Leaving Saturday on Explorer - What should I know?

grovehill

Do you know how to get to Cape Liberty?

Be aware that there is construction. Even if you negotiate around the construction, some of the signs are sort of faded and/or buried in weeds. Be on your toes to watch for them.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Do you know how to get to Cape Liberty?

Be aware that there is construction. Even if you negotiate around the construction, some of the signs are sort of faded and/or buried in weeds. Be in your toes to watch for them.

Thanks for the heads up. Hubby has it in GPS and have printed directions. I'll find that ship if I have to use a machete to hack a path through the brush.

Thanks for the heads up. Hubby has it in GPS and have printed directions. I'll find that ship if I have to use a machete to hack a path through the brush.

Now that's funny!:D We just sailed on Explorer, and found the port to be very easy to find. One thing the GPS kinda got messed up with was getting through the toll it said stay left but the signs for the port said right. I think either was right to be honest though.

Now that's funny!:D We just sailed on Explorer, and found the port to be very easy to find. One thing the GPS kinda got messed up with was getting through the toll it said stay left but the signs for the port said right. I think either was right to be honest though.

Yes, that's a big WARNING WARNING WARNING.

GPS doesn't work to get you to Cape Liberty. LOL. :D

(the signs are THERE, and are accurate, but as I said, can be faded and/or hard to see)

Maybe the difference in ease of discovery is two adults. I had two teenagers the first time that I drove it. ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Be sure to bring along some Bonine (or the generic equivalent) to avoid sea-sickness. You take one tablet a day. You never know when you might run into rough seas.

When you get to Bermuda, head to the bus/ferry ticket counters to travel around the island.

We are on the same cruise and are driving down to Newark Friday afternoon. We stay in a local hotel overnight. I do not like risking a traffic problem on the morning the cruise boards.

Be sure to bring along some Bonine (or the generic equivalent) to avoid sea-sickness. You take one tablet a day. You never know when you might run into rough seas.

When you get to Bermuda, head to the bus/ferry ticket counters to travel around the island.

We are on the same cruise and are driving down to Newark Friday afternoon. We stay in a local hotel overnight. I do not like risking a traffic problem on the morning the cruise boards.

We are also driving in on Friday. If you are interested, there is a roll-call and we are planning a Meet & Greet. Sunday September 7 - 1:30pm

Crown & Kettle if you feel like meeting folks.

EOS is an interesting ship; I (we) have sailed on her out of Bayonne four times in the past 12 months and am booked again for September 25th. (I know where every public restroom is located!)

Here are my suggestions:

* Avoid the Windjammer buffet upon boarding – it’s over-crowded and unpleasant. Go to the promenade deck (level 5) and have a lite lunch of pizza/sandwiches instead.

* Have a drink at the Viking Lounge during departure. You’ll have a panoramic view of the pool deck, NYC skyline and ‘V’ bridge. (It’s also A/C’d.)

*Arrive EARLY for the Ice Show and theater productions for good/isle seats. Some seats have obstructed views. Be sure to bring a sweater to the Ice Show arena – it gets cool/cold.

* The festive promenade production on the overhead “bridge” is a must. Once again, arrive VERY early, and get a seat/table at one of the ‘out-door’ bars for a close-up view.

* Finally, ignore all the negative reviews.

Have a great trip!

Yes, that's a big WARNING WARNING WARNING.

GPS doesn't work to get you to Cape Liberty. LOL. :D

(the signs are THERE, and are accurate, but as I said, can be faded and/or hard to see)

Maybe the difference in ease of discovery is two adults. I had two teenagers the first time that I drove it. ;)

My GPS worked fantastic in getting us (back) to Cape Liberty the first time. It just kept muttering "recalculating......recalculating....." as I turned around in the WalMart parking lot with the port in my rear view mirror.;):eek:

Just. Turn. Left. On. Goldsborough!:):D

Sailing away on Explorer on Saturday. Pros and Cons, tips and secrets. What should I know?

Have a great cruise.Watch out for problems with GPS near the port.Also take care of the ship,we will be sailing on the Explorer for nine days 9/25/14. :)

Edited by caribbean sailor

Why do you recommend that over Deck 11 forward?

Thanks,

IC

Deck 11 is fine too. Just personal preference. You might find the helicopter pad less crowded on day 1 since many may not have discovered it yet.

Edited by clarea

We're sailing on 10/9. I've been looking for any information about water on board-does anyone know if there is a water fountain near the pool area-perhaps near the soda machine?? I'm not a soda drinker, and I travel with my own XL water jug. I know that I can always fill it up in our cabin, but it sure would be handy to have something poolside. Any help out there EOS folks? (EOS will be stopping in Portland, Maine on September 13. We are driving down to check it out! Can't wait)

We're sailing on 10/9. I've been looking for any information about water on board-does anyone know if there is a water fountain near the pool area-perhaps near the soda machine?? I'm not a soda drinker, and I travel with my own XL water jug. I know that I can always fill it up in our cabin, but it sure would be handy to have something poolside. Any help out there EOS folks? (EOS will be stopping in Portland, Maine on September 13. We are driving down to check it out! Can't wait)

If I remember correctly, there is one right next to the outside steps on deck 12. It is the set nearest the center (where the ice cream machine is).

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We're on the same sailing! Have you found our roll call? If not, come join us. We're a friendly group. I see you're from Maine; we lived there all our lives...up until this past March when we moved to Atlanta.

This will be our first time on Explorer so we'll be watching this thread for unique Explorer "must sees" too.