So we didn't lose 5 pounds before our cruise

warmwinds

They've had it wrong all along:

People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows.

Anahad O’Connor, The New York Times | September 2, 2014 12:26 PM ET

They've had it wrong all along:

People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows.

Anahad O’Connor, The New York Times | September 2, 2014 12:26 PM ET

That's great at home but it would mean none of those wonderful croissants or pastries on the ship. :( ;)

That's great at home but it would mean none of those wonderful croissants or pastries on the ship. :( ;)

The Cafe is our 2nd favourite hangout and it's tough looking at the pastries in the afternoon.

In the "old" days I would go straight to the cova cafe when the croissants were still warm and take a couple to the elite breakfast. One year they provided cinnamon sticky buns every day in Michael's, I almost OD that year.

Order seafood. I was worried about gaining on our 15 night Century Hawaii cruise with 10 sea days. So I ordered fish most nights and was completely delighted with the presentation, flavor, variety...it was the most enjoyable dining I've ever had on a ship (30+ cruises.) Servicewas wonderful, too!

DH and I did a European river cruise in July. I put on a solid five pounds on the cruise, despite walking several miles a day. DH did not put on weight (it's not fair). I haven't been able to lose it, and we're cruising again on Reflection in November. Some of my clothes are already getting tight. I exercise several times a week. Any advice? Food and drink on cruises are so tempting!

Any advice? Food and drink on cruises are so tempting!

Lazarus long said: "Always give into temptation; it may not come your way again." But then again you have to live with the consequences.

I switched to vodka and grapefruit juice during the day instead of things like pina coladas to save a little bit.

But there's NO WAY I'm giving up the Molecular Bar in the evening! (Good thing for me that it's not near the pool !!) :p

Lazarus long said: "Always give into temptation; it may not come your way again." But then again you have to live with the consequences.

AHH the consequences...... WE have changed our cruise habits and now focus on enjoying food that is prepared for us without bothering with the simple things that we eat at home,,bread..potatoes, simple cookies, etc. When I take a dessert if it does rate 10 I only have a couple of bites.

We never over eat as it is not worth the discomfort and the energy drain. Now we have optimal energy every day to enjoy every port and every sea day.

As I sit here I am obsessing over all the lamb I will eat on our Nov. cruise!!!

Of course this saves calories for wine and we never come back feeling that we have missed something

Easy stay away from sugar, starches, grains and fruit... you can enjoy the rest without a problem. Also stick with straight liquor or red wine - again to avoid sugar. That is what I do. Works

This is true.

What I do- breakfast is no carbs- often just coffee with cream (not milk) and splenda, but will have bacon and/or eggs if I'm hungry.

Lunch is protein and vegetables, no bread, potatoes, rice, etc.

Dinner I eat whatever I want including wine and dessert, but not so much I feel stuffed.

Beverage package will add lots of calories if you aren't careful. I try not to drink calories, meaning a frozen drink is a special treat, not a daily occurrence. For cocktails I stick with wine, grey goose and club soda with a splash of grapefruit, captain and diet coke, and grey goose pear and sprite zero.

Of course always take the stairs (but honestly you can't out exercise daily overeating) and try to be as physically active as possible while having fun.

Finally, if you really want something have it. It's your vacation!

We really have to put a few things in perspective. Without having this become a downer, as I sat with my sister before she passed away, one of the last things she said was that she couldn't believe she spent her whole life dieting and now she'll never see Rome. Remember people, in the scheme of things, a little bit of what you want will do you no harm. I so appreciate the places I see, the things I do and when I have that occasional bit of something I shouldn't, especially on a cruise, I think of her.

Enjoy your travels everyone!

Couldn't have said it better myself.....

I can't do steps down anymore, steps up still okay, so I'll do that. Will also go to gym a few times on the TA I have booked. But I'll also enjoy whatever I want to on the ship and if I gain 5-10 well it will come off soon enough...or not...but I will NOT obsess anymore about weight...too little time left to care...being healthy physically & mentally is more important than being a size 7 or 5 or, god forbid, 0.

Edited by Gracie115