Wharf extension OPT

I just worked out I will be getting a bird's eye view in late Oct. We are on the forward section.

Getting closer to our trip :)

solsticenose.jpg

Wow, your next trip B2B sounds great! And your first time on Solstice, yes?

We are considering Solstice as our first non RCI cruise and ofcourse their itinerary's are geared to B2Bs.

I'm sure it will be great! Will be interesting to hear how you find it.

Just look for the guy with the movie star looks:D:D:D I usually do priority check in which is the end down towards customs but just ask the directional staff upstairs for Graham or Benjo and they will point me out:eek: Are you sailing on the 26th October?

Yes 26th, and we will be Elite (reciprocal diamonds RCI), and we are in a concierge cabin so that gives us some sort of priority too as I understand it? We shall try and find you, unless things are snowed under for you all. We plan to be there pretty early as we are staying with friends in Sydney. ☺

Yep, cool photo too. Not sure but is it the angle or does Solstice have a stumpy bow?

I think it is a bit stumpy, and a bit the angle too. I found this pic which is a better view. (by tlcohio)

SolsticeSydneyHeliOperaShipTight.jpg

We are very much looking forward to the first Celebrity cruise (or 2!) and I will certainly be doing lots of photos and reviews. Our first leg seems to have quite a few new cruisers and majority Aussies on our roll call, and the second leg is a Celebrity reunion cruise which we didn't know when we booked! The roll call has heaps of posts, and majority of guests I think will be US. We have already jagged a reunion cruise bonus excursion for being elite :) Are you a Crown and Anchor member? I am guessing you know about Celebrity reciprocal levels?

I think it is a bit stumpy, and a bit the angle too. I found this pic which is a better view. (by tlcohio)

SolsticeSydneyHeliOperaShipTight.jpg

We are very much looking forward to the first Celebrity cruise (or 2!) and I will certainly be doing lots of photos and reviews. Our first leg seems to have quite a few new cruisers and majority Aussies on our roll call, and the second leg is a Celebrity reunion cruise which we didn't know when we booked! The roll call has heaps of posts, and majority of guests I think will be US. We have already jagged a reunion cruise bonus excursion for being elite :) Are you a Crown and Anchor member? I am guessing you know about Celebrity reciprocal levels?

Great photo! Looks like the decks are more forward on the base of the ship at the front compared to others, especially RCI ships. So heavier on the front I'd say. Wonder how that affects the ride and performance, particularly in rough seas.

Yes, I was aware of the reciprocal arrangement for C&A members. (we are currently Platinum) Another reason to consider going Celebrity for our first non-RCI cruise. Looks like you're doing ok out of it so far :) Better than the perks for RCI maybe??

Everyone says the Solstice is very stable, so we shall let you know about the comparison. We are in the forward section deck 10 first part of the B2B, and at the back of the centre hump deck 7 for the second part.

We got $300 OBC on the Nov trip during one of the pick your perk sale, and on the first leg we went for a GTY Concierge (which was the same price as a standard balcony GTY at the time), and for some reason we got "$428 in savings". Not sure how it is structured, or what that means, but when we log in the Captain's Club membership seems to give us some discount. We were pleased with the price overall, and that is all that matters :)

I can't work out anywhere on the site why or what we get as far as discounts on booking, but we go over as Elite and will get some free internet & laundry, as well as drinks of course! So it is sounding good so far! I do love the Diamond lounge experience, so it will be interesting to see how that compares. I will be taking many pics and lots of notes, so stay tuned! I am just debating about taking the laptop to do a live blog.... not sure yet.

Edited by goodycruising

Glad to hear that check-in and debark are working well, not so great about the traffic but I would be using the train in any case. Well gbenjo and team.:D

We have only once been dropped of by family in a car, and it was a nightmare back then. Narrow streets and too much traffic in and out. The train to the ship is an easy walk, even if it is raining, except for the roughness of the pavers. I wish they would put a smoother path for us, or even a luggage lane :)

Everyone says the Solstice is very stable, so we shall let you know about the comparison. We are in the forward section deck 10 first part of the B2B, and at the back of the centre hump deck 7 for the second part.

We got $300 OBC on the Nov trip during one of the pick your perk sale, and on the first leg we went for a GTY Concierge (which was the same price as a standard balcony GTY at the time), and for some reason we got "$428 in savings". Not sure how it is structured, or what that means, but when we log in the Captain's Club membership seems to give us some discount. We were pleased with the price overall, and that is all that matters :)

I can't work out anywhere on the site why or what we get as far as discounts on booking, but we go over as Elite and will get some free internet & laundry, as well as drinks of course! So it is sounding good so far! I do love the Diamond lounge experience, so it will be interesting to see how that compares. I will be taking many pics and lots of notes, so stay tuned! I am just debating about taking the laptop to do a live blog.... not sure yet.

Sounds like you got a good deal :)

I will certainly look forward to reading how it all goes!

So you need to join Captains Club, ok. I assume you need to enter your C&A number at some point to be eligible, given you haven't sailed with them before?

Enjoy your cruise, I am sure you will love the Solstice.:D

We have only once been dropped of by family in a car, and it was a nightmare back then. Narrow streets and too much traffic in and out. The train to the ship is an easy walk, even if it is raining, except for the roughness of the pavers. I wish they would put a smoother path for us, or even a luggage lane :)

Maybe have the porters meet people at the station to collect bags with the large trolleys.:D

Sounds like you got a good deal :)

I will certainly look forward to reading how it all goes!

So you need to join Captains Club, ok. I assume you need to enter your C&A number at some point to be eligible, given you haven't sailed with them before?

From what we remember we joined online, and it must have asked somewhere for the C&A details. Not sure if we rang to get that added? Anyhow, we joined before we were Diamond, and got whatever the level is for that, and as soon as we hit Diamond we started checking out the Celebrity cruises more seriously, and found that compared to Radiance they were a good price. Like anything, some times for sailing are cheaper, depending on the season/off season. South Pacific seems generally cheaper than NZ for all lines.

Mic/Sparky, I would pay to have someone drag my bags over those pavers. It really isn't far, but I would pay! I would tip well, there is an opportunity there! :)

You need to call them to get the accounts linked. You can join independently, and link afterwards though - it's not one of those annoying things where you have to register the linkage when you join.

From what we remember we joined online, and it must have asked somewhere for the C&A details. Not sure if we rang to get that added? Anyhow, we joined before we were Diamond, and got whatever the level is for that, and as soon as we hit Diamond we started checking out the Celebrity cruises more seriously, and found that compared to Radiance they were a good price. Like anything, some times for sailing are cheaper, depending on the season/off season. South Pacific seems generally cheaper than NZ for all lines.

Mic/Sparky, I would pay to have someone drag my bags over those pavers. It really isn't far, but I would pay! I would tip well, there is an opportunity there! :)

I think it would be a great opportunity for a bunch of entrepreneurs, as long as they are backed (have the permissions of both the cruise line and the cruise terminal. Otherwise there may be issues of trust, demarkation, etc.:D

From these photos that I took last Friday it will be some time still before work is completed.

Departure tent

DSCF0890_zps938d3f31.jpg

Inside OPT

DSCF0894_zps52b5f582.jpg

Work at southern end taken from deck of Rhapsody

DSCF0896_zpseb6934d1.jpg

Work at northern end taken from deck of Rhapsody

DSCF0902_zpsceacca5a.jpg

Thanks Gae!

Oh boy, what's that tent gonna be like when it warms up :eek:

It's just a "holding area" until they allow a few passengers at a time to enter the OPT itself. You're right though, it could get steamy in there during the height of summer. :eek:

Thanks for the updates.:D

Thanks Mic!

It took me ages to work out how to download these from Photobucket as it's been almost 12 months since I used the program to add photos to my Radiance blog.

I do also have a photo of OUR CC mate Graham (gbenjo) as he was waiting at the end of the ramp to welcome me back when I left the ship on Sunday morning.

He told me that he'd been looking out for me on departure day and thought he'd spotted me so asked this woman was she Gae (gay)? The woman was not too amused by some stranger asking such intimate questions of her! :D:D

Anyway, I assured him that I wouldn't post his photo without his prior approval :D

Gae

Edited by gaechann

It's just a "holding area" until they allow a few passengers at a time to enter the OPT itself. You're right though, it could get steamy in there during the height of summer. :eek:

We have been advised by Sydney Ports that air conditioning will hopefully be installed in a couple of weeks....fingers crossed.

Thanks Mic!

It took me ages to work out how to download these from Photobucket as it's been almost 12 months since I used the program to add photos to my Radiance blog.

I do also have a photo of OUR CC mate Graham (gbenjo) as he was waiting at the end of the ramp to welcome me back when I left the ship on Sunday morning.

He told me that he'd been looking out for me on departure day and thought he'd spotted me so asked this woman was she Gae (gay)? The woman was not too amused by some stranger asking such intimate questions of her! :D:D

Anyway, I assured him that I wouldn't post his photo without his prior approval :D

Gae

You can post it but it will spoil the mystique:D:D

We have been advised by Sydney Ports that air conditioning will hopefully be installed in a couple of weeks....fingers crossed.

Excellent! Will enjoy that in late Nov! :D Thanks...

Edited by Hazydavo