Missing OBC - the Beast known as MIAMI ate my 50 bucks

We cruised on Navigator on 8/24/14 and had various OBCs totaling $225 on this cruise, including two(2) $50 OBCs bought with RC Visa points. We ended up with only $175 in OBC posted to our account as one of the RC Visa point OBCs never showed up.

The $100 from RC, obtained by booking this cruise aboard a previous one, showed up on Day 2. Also a $25 OBC from our travel agent posted on Day 2. But only ONE of the $50 OBCs we 'bought' with Visa points posted. I waited until the next morning (Day 3) to see if the missing $50 OBC might show up, but it didn't. So off to Guest Services I went, with the papers documenting all of the OBCs we were expecting in my hand.

Camilla at GS looked at all my documentation, which included a confirmation of the purchase of two $50 OBCs with 10,000 Visa points, and saw the problem. She apologized for the error, but she explained that all OBCs come from MIAMI and there was nothing she could do onboard to correct the problem. So she emailed MIAMI and asked them to make the correction while I stood there at GS. She told me she would call me as soon as she had an answer.

Fast forward to day 5…the message light on the phone was blinking when we returned to our cabin that night. Camilla had left a voice mail saying she had emailed back and forth with MIAMI 3 times and MIAMI would not budge. Their response was that the guest had already received all the OBC due. She promised to keep trying. So, despite the late hour, off we went to GS, papers in hand. Leonardo looked at all the documents, scanned the one showing the two RC Visa OBCs, and emailed MIAMI again with the scan attached. He said he would communicate with Camilla and one of them would be in touch.

Evening of Day 6…I am like a dog chasing a bone. I am determined not to give up, so off I go to GS again since I hadn't heard back from Leonardo. This time I speak to Andrei. Andrei told me that quite a file was building on my issue and he could see all the emails on the computer. He saw that Frederico had also emailed MIAMI and there was a response waiting in his inbox, but Frederico would not be on duty until 11:30. So we returned at 11:30.

Frederico had done it! MIAMI finally admitted they had made a mistake. The bad news was that MIAMI declared it was now too late in the cruise to post an OBC. However, MIAMI would process a $50 refund to our credit card on file for our account after the cruise. I asked what recourse I had if this refund didn't happen, and I was told I'd have to contact RC Customer Services in Miami. All the Navigator Guest Services people I had dealt with were wringing their hands and pulling out their own hair by this time. Andrei assured me he would personally follow up to be sure this refund would happen. He apologized some more, and I thanked him, but I told him I really wanted the apology to come from MIAMI, the source of the error. We disembarked on 8/31/14, and came home.

We got our email survey on Sept 1 and filled it out. We told of the OBC problem on the survey.

I checked the credit card account on Sept 3, but no $50 refund was posted or pending. Then on Sept 4, I got an email from Erick Weidmann, Corporate Guest Relations Advocate. His return address was web_cruise_comments@rccl.com. He apologized for the problem and said he had started the process for the $50 refund. This morning (Sept 6) I checked the credit card, and there it was!! The $50 refund has posted.

So here are the lessons to be learned from this situation:

1. There is a nameless faceless Beast known only to us as MIAMI. This Beast makes mistakes (like it can't discriminate the numeral 2 from the numeral 1) but doesn't like to admit them, even when presented with proof. You must wear down the Beast with many contacts to get the problem resolved, so be persistent. The Beast is as unresponsive to Guest Services staff as it is to customers, and it likes to stonewall for awhile.

2. Print your confirmation of any kind of OBC you expect and take the hard copies with you. Paper is your friend.

3. Remember that Guest Services staff are as frustrated as you are if your OBC is missing, and evidently they don't have the tools in their toolbox to fix it. Don't take your frustration out on them as they are trying to fight the Beast for you.

4. Tell about your problem in the email survey after your cruise. Possibly THIS is what solved my problem, despite all the GS staff emails to the Beast. (I infer this from the return email address of the Corporate Guest Relations guy.)

This post is far too long, so I'll stop now. I will say that it was a helluva lot of work for 50 bucks, but I guess you could say we triumphed over the Beast in the end. That's priceless, right? :rolleyes:

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

We cruised on Navigator on 8/24/14 and had various OBCs totaling $225 on this cruise, including two(2) $50 OBCs bought with RC Visa points. We ended up with only $175 in OBC posted to our account as one of the RC Visa point OBCs never showed up.

The $100 from RC, obtained by booking this cruise aboard a previous one, showed up on Day 2. Also a $25 OBC from our travel agent posted on Day 2. But only ONE of the $50 OBCs we 'bought' with Visa points posted. I waited until the next morning (Day 3) to see if the missing $50 OBC might show up, but it didn't. So off to Guest Services I went, with the papers documenting all of the OBCs we were expecting in my hand.

Camilla at GS looked at all my documentation, which included a confirmation of the purchase of two $50 OBCs with 10,000 Visa points, and saw the problem. She apologized for the error, but she explained that all OBCs come from MIAMI and there was nothing she could do onboard to correct the problem. So she emailed MIAMI and asked them to make the correction while I stood there at GS. She told me she would call me as soon as she had an answer.

Fast forward to day 5…the message light on the phone was blinking when we returned to our cabin that night. Camilla had left a voice mail saying she had emailed back and forth with MIAMI 3 times and MIAMI would not budge. Their response was that the guest had already received all the OBC due. She promised to keep trying. So, despite the late hour, off we went to GS, papers in hand. Leonardo looked at all the documents, scanned the one showing the two RC Visa OBCs, and emailed MIAMI again with the scan attached. He said he would communicate with Camilla and one of them would be in touch.

Evening of Day 6…I am like a dog chasing a bone. I am determined not to give up, so off I go to GS again since I hadn't heard back from Leonardo. This time I speak to Andrei. Andrei told me that quite a file was building on my issue and he could see all the emails on the computer. He saw that Frederico had also emailed MIAMI and there was a response waiting in his inbox, but Frederico would not be on duty until 11:30. So we returned at 11:30.

Frederico had done it! MIAMI finally admitted they had made a mistake. The bad news was that MIAMI declared it was now too late in the cruise to post an OBC. However, MIAMI would process a $50 refund to our credit card on file for our account after the cruise. I asked what recourse I had if this refund didn't happen, and I was told I'd have to contact RC Customer Services in Miami. All the Navigator Guest Services people I had dealt with were wringing their hands and pulling out their own hair by this time. Andrei assured me he would personally follow up to be sure this refund would happen. He apologized some more, and I thanked him, but I told him I really wanted the apology to come from MIAMI, the source of the error. We disembarked on 8/31/14, and came home.

We got our email survey on Sept 1 and filled it out. We told of the OBC problem on the survey.

I checked the credit card account on Sept 3, but no $50 refund was posted or pending. Then on Sept 4, I got an email from Erick Weidmann, Corporate Guest Relations Advocate. His return address was web_cruise_comments@rccl.com. He apologized for the problem and said he had started the process for the $50 refund. This morning (Sept 7) I checked the credit card, and there it was!! The $50 refund has posted.

So here are the lessons to be learned from this situation:

1. There is a nameless faceless Beast known only to us as MIAMI. This Beast makes mistakes (like it can't discriminate the numeral 2 from the numeral 1) but doesn't like to admit them, even when presented with proof. You must wear down the Beast with many contacts to get the problem resolved, so be persistent. The Beast is as unresponsive to Guest Services staff as it is to customers, and it likes to stonewall for awhile.

2. Print your confirmation of any kind of OBC you expect and take the hard copies with you. Paper is your friend.

3. Remember that Guest Services staff are as frustrated as you are if your OBC is missing, and evidently they don't have the tools in their toolbox to fix it. Don't take your frustration out on them as they are trying to fight the Beast for you.

4. Tell about your problem in the email survey after your cruise. Possibly THIS is what solved my problem, despite all the GS staff emails to the Beast. (I infer this from the return email address of the Corporate Guest Relations guy.)

This post is far too long, so I'll stop now. I will say that it was a helluva lot of work for 50 bucks, but I guess you could say we triumphed over the Beast in the end. That's priceless, right? :rolleyes:

Judy

Glad you got your money back. I am expecting a future cruise certificate. I hope my certificate comes. I do have the letter promising it. Hope this letter helps if I never get it.

Judy, I loathe that you had to go through this, but I love your post!!!!

:)

You are SO right about summary point #1. I have had this very experience (not Visa-based) myself. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, I am immersed in one right now. I hope that mine has an earlier successful conclusion than yours!!!!! :eek:

Glad you got your money back. I am expecting a future cruise certificate. I hope my certificate comes. I do have the letter promising it. Hope this letter helps if I never get it.

Remember, paper is your friend! Keep that letter handy and use it if you need to. Hope you get your certificate soon, but I do think the certificates take a little while - like 30 days or so - to be processed. (The Beast moves slooooooowly…)

Judy, I loathe that you had to go through this, but I love your post!!!!

:)

You are SO right about summary point #1. I have had this very experience (not Visa-based) myself. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, I am immersed in one right now. I hope that mine has an earlier successful conclusion than yours!!!!! :eek:

Carol, I know if anyone can vanquish the Beast, it's YOU!:D:D Best of luck with your problem, and come back and tell your tale when it's done.:)

Judy

This same thing happened to us on our recent Rhapsody b2b with missing OBC from Visa points. I went to GS, but after a few minutes of explaining my situation I just knew I wasn't getting my point across.

So, I went to see the LA on board and she was able to pull up our booking where it showed the date and when the points were redeemed. She emailed C&A and it appeared on our SeaPass account within a day.

When I first opened this thread I was almost not going to read it as it seemed like way too much writing about a $50.00 OBC. But I actually found it fascinating and I'm glad I read it. I used to travel with all kinds of paperwork with me but had started cutting back. But now I won't be cruising without all the documents I think I could need in my backpack.

Thanks OP.

Thanks for the head's up!

To ensure that OBC's and on board charges are current, I'm usually at guest services @ 6:00 AM every morning getting the latest print-out of our account.

I really not that anal, but dealing with RCCL is an animal of a different color.

Still looking for my stockholder credit for an upcoming October cruise. :cool:

Edited by biomedbob

This same thing happened to us on our recent Rhapsody b2b with missing OBC from Visa points. I went to GS, but after a few minutes of explaining my situation I just knew I wasn't getting my point across.

So, I went to see the LA on board and she was able to pull up our booking where it showed the date and when the points were redeemed. She emailed C&A and it appeared on our SeaPass account within a day.

Good tip

I had something similar happen on our very first cruise. It was our honeymoon and we had about $800 in RCCL gift certificates. We tried numerous times to redeem the gift certificates before the cruise (they have to be redeemed at LEAST 10 days before the start of the cruise) and every time we called to make sure that they were applied to our account they person answering said it hadn't been done right and they would take care of it. After numerous attempts I asked for email confirmation that the gift certificates were redeemed. Thankfully I was smart enough to print those emails off and bring them along on the cruise.

I waited until day 3 of the cruise to go to guest relations because I was told they wouldn't show up until a few days in to the cruise. Guest relations said there is no record of an OBC due because I hadn't redeemed them before the cruise. I informed them I had the emails to prove it and I would be back in a minute. I returned to the cabin found the emails that I had printed and headed back down to guest relations. Like you I was told they would have to contact Miami to get it straightened out. Miami was able to see in my account that I had indeed tried multiple times to get them applied to my account and they would take care of it.

Luckily for me I didn't have to jump through as many hoops as you did. My OBC was on my account the next morning. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end. I now make sure I take any documentation regarding our cruise along with me in a folder. I never had a problem after that cruise but I will still continue to bring the proof for everything. You never know when you might need it!

Judy, yours is one of the best posts I've ever seen on Cruise Critic. You described a serious problem which affects many cruisers, accurately and without ever wasting time on name-calling or hostility. You were perfectly objective: "This happened, then that happened, etc." You were perfectly clear on the sequence so that we could all follow the story. I disagree about your post being too long; to me, it was just right, concise but complete.

Finally, and best of all, you concluded with lessons that can help us all. I'm glad your story had a (more or less) happy ending. You deserve nothing less!

Always remember RCI has the worst IT dept. millions of dollars can hire!

Agreed. Also, no one should have to deal with this *%#@* while they are on vacation. It takes away from the fun and I think if RC can't get their act together them they should offer additional OBC just for putting the person thru this. I would like to know how upper management would feel if this happened to them?!!!

Judy, yours is one of the best posts I've ever seen on Cruise Critic. You described a serious problem which affects many cruisers, accurately and without ever wasting time on name-calling or hostility. You were perfectly objective: "This happened, then that happened, etc." You were perfectly clear on the sequence so that we could all follow the story. I disagree about your post being too long; to me, it was just right, concise but complete.

Finally, and best of all, you concluded with lessons that can help us all. I'm glad your story had a (more or less) happy ending. You deserve nothing less!

I said it initially SEEMED that way BEFORE I read it.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Also, no one should have to deal with this *%#@* while they are on vacation. It takes away from the fun and I think if RC can't get their act together them they should offer additional OBC just for putting the person thru this. I would like to know how upper management would feel if this happened to them?!!!

I completely agree with you. RCI would have more incentive to knock off the ridiculous mistakes if those mistakes actually cost them something. The very same thing is true for people who have to go claim their luggage down in the "naughty room" who turn out to have nothing of interest in the bags. Everyone pays to be on the ship and if RCI is going to disrupt people's vacation for stuff like this then they should compensate that lost time and aggrevation.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I am glad you slayed the beast but it sounds like you had to spend a good deal of time at GS.

The time at GS really wasn't that bad since mostly I went late at night when there was no line. The first chat with Camilla took the longest! But all the GS staff were so nice and so committed to helping. I was impressed that they had obviously discussed 'my case' with each other. Toward the end of the week a couple of them looked up, saw me passing by or coming to GS, and looked like they might burst into tears as I approached..:eek:

And I don't think I have truly slain the Beast, but I might have tamed it just a little.:p This Beast seems to have a whole lot of appendages, some with more communication with the head than others, but finding the head is a challenge.

Seems like the Beast could empower the GS staff to solve some of the problems it causes. I mean…really…50 bucks?:rolleyes:

Hey, thanks JudyM!! Actually, I'm the one who thought the post was too long. (You're off the hook, Ocean Boy - I got what you said.)

I tried to edit it down, but I felt compelled to tell the whole story.

(Encounters with the Beast will do that to you, I think. You tend to want to share all the details of the battle.)

As for extra OBC to compensate for my trouble with this situation, really I only wanted what was fair and right - the missing $50 OBC that I had prearranged. In the end I did get that, kind of, although it was after the fact. Ironically, Royal could have screwed themselves here since that $50 could have been spent onboard. (Had I spent it onboard for drinks, specialty restaurant, a bottle of wine, stuff from the shops, etc., it probably would have actually only cost them 10 bucks instead of 50 bucks - joke's on you, Beast!)

So I don't seek any extra compensation, however… I will admit to having this somewhat larcenous thought: So what if Mr. Corporate Guest Relations credited my credit card after reading about my problem in the post-cruise email survey? So what if one of my GS heroes like Camilla, or Leonardo, or Frederico, or Andrei follows up with a totally different appendage of the Beast? So what if I get a second $50 credit on my credit card due to different appendages of the Beast not knowing what each other is doing? Just saying'…it could happen, you know?

Holy Beast Droppings, Batman, then I would truly have an ethical dilemma! To keep the extra 50 bucks and say nothing? Or to call up yet another appendage of the Beast and endure some phone hold time to try to explain that I was overcompensated?

Okay, so I think all of us here know how I will undoubtedly respond if that ethical dilemma presents itself.;) I most likely would not voluntarily try to contact the Beast. I would accept the hypothetical and potential second credit with dignity, celebrate my good luck (and lack of time on phone hold), and drink a toast to the Beast and it's vast array of appendages.

Then I will atone for my ethical transgression with extra tips on my next RC cruise.:) Hope that's okay with you guys!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Guest maddycat

Exactly! How would an RCI executive feel if this very same thing happened to them? It must have been very frustrating. Not an enjoyable way to spend vacation time.

OP, I'm glad that you persevered and let us know of your experience. After reading many posts on cc about missing OBC and onboard charges for items that have already been paid for, I know to bring copies of all invoices with me on a cruise.

Patti, thanks for the tip about contacting the onboard LA.

Edited by maddycat

Guest maddycat
I completely agree with you. RCI would have more incentive to knock off the ridiculous mistakes if those mistakes actually cost them something. The very same thing is true for people who have to go claim their luggage down in the "naughty room" who turn out to have nothing of interest in the bags. Everyone pays to be on the ship and if RCI is going to disrupt people's vacation for stuff like this then they should compensate that lost time and aggrevation.

And definitely deliver their luggage to their cabin instead of expecting the passenger to take their own luggage.