Kleenex in Room?

2 Sister Sue 2

Makes you wonder why on earth they wouldn't put a little sign in the bathroom about it

Every HAL ship I've been on DOES have a little sign in the bathroom to the effect that nothing but toilet paper should be discarded in the toilet. Problem is too many folks don't read or disregard.

Makes you wonder why on earth they wouldn't put a little sign in the bathroom about it

Every HAL ship I've been on DOES have a little sign in the bathroom to the effect that nothing but toilet paper should be discarded in the toilet. Problem is too many folks don't read or disregard.

I think they interpret it as other items, and think that tissues are safe. I was only aware myself that it is a no-no because of having years of chemical toilets in trailers, and the like. 1-ply is all that can be flushed. Kleenex is 2-ply or more.

There IS a sign. Over every toilet in every cabin there is a sign to not flush anything but body waste and the provided toilet tissue. Nothing. Nothing means nothing. To add any more verbage only makes it more than likely some (many ?) people will bother to read and if they omit something, there surely is one genius out there who will spout they didn't say we shouldn't flush the wash cloth.... groan.

Actually, I think that sign is also at every public toilet on the ship.

And in a perfect world - which this definitely is not - every single person would know that the sign does not just refer to tampons and diapers, and that tissues (kleenex) are also a no-no. It is a mistake that has been made over and over again - as was pointed out by someone else on this thread - so it evidently needs to be specified. :rolleyes:

I have read here where several people have mentioned about putting their used Kleenex into the toilets.

Never ever have we done anything like that. We have waste cans in the bathrooms for used Kleenex. And there are waste cans in the bathrooms on the ships.

This makes me wonder how lazy people are that they can't put used Kleenex in the waste cans instead of the toilets.

And it should be remembered - do not throw your 2 and 3-ply kleenex down the toilet after blowing your nose. You likely do it at home but the ship's system can't cope with it.

Who flushes Kleenex? I have never heard of doing that. I never even considered it. Why would you even need to say that?

And in a perfect world - which this definitely is not - every single person would know that the sign does not just refer to tampons and diapers, and that tissues (kleenex) are also a no-no. It is a mistake that has been made over and over again - as was pointed out by someone else on this thread - so it evidently needs to be specified. :rolleyes:

No sign can fix stupid. If the sign they already have in place and have as long as I have sailed HAL (a very long time :D) isn't sufficient, there likely is no sign that will be good enough to get the point across.

Of course, you have to get people to even read it to have any hope of successfully getting the message across. :rolleyes:

Who flushes Kleenex? I have never heard of doing that. I never even considered it. Why would you even need to say that?
Just because you (and I) haven't considered flushing tissue doesn't mean other passengers don't do it. Last year on our HAL cruise there were signs over the bathroom tissue dispenser specifically stating not to flush the tissues. One of our tablemates was a 'know it all' :rolleyes: who (in his 'expert' opinion) didn't see any difference between the tp and the tissues. He flushed them both. During his chat with the plumber who had to come to their cabin for late night repairs :rolleyes: he learned that the sign stating not to flush tissues meant, NOT to flush tissues - and it applied to him too. :eek:

No sign can fix stupid. If the sign they already have in place and have as long as I have sailed HAL (a very long time :D) isn't sufficient, there likely is no sign that will be good enough to get the point across.

Of course, you have to get people to even read it to have any hope of successfully getting the message across. :rolleyes:

I could think of other signs that would be wasted too. However, with prevention being better than cure, and with cruise ships already knowing the major culprit of plumbing breakdowns (see post #16) I'm not sure why you would be so arbitrary in insisting it is not necessary. But I guess we must bow to your considerable (as in very long time) experience.:rolleyes:

:D

Edited to add:

It would be nice if when a poster offers an idea, or a constructive suggestion or solution to a problem, some others did not just go out of their way to continually shoot it down. No wonder newbies get nervous about posting.

Edited by Lizzie68

There IS a sign. Over every toilet in every cabin there is a sign to not flush anything but body waste and the provided toilet tissue. Nothing. Nothing means nothing. To add any more verbage only makes it more than likely some (many ?) people will bother to read and if they omit something, there surely is one genius out there who will spout they didn't say we shouldn't flush the wash cloth.... groan.

Actually, I think that sign is also at every public toilet on the ship.

There sure is, and has been for a long time, you're once again correct ;)

IMG_6103.jpg

I think they interpret it as other items, and think that tissues are safe. I was only aware myself that it is a no-no because of having years of chemical toilets in trailers, and the like. 1-ply is all that can be flushed. Kleenex is 2-ply or more.

It is a matter of them not thinking, rather than interpreting: if it say not to put anything other than toilet paper in the toilet - it means not anything.

There sure is, and has been for a long time, you're once again correct ;)

IMG_6103.jpg

I could think of other signs that would be wasted too. However, with prevention being better than cure, and with cruise ships already knowing the major culprit of plumbing breakdowns (see post #16) I'm not sure why you would be so arbitrary in insisting it is not necessary. But I guess we must bow to your considerable (as in very long time) experience.:rolleyes:

:D

Edited to add:

It would be nice if when a poster offers an idea, or a constructive suggestion or solution to a problem, some others did not just go out of their way to continually shoot it down. No wonder newbies get nervous about posting.

Lizzie, Help me out here.

Instead of the rolled eyes and sarcasm, What more should be added to the sign Copper has posted for us?

Seriously, how much more wall space should be used saying put nothing but provided Toilet Paper in the toilets?

I can't imagine what else one would expect the signage to say?

Edited by sail7seas

That's the problem with idiot-proofing things. The minute you idiot proof something, someone comes along and invents a better idiot.

Sorry to stir the snot. All I was wondering is if there was something to blow my nose with in the cabin. :confused:

Yes, you asked, and a lot of people took their time to politely tell you that while a box of Kleenex was available, it may not be of a quality you would be happy with.

Cruise Critic works like a group of people sitting around having a conversation and, where one topic leads into another related subject in real life, it also works that way on Cruise Critic. I trust you picked up some useful information.

I know I did. I didn't realize that the reason for the horrible quality tissue was due to people flushing it. Like most here, I always put used Kleenex in the garbage can provided.

So, thank you, OP, for the enlightening discussion.

I'm like you. Not that I am in the habit of flushing tissue but I always wondered why the quality that is provided is so dreadful. Now I know, so thank you to the poster who provided that information.

That's the problem with idiot-proofing things. The minute you idiot proof something, someone comes along and invents a better idiot.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool :cool:

Like both of these a lot!!!

Then there are those (mostly Navy types I suppose) that wonder why bother with tissues when a square or two of TP works just fine - and can be flushed anywhere without a problem.

Like both of these a lot!!!

Then there are those (mostly Navy types I suppose) that wonder why bother with tissues when a square or two of TP works just fine - and can be flushed anywhere without a problem.

I realise you are a man and wouldn't think of this issue but I ask you---in all honesty would you want to blot your lipstick with a square from a roll that sits beside the toilet? Think about it. :D:eek::D