Continued price drops after final payment date

Vineyard View

This year I booked 6 months out, last year I think it was 10 months out. The price of our cabin just went up $100 today. I'm guessing the price might drop after the Explore4 promo is done and then we will see if any price drops are to our advantage.

And I'm sorry if you thought I meant everyone should be happy with crappy pricing. I just think that if the price makes one upset, one shouldn't bother booking that cruise. I don't think it's worth the emotional energy as there are lots of other ways to enjoy a vacation that might not cost as much.

Those of us who can book early, would love to see a pricing strategy that slowly raised prices as the cruise date got closer. And with a guarantee that there would be no price drops. However, there are also no guarantees for the cruiselines that they will be able to sell out every cruise, so voila, prices drop.

I will say that I try to get the lowest price possible. Sometimes it means booking a cabin, then moving up to a higher category guarantee, then to another category.... I definitely watch prices, but am not upset if they don't drop.

I've tried comparing pricing on other cruiselines, but I think because we just book a cookie cutter, Caribbean cruise HAL seems to give us the best price. Maybe someday we'll book with a different line. I'll never say never....

I don't want to book a cruise at a price I don't like. That is why I'm not booking with HAL for spring. That said, if no price is good I'm not going to sit in knee deep snow without a break from my stressful job. I'm not suggesting that the cruise lines never lower their prices. Price lowering is going happen. I have a cruise booked for November 2014 that started out well over $4K (single supp). No way was I paying that. About 6 months before it dropped to around $3100. That's an acceptable price to me. The same thing happened in 2012. I believe by the time I left the price was down to $2200. I'm looking at the same cruise again for March 2015, and guess what? Hal has it priced at around $4400. Why keep doing the same thing and having to take the same action. Why not price that cruise from the beginning at $3100 and lets stop playing this game. If the March 2015 cruise was that price ($3100) I would book today.

If every cruise experienced significant price drops after final payment date, I might join the chorus of those who say HAL has a "crappy" pricing model. The fact is, every cruise does not have significant drops - some have price increases.

When I book a cruise it is because I want particular accommodations on a particular itinerary - and at the time I make the decision, the price seems right. Having it set has value to me - so I do not see that I am hurt in any way if someone gets a better deal. If I saw significant price drops as a regular thing, then I would play the game and only book a short time prior to sailing --- of course, I might not be able to find what I want, and I might pay enough more for related things: air fare, hotel, etc. to offset fare savings.

Anyone buying a commodity with a fixed shelf life, like a cruise cabin- which, if unsold, has zero value to the line once the ship sails - has to know that last minute price cuts are possible - or even likely - but how does that cost the early bird anything?

At the end of the day - I have to acknowledge that someone getting a better price than what I agreed upon does not hurt me in any way - as long as I do not let myself get tied in knots with envy.

I'm sorry some will never get it. I'm tired of explaining.

I understand your predicament and frustration!

If I had to book a long way out as you do, I think I would seriously consider booking the cruise with the best pricing at that time.

Keeping an eye on the HAL cruise I wanted, if it decreased before final, I would cancel the first cruise and book the HAL one.

Not the best solution, of course, but it might get you on your preferred line more!

If every cruise experienced significant price drops after final payment date, I might join the chorus of those who say HAL has a "crappy" pricing model. The fact is, every cruise does not have significant drops - some have price increases.

When I book a cruise it is because I want particular accommodations on a particular itinerary - and at the time I make the decision, the price seems right. Having it set has value to me - so I do not see that I am hurt in any way if someone gets a better deal. ........................

At the end of the day - I have to acknowledge that someone getting a better price than what I agreed upon does not hurt me in any way - as long as I do not let myself get tied in knots with envy.

I agree with what you're saying navybankerteacher. And frankly, when I looked back to what we've paid for cruises over the years - the overall cost of a cruise has changed very little despite the cost of many other items we all purchace including air travel. Cruise ship price changes are nothing compared with what the airline industry does - and then gouges passengers for bringing a suitcase.:rolleyes: and in some cases even getting a seat.

We booked our Nov cruise in April. At one point the price came down a whopping $20pp and that was what we paid - then the price went up and has stayed up $300 pp for the mid-level verandah cabins.

We don't have money to waste but when we send the final payment it's because it's the itinerary we want, in the cabin we want, on the date we want. We take time to research and attempt to book the best deal at the time. Should a good price drop occur I'd have our TA contact HAL for possible OBC for the difference.

It's a matter of supply and demand--if there is no demand, there are going to be price drops to increase the number of passengers on the ship.

The reason we got such a great upsell, is the concerns about being prohibited from visiting St. Petersburg due to the issues in Ukraine. I assume many people cancelled their cruise before final payment.

Some cruises, like our next one, South America, book up early and the price only goes up--I have tracked these for several years before booking this one.

I see this posted often. That's great if you are happy with the price you paid. I'm guessing no one should ever say a word if they are not:rolleyes:. Why even take the price drops since you are so delighted with the price? I have tight deadlines at work and most time I have to take whatever because it fits into my timeline. I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing. I'm sure many other folks are in that position. I really wish posters would understand that not everyone who posts on here is retired. To me posts like this (you are not the only one) are sort of a slam that everyone should be delighted with whatever gets served up. I just wish HAL would give a better price to people that commit earlier. Can any cruise line afford to make enemies?

I'm sitting here trying to figure what made you so defensive. Nobody was slamming your opinion - they were merely stating their own rational for reserving at the fare they do.

I assume you do realize that to be retired most of us spent years working to get to that point and most of us went through the difficulties you do now trying to plan vacation time. The poster never boasted they were delighted to book a price higher than you might - only that it was a price they were willing to pay for the product they're getting.

I sort of see the pricing as a supply and demand kind of game. The fact that when they do sail they sail with as many cabins filled as possible - in the big scheme of things- keeps overall fares down. We've sailed HAL, RCCL, CCL and Cunard and they ALL play the price game to fill their cabins.

I understand your predicament and frustration!

If I had to book a long way out as you do, I think I would seriously consider booking the cruise with the best pricing at that time.

Keeping an eye on the HAL cruise I wanted, if it decreased before final, I would cancel the first cruise and book the HAL one.

Not the best solution, of course, but it might get you on your preferred line more!

I'm willing to wait this one out. I'm looking at Princess for April. I'd book it now but I need cancel for any reason insurance and you need to get it when you book with princess. There are plenty of flights going to LA from calgary so I can play the waiting game.

When I was young, which was a long, long, time ago, almost all prices were set. They were also high, partly because there seemed to be less competition then. All one had to do was decide whether or not one was willing to pay the set price.

It seems now that most vendors, including local ones, have developed various and sundry ways to entice buyers who are price sensitive with lower prices at the cost of greater inconvenience; coupons, multiple stops, etc., so they can maintain the original prices for those who are not price sensitive. Deciding whether one is or isn't price sensitive enough to endure the inconvenience is relatively easy; some of us are cheaper than others and although we may vary our approach a bit depending on the context, we generally conform to type.

Occasionally, one of us will get caught in an unfamiliar market where we assume that the price is set and we pay it, only to discover that others have bargained for a better deal.

Maybe a few of us are fortunate enough to know how to benefit from the lower prices while still avoiding the inconveniences; I am not one of them.

Some cruise passengers are more likely than others to be enthusiastic about this relatively new marketing environment. Those with more time than money and considerable flexibility, most retirees for example, are likely to welcome it since, by closely following price changes, they can often get lower fares than ever before. Those with less time and flexibility, but more money, are not likely to be enthusiastic about it at all, since, however fair the price they pay, it will often be more than that paid by those with the time and incentive to spend more time shopping for the right deal.

Despite the increasing complexity of booking a cruise at a satisfactory price, it seems to me to be much simpler than booking an international fight at a satisfactory price in order to get to the cruise.

I'm willing to wait this one out. I'm looking at Princess for April. I'd book it now but I need cancel for any reason insurance and you need to get it when you book with princess. There are plenty of flights going to LA from calgary so I can play the waiting game.

I'm glad to hear this, because I hope you get the HAL cruise! Giving it a try this way will give you an idea of what you can do.

Didn't know how Princess does cancellation, so that is too bad. If it isn't one thing in the way, it is another!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yield management pricing models have been successful at increasing revenues, but have also been successful at alienating customers. Many passengers feel that that are being treated unfairly due to factors beyond their control.

The increased revenues also come at high costs for a cruise line like HAL, who have spent the past several years imposing wide ranging cost cuts that have diluted its brand image and has moved HAL away from its former pedigree. In another thread on ship shops, the statement "The Walmart crowd is now cruising" was noted. Discounted bargains rule.

Any company that focuses on revenue only at the expense of everything else may find itself with short term gain and long term pain. This is where I fear HAL finds itself. Remember, yield management pricing was created by the airline industry, an industry that finds itself in a perpetual cycle of boom, bust and bankruptcy.

Waiting may be the wisest move. HAL has planned 9 ships for the Caribbean this season, with departures up to 126 from 109 last year. I suspect that this will be another season of deep discounting for HAL.

Yield management pricing models have been successful at increasing revenues, but have also been successful at alienating customers. Many passengers feel that that are being treated unfairly due to factors beyond their control.

The increased revenues also come at high costs for a cruise line like HAL, who have spent the past several years imposing wide ranging cost cuts that have diluted its brand image and has moved HAL away from its former pedigree. In another thread on ship shops, the statement "The Walmart crowd is now cruising" was noted. Discounted bargains rule.

Any company that focuses on revenue only at the expense of everything else may find itself with short term gain and long term pain. This is where I fear HAL finds itself. Remember, yield management pricing was created by the airline industry, an industry that finds itself in a perpetual cycle of boom, bust and bankruptcy.

CB for the most part I agree with what your saying. But my fear is that HA does not reward loyal patronage as evidenced by the many threads concerning Mariner Status. It appears (to me) HA is more concerned with the new cruisers or the younger passenger to increase their revenue stream. My thought is in the short term it may be good but in the long term their loyal customer base (Mariners) are going to be looking elsewhere for their cruises. I would equate this to the airline industry also. I use to have loyalty to one particular airline now I log into one of the major internet sites to conduct a search for available flights and end of most of the time taking the cheapest one. This is what I foresee in the future happening to HA. Loyal customers leaving and going bargain hunting for similar cruise lines and itineries.

bob

CB for the most part I agree with what your saying. But my fear is that HA does not reward loyal patronage as evidenced by the many threads concerning Mariner Status. It appears (to me) HA is more concerned with the new cruisers or the younger passenger to increase their revenue stream. My thought is in the short term it may be good but in the long term their loyal customer base (Mariners) are going to be looking elsewhere for their cruises. I would equate this to the airline industry also. I use to have loyalty to one particular airline now I log into one of the major internet sites to conduct a search for available flights and end of most of the time taking the cheapest one. This is what I foresee in the future happening to HA. Loyal customers leaving and going bargain hunting for similar cruise lines and itineries.

bob

I agree. The Mariner status you mentioned is a perfect example of customer alienation. There have been numerous examples on this forum of passengers with Mariner status being offered higher prices than new passengers. This action completely opposes the thought that companies should value loyalty. A loyal customer should not have to pay more, but he or she does. (The telecommunications companies here in Canada are notorious for this unsavory practice). Imagine your local grocery store charging you more because you shop there every week?

Another example could be the cruise line drawing an arbitrary circle on a map and offering lower prices to those only within this circle. Those living even one mile outside this circle cannot receive the price. We know that this is a common practice for those living in home ports, for example.

Even the practice that those who book early pay more flies in the face of logic. When a cruise line first offers a ship for sale, supply is at its highest as the entire ship is most likely empty. This "should" put downward pressure on prices. But this is not usually the case with HAL. Those who must book early often pay a lot more. The most frustrating aspect of this is that those who book early are not really receiving anything tangible for doing so - other than a reservation that HAL reserves the right to change and cancel. This is completely different than say, those early adopters of technology that recently lined up to get the new iPhone 6. These people are not waiting in line to pay more to get the new phone the same time as everyone else.

There are many people who are okay with HAL's pricing strategy, as for them, it works. But for those who are not okay with it, consistent themes of feeling less than quickly start to emerge, prompting many passengers to look elsewhere. A company that demonstrates that it doesn't value my business doesn't deserve it.

There have been numerous examples on this forum of passengers with Mariner status being offered higher prices than new passengers. This action completely opposes the thought that companies should value loyalty. A loyal customer should not have to pay more, but he or she does.
Morally, of course, we can all see the argument that loyalty should be rewarded. And in some circumstances, rewarding loyalty is a way of ensuring that customers continue to put business your way instead of going to a competitor - airline frequent flyer schemes are actually relatively good at doing this.

But in strict commercial logic, surely the practice of offering discounts to newer/less loyal customers makes sense if some other customers demonstrably stick with a company come what may out of a sense of "loyalty"? The company's job is to try to extract as much money from each customer as they are prepared to pay for the product. If a particular customer demonstrates "loyalty" to the company in the form of being prepared to pay more for the product, isn't it the company's job to take that money off the customer, and to reserve discounts or lower prices for those who must be offered them to persuade them to buy?

Even the practice that those who book early pay more flies in the face of logic. When a cruise line first offers a ship for sale, supply is at its highest as the entire ship is most likely empty. This "should" put downward pressure on prices. But this is not usually the case with HAL. Those who must book early often pay a lot more. The most frustrating aspect of this is that those who book early are not really receiving anything tangible for doing so - other than a reservation that HAL reserves the right to change and cancel.
Why is anyone in a position in which they "must book early", if the price is then too high and will come down later? I can see why some people have personal circumstances that mean that they need to make time commitments and plan around taking a particular cruise. But the making of those plans doesn't necessarily mean that the cruise must be booked now, if it can be booked later a lower price.

The main exception is if the cruise is likely to sell out if the customer waits rather than books now. But in such a case, the supply/demand equation is different from that which you've described. A sub-set of this is a customer who needs a specific cabin (or cabin type) which is in short supply - but again, that's a case of having to book early and pay the high price because of high demand for and low supply of that specific cabin (or cabin type).

In the US market, of course, many can book early even if it's at a high price, with a relatively low risk because of the ability to claim a later lower price if there are subsequent price reductions.

Of course "loyalty" is a somewhat mis-used term. Cruise lines make certain efforts to make previous cruisers want to return - but their "loyalty" must really run to their shareholders - to whom they owe the obligation to maximize profits: which means getting the highest revenues possible - even if that means making previous cruisers who book early pay more than new cruisers who book late. They do not really care who pays more - they will adjust the fares as they believe will maximize earnings ---- and this sometimes will mean that those late-booking newcomers will pay more if fares go up because cabins are selling better than anticipated.

Finally, real "loyalty" should be seen as running two ways: how many previous passengers will continue to book on one line because of " loyalty" - if they can get a better deal (itinerary/accommodations/date/fare) on any other line?

Loyalty is rewarded through the Mariner program on HAL.

HAL does not throw a lot at repeat cruisers until they hit 200 Points, or better yet, 500 Points.

As to pricing cruises, you see a lot of variation, sometimes where all but the newbies get deals; sometimes certain levels of Mariners.

This is all part of the yield management scheme and as a consumer you have the choice to stay or go.

Loyalty is rewarded through the Mariner program on HAL.

HAL does not throw a lot at repeat cruisers until they hit 200 Points, or better yet, 500 Points.

As to pricing cruises, you see a lot of variation, sometimes where all but the newbies get deals; sometimes certain levels of Mariners.

This is all part of the yield management scheme and as a consumer you have the choice to stay or go.

I do not think that you are saying that there are different fares charged on the same date for return cruisers vs. returning cruisers, rather just pointing out that there are some "freebies" given to returning cruisers - depending upon their history.

A number of the posts on this thread seem to express the view that new cruisers are somehow treated better than returning cruisers - which I find strange.

Sure, HAL may have less generous freebies than other lines - but I do not believe that there is ANY differentiation of fares (either way) paid for comparable accommodations booked on the same day.

I do not think that you are saying that there are different fares charged on the same date for return cruisers vs. returning cruisers, rather just pointing out that there are some "freebies" given to returning cruisers - depending upon their history.

A number of the posts on this thread seem to express the view that new cruisers are somehow treated better than returning cruisers - which I find strange.

Sure, HAL may have less generous freebies than other lines - but I do not believe that there is ANY differentiation of fares (either way) paid for comparable accommodations booked on the same day.

My DH was a 2 star Mariner, and he got offers that I did not, as a 3 star. So yes, there can be different pricing/offers depending on star level. The proof was when I would sign in with his Mariner # and the prices would be lower. Not on every cruise, but on some that were being promoted.

Of course "loyalty" is a somewhat mis-used term. Cruise lines make certain efforts to make previous cruisers want to return - but their "loyalty" must really run to their shareholders - to whom they owe the obligation to maximize profits: which means getting the highest revenues possible - even if that means making previous cruisers who book early pay more than new cruisers who book late. They do not really care who pays more - they will adjust the fares as they believe will maximize earnings ---- and this sometimes will mean that those late-booking newcomers will pay more if fares go up because cabins are selling better than anticipated.

Finally, real "loyalty" should be seen as running two ways: how many previous passengers will continue to book on one line because of " loyalty" - if they can get a better deal (itinerary/accommodations/date/fare) on any other line?

Totally disagree with you! You definition of "loyalty" sounds like a page from a greedy corporate America where the almighty buck trumps the true meaning of "loyalty". Truely your version is all about the money.

bob

I can not believe that a guy with 9 cruises on HA can make a statement like this. This has been the subject of many a thread here on CC by many people. I can tell you first hand that it is true.

bob

My DH was a 2 star Mariner, and he got offers that I did not, as a 3 star. So yes, there can be different pricing/offers depending on star level. The proof was when I would sign in with his Mariner # and the prices would be lower. Not on every cruise, but on some that were being promoted.

Yes and there have been many, many threads about it.

You would not be correct in your belief. Many times my DM (one*) in Florida got special pricing of several hundred dollars lower than mine (3*) if I put her Mariner # in a fake booking to check prices.

Most recently, when I booked our upcoming December cruise and put my Mariner # in a fake booking it got me about a $500pp better fare than not using my Mariner #. I was surprised as this had never happened before. My PCC confirmed the lower price when I booked. I actually joked with my DH that HAL was going to call any day and say my rate was a mistake for that cruise.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I don't know how widespread it is, but I have certainly experienced different fares being offered for the same cabin/same cruise when I looked at the HAL site before and after logging in.