Wharf extension OPT

That sounds good Graham. It is a big project, and should be great. Moving more people through more quickly by the sound of it? Should make being at the coal face a happier place. :)

Yes, it will make Gbenjo's job better as well if people are happier and less stressed.:D

Thanks for the photos, Gae. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person tomorrow when we board Celebrity Century. :D

Hopefully I also get to meet a celebrity, namely Graham. ;)

With regards to luggage at Circular Quay, instead of having porters touting for business, why not have a second luggage drop off point (tent?) up near the train station and ferry wharves?

Honk Kong airport had a great system when we were there in 2010. We were able to checkin our luggage at the train station and didn't have to worry about it again until we landed back in Australia. I know that HK airport is a lot bigger and busier than the OPT but it just shows that there are other possible solutions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the photos, Gae. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person tomorrow when we board Celebrity Century. :D

Hopefully I also get to meet a celebrity, namely Graham. ;)

With regards to luggage at Circular Quay, instead of having porters touting for business, why not have a second luggage drop off point (tent?) up near the train station and ferry wharves?

Honk Kong airport had a great system when we were there in 2010. We were able to checkin our luggage at the train station and didn't have to worry about it again until we landed back in Australia. I know that HK airport is a lot bigger and busier than the OPT but it just shows that there are other possible solutions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That was more or less what I was referring to, they would have multiple passengers bags (10-20) on their trolleys to take to the ship not just one passengers bags.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Family are dropping us off on 16th November for The Diamond. After reading all above I think we will get them to drop us off near circular Quay station and walk around the corner.

Organise a place for pickup on your return too, away from the terminal.

It was a mad house there this morning.

No taxi stand there now so you have to fight the hordes of people waiting for shuttles etc to walk down to circular quay.

I thought i would need an ambulance not a taxi by the time we got in a taxi.

No taxi stand there now so you have to fight the hordes of people waiting for shuttles etc to walk down to circular quay.

Terrible welcome home Kasey! I saw taxis when I disembarked Rhapsody last Sunday but not sure how many as I was catching the train back north.

Added to the chaos of your disembarkment would have been the 2000 or so that were wanting to embark.

WHAT HAPPENED TODAY GRAHAM????

Goodness, it would have been mad. The train really is the more sensible way even if it is just to get to another station for the cabs.:D

Terrible welcome home Kasey! I saw taxis when I disembarked Rhapsody last Sunday but not sure how many as I was catching the train back north.

Added to the chaos of your disembarkment would have been the 2000 or so that were wanting to embark.

WHAT HAPPENED TODAY GRAHAM????

Gae, you saw yourself the other day what it is like at the moment at the OPT, but really out of our control ( they could just cancel every cruise ship from coming to the OPT till next year but methinks that's not a good idea.) The taxi rank is still there upstairs, as it always has been, but you would be surprised how many people just walk past it and go downstairs and then are unable to get back upstairs due to security or conversely line up in the taxi rank and then realise they don't want a taxi at all. ( switch on cruise mode and switch off brain):D:D

Edited by gbenjo

Gae, you saw yourself the other day what it is like at the moment at the OPT, but really out of our control ( they could just cancel every cruise ship from coming to the OPT till next year but methinks that's not a good idea.) The taxi rank is still there upstairs, as it always has been, but you would be surprised how many people just walk past it and go downstairs and then are unable to get back upstairs due to security or conversely line up in the taxi rank and then realise they don't want a taxi at all. ( switch on cruise mode and switch off brain):D:D

It must be difficult and frustrating with all the renovations for the passengers and terminal staff alike.

The taxi rank is still there upstairs, as it always has been, but you would be surprised how many people just walk past it and go downstairs and then are unable to get back upstairs due to security or conversely line up in the taxi rank and then realise they don't want a taxi at all. ( switch on cruise mode and switch off brain):D:D

That taxi stand upstairs works very well. We have used it a couple of times and they are very well coordinated.

I agree it USED to work well but today the taxi rank had been removed, no taxis at opt at all.

Everyone had to walk down and through the crowd waiting for shuttles, to circular quay as per the security guys there.

The trains were also not running.

Hope the switch on cruise mode was not aimed at me. We were following security orders. We did not walk past it or go downstairs.

It was just a great big mess.

Hope the switch on cruise mode was not aimed at me. We were following security orders. We did not walk past it or go downstairs.

It was just a great big mess.

Sorry Karon no not aimed at you, just a general comment about people in general(including me) when they go on holidays especially cruises where everything is done a little differently from day to day life and can get a little confusing for some.

Not sure ,if you debarked from upstairs, how you managed to not go past the Taxi area as there is only one exit line which should have had someone directing people (in a loud voice) to the taxi line plus the signage:confused: However if you say you did not go downstairs (lift or elevators) then you must have come out on the ground level which is strange as that level is normally only for "in transit " guests.

Sorry Karon no not aimed at you, just a general comment about people in general(including me) when they go on holidays especially cruises where everything is done a little differently from day to day life and can get a little confusing for some.

Not sure ,if you debarked from upstairs, how you managed to not go past the Taxi area as there is only one exit line which should have had someone directing people (in a loud voice) to the taxi line plus the signage:confused: However if you say you did not go downstairs (lift or elevators) then you must have come out on the ground level which is strange as that level is normally only for "in transit " guests.

Sounds like the debarkation from the ship was changed slightly without letting the passengers know where they need to be, debark upstairs for cabs, debark downstairs for shuttles or trains. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I also disembarked yesterday and the signage and direction was not very clear at all. We disembarked from deck 5 to get a shuttle and we were crammed on a reduced footpath with 4 suitcases along with hundreds of others (some that were non english speaking so couldn't understand direction) and there were semi trailers reversing into the construction area over the footpaths as well as the trucks that were entering to service the ship. It was very dangerous at times with people walking in between vehicles it is a recipe for disaster.

I was aware 2 weeks ago there were no trains on the city circle due to track work and i would of thought the ship would make passengers aware of the same.

I am sure it will be good when the construction is complete but in the meantime there needs to be more communication to passengers to stop this happening or before someone is injured.

They were getting people off from deck two and deck five. Maybe due to the amount of luggage people had. Shopping....Hawaii....long cruise etc😀

We did get off on deck two at ground level so no signs for us, just staff telling us to keep moving and go to circular quay.

No lift or stairs used.

But even the muddled end cannot put a dampener on an excellent cruise.

I saw opt disembarkation work very well a little while ago and hope by my next cruise on solstice it will be improved.

I hope that by the time Voyager arrives that there will be taxis around. I am not sure how the wife would cope dragging her bag to Circular Quay station. :)

Personal preference, but I'd say hundreds do it every week. :) It's level and not far.

Big problem for someone with a disability. I doubt that I could walk that far even without baggage.

This is starting to concern me a little. I'm new to the process with a wheelchair instead of a walker. OPT is a bit of a shambles but to be expected with such a huge renovation in process. I was in Sydney this week and saw the tent. We don't board until 2.30pm so hope it won't be as hectic by that stage. Any insights welcome.