise on the Allure of the Seas this past July, I was fortunate enough to witness, on two different occasions, a beautiful light show in the sky. DH and I were sitting close to the windows in the Viking Crown Lounge, and watched the lightening, as we passed through several storms. The sky was beautiful. And, to top it off, I got to cross something off of my bucket list.

I think my favorite cruise memory is watching my wife's reactions on the first day. After our first 2 cruises, Voyager and Majesty, I became the official cruise planner and scheduler. My wife just likes to show up and have a good time. She has heard enough about Freedom and since it was similar to Voyager, she had some expectations, but when we went on Allure the first time, she really had no clue other than it was the world's biggest. I love watching her head spin around as we took the first day stroll around the ship. She wanted to go back again in 2013, which we did. I don't think she quit smiling either trip. The Beach pool on Allure is her happy place.

I guess my favorite memory is going to St Thomas on our 2013 Allure trip and scuba diving for the first time certified and seeing a sea turtle 60 ft under water.

Our first Mediteranean Cruise in October of 2010 was most memorable. We had booked a balcony stateroom. 10 days from set sail we had a call from RCI that we had been upgraded to an Owners Suite... It was incredible... The bathroom was bigger than some cabins it seemed.

Dennis & Sue

myticker.jpg

I have lots of great memories on board RC but I think the one that's really stayed with me was the first time I stepped on board the Oasis during the inaugural season. I had been following the construction closely and in that moment to finally be on board. I'll always treasure that.

I have many great memories. But one that stands out was going through the locks of the Panama Canal in the wee hours of the morning, and my DH hardly able to contain how thrilling it felt to him. He's an engineer, and loves all things mechanical/technical. He was so in awe of the brilliant and simple technology behind the Canal, and he was like a little kid trying to keep himself from jumping up and down. Love that memory.

This past June my wife and I went on a cruise for our anniversary, I wanted to surprise her so I booked a GS. The night before the cruise she looked at the paperwork and was a bit peeved at the price. The next day we opened the door to the GS and she looked into the bathroom and saw that granite countertop with two sinks and the tub and tiled walls and walked out with a big smile on her face and said " We are all Good " Great getaway it was.

I was on a Mediterranean cruise, sitting at the dressing table, getting ready for our port excursion. I'd been seeing nothing but ocean. I looked into the mirror again and this time saw in the reflection the Rock of Gibraltar. It was our first Mediterranean cruise and the amazing view was not lost on me. Somehow the mundane, everyday activity with the Rock as a backdrop was a huge WOW that I'll never forget.