Cruise Arrival question

1stTimeCruiserAmy

We are sailing out of Port of Miami on Jan. 10 on the Glory at 4:00. Our flight is supposed to get in to FLL (which is 45 minutes away, correct?) at 12:50. I'm so nervous! Are we going to make it to the cruise on time (of course, barring any weather related/plane related issues - I did buy insurance for that!)?? I have booked SAS Transportation to and from the port.

Thanks!

We are sailing out of Port of Miami on Jan. 10 on the Glory at 4:00. Our flight is supposed to get in to FLL (which is 45 minutes away, correct?) at 12:50. I'm so nervous! Are we going to make it to the cruise on time (of course, barring any weather related/plane related issues - I did buy insurance for that!)?? I have booked SAS Transportation to and from the port.

Thanks!

I am not sure where you are flying from, but NE weather is unpredictable in January. IF you have a flight with a layover it may be pretty tight. If your flight is coming into FLL direct, there isn't really an issue in FL. You have to be onboard by 3:00, giving you an extra hour of fluff time. You should be fine.

Pray for great weather.

Are you already booked? If not I would try for earlier times if you can't fly the day before. I have read horrendous "January Stories" here on Cruise Critic. We are driving from Cincinnati to Miami for a Jan 25 cruise. We have lots of freedom to leave earlier than scheduled if there is bad weather. But I would never give myself such a short window. There will be many her that will tell you you'll be fine. But there will be just as many that will tell you to not risk it. There are so many variables that could backfire. Although I always have insurance I certainly don't want to use it.

Are you already booked? If not I would try for earlier times if you can't fly the day before. I have read horrendous "January Stories" here on Cruise Critic. We are driving from Cincinnati to Miami for a Jan 25 cruise. We have lots of freedom to leave earlier than scheduled if there is bad weather. But I would never give myself such a short window. There will be many her that will tell you you'll be fine. But there will be just as many that will tell you to not risk it. There are so many variables that could backfire. Although I always have insurance I certainly don't want to use it.

I can't agree more with this statement. I fly for work and I can't tell you how many times I've seen distressed cruise vacationers in tears because they missed a flight or were delayed by the airline for some reason. Just recently cruise travelers were delayed because they had to change a flat tire on the plane and they were going to miss their connecting flight.

We always fly to the port city a day early just for peace of mind. Oh, and I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal too. :rolleyes:

January? Illinois? Same day arrival? Less than 3 hours for ANY delays, issues, traffic, baggage? No way would I even consider it. Sorry, I do not mean to scare you but if you have any options of changing do so. :(

At least you have insurance. Myself, I would rather be on the cruise!

Thanks!

Check your insurance policy. Some insurance won't if you don't have at least 3-4 hour window.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

We've been fly the day before types since our first cruise, just gives us peace of mind...plus we feel we get our vacation started sooner, and embarkation day seems less hectic already being in the port city.

That said, last time we cruised out of Miami, we were booked on the Breeze leaving on a Saturday in May. Flew from Baltimore to FLL on Friday, arrived early afternoon with no issue to FLL airport, had booked transportation to a downtown Miami hotel with SAS who picked us up on time.On way to Miami, accident on 95..SAS drive took an "alternate root" accident on that route. Took over 90 minutes to get to hotel in Miami. No biggie day before...day of...no flippin way.

12:50 arrival to FLL from Illinois in January....too risky.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure that homeland security requires you to be on the ship at least 45 minutes before sailing. Winter weather, winter road conditions in Florida traffic wise, waiting for bags getting a ride getting to the port, checking in, I'd say there is a better than average chance you will not be on the ship when it sails.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile apps

Edited by jimbo5544

Oh mercy, I'm getting slightly queasy just thinking about that tight schedule. For your peace of mind, I would suggest going ahead and changing the flight to the day before and just getting a hotel near FLL. Then you can shuttle easily to POM the day of. If you are flying Southwest, remember they don't charge change fees! And you can get a good hotel deal on sites such as priceline or hotwire.

I don't want to scare you but I don't think anyone can tell you if you'll make it on time. There are too many things that can affect that and getting to the port at 4 is too late. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable, especially if you have a layover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy.... Thanks for the advice everyone! We are flying delta so it looks like I will probably suck it up and pay the $200 per ticket change fee. My TA thought we'd be ok but I am worried about the weather. The layover is in Atlanta so I'm not super concerned about weather there but still... Getting off the ground, the possible luggage issue.... Ugh. Looks like the day before it will be. Thank you all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh boy.... Thanks for the advice everyone! We are flying delta so it looks like I will probably suck it up and pay the $200 per ticket change fee. My TA thought we'd be ok but I am worried about the weather. The layover is in Atlanta so I'm not super concerned about weather there but still... Getting off the ground, the possible luggage issue.... Ugh. Looks like the day before it will be. Thank you all!

Good decision

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you are northern Ill. you're probably flying SW and on Sat. sometimes the schedule is limited so you probably can't get an earlier flight. If you haven't booked a flight I'd look into O'hare or going a day earlier. In Jan. you are taking a big chance. Remember a lot of flights don't orignate at your airport, so weather could be a problem.

We are in Springfield, so we are booked out of St. Louis. Which is better than Ohare for sure.... I've been stuck at Ohare for weather before (flying home to Springfield). But you're right. It's all about where the flight originates. That, I learned at Ohare!