Would you fly Norwegian Airline?

NewCruiserMPC

Norwegian is offering very low fares for our June cruise. I keep reading about "delays" and some of the issues they are having with their aircraft 787s.

We plan to fly out 2 days early and arrive the day before our cruise sails out. the return flight would be out of london, and if this flight gets delayed, no real crisis although it would suck and DH would be very upset.

Would you book with Norwegian knowing this information?

If you HAVE flown with them, how was your experience? Would you fly them again?

We always fly Norwegian Airlines to Gran Canaria out of London Gatwick. I cannot recall any massive delays with them (I guess out of LGW or LHR you get your occasional delay anyway). We found Norwegian to have more comfortable seats, better food and better service than other European cheap airlines. I am not sure how they perform on a long haul flight but certainly on a short haul flight I would recommend them.

For long haul flights we prefer British Airways hands down compared to Virgin Airlines. Would I give it a go to FLL on Norwegian? I certainly would give them a try. :)

We flew Norwegian Long Haul from CPH to LAX in March. Flight was delayed due to late arrival from LAX. Airline was very quick to offer meal vouchers to all during the delay. Did not fly the 787, contract aircraft thru EuroAtlantic. Flew Economy Plus with no issues. I would definitely fly them again if the price was right.

We flew Norwegian Long Haul from CPH to LAX in March. Flight was delayed due to late arrival from LAX. Airline was very quick to offer meal vouchers to all during the delay. Did not fly the 787, contract aircraft thru EuroAtlantic. Flew Economy Plus with no issues. I would definitely fly them again if the price was right.

Thank you. After discussing with DH, think we are going to take a gamble and try them out. Still a little hesistant based on "reviews" online, but like he said... "most people only post reviews when they have negative experiences. Few ever post reviews for positive experiences."

Hoping we are lucky and can get to our desitnations without any major delays. We are plying in a whole day early, so even a few hour delay wouldnt be so bad. As long as we dont miss our cruise, think its worth a shot!

have been checking every week to see if flights after march 28

would appear and today found them going thru august 2015:)

am hoping that they are allowed to continue to fly non stop

from stockholm to LAX in spite of all the unions and airlines

fighting their existence !!:eek:

and for such a reasonable price - even the premium economy

for may 12 is US$ 925.90 each w/ 2 bags, 2 meals, seat request,

2 larger seats together instead of 3, etc.

(this fall prices are even lower but prices next summer are higher

than in may- think this is true of most airlines)

when making reservations click on direct connection &

fare calendar as NON STOPS/DIRECT are not every day

we are not too concerned about flight delay as we are retired

and just going home from LAX on super shuttle after a month away

hoping in next few months cc members will tell about their experiences

this fall before we make payment / reservation !!!;)

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

• 2 weeks later...
For me the main concern is that they aren't in any of the big alliances. If their flight is cancelled or delayed, they can't move their passengers to a partnerairline.

I know very little about Norwegian. But do note that airlines move people to non-alliance/partner airlines at times. Some airlines like Southwest won't, but I've been moved from, for example, US Airways to Delta and from BA to Lufthansa before.

That being said, I have no idea of Norwegian would. But other airlines do, at times.

Edited by Zach1213

I know very little about Norwegian. But do note that airlines move people to non-alliance/partner airlines at times. Some airlines like Southwest won't, but I've been moved from, for example, US Airways to Delta and from BA to Lufthansa before.

That being said, I have no idea of Norwegian would. But other airlines do, at times.

US Airways and Delta porbably have interline agreements. I don't believe that Southwest has interline agreements with any airline. Norwegian airlines does not have interline agreements with any other airline either.

http://www.norwegian.com/portals/agent-portal-information-page/agent-faq/interline-agreements/does-norwegian-have-interline-agreements-with-other-airliners/

This causes problems when there are flight issues.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

. I don't believe that Southwest has interline agreements with any airline. Norwegian airlines does not have interline agreements with any other airline either.

This causes problems when there are flight issues.

No interline agreements make me tend to avoid airlines, especially if I have time sensitive travel.

Interesting. ExpertFlyer lists interline agreements with HU (but nobody else).

Not that that will help people much! Unless, of course, that's actually meant to be DU - but I suppose that won't help people much, either.

Norwegian are much more like Southwest than British Airways.

No interline agreements make me tend to avoid airlines, especially if I have time sensitive travel.

Case in point- I am sitting at SEA today actually taking a Southwest flight. Lots of cancellations because of the mess in Chicago today. The woman behind me in line earlier, was upset because her flight to Chicago was cancelled.

She was told they were already booking out until next week. Passenger couldn't seem to understand why Southwest just couldn't put her on another flight today, and she had to wait for an open seat on Southwest.

Edited by 6rugrats

• 4 weeks later...
have been checking every week to see if flights after march 28

would appear and today found them going thru august 2015:)

am hoping that they are allowed to continue to fly non stop

from stockholm to LAX in spite of all the unions and airlines

fighting their existence !!:eek:

and for such a reasonable price - even the premium economy

for may 12 is US$ 925.90 each w/ 2 bags, 2 meals, seat request,

2 larger seats together instead of 3, etc.

(this fall prices are even lower but prices next summer are higher

than in may- think this is true of most airlines)

when making reservations click on direct connection &

fare calendar as NON STOPS/DIRECT are not every day

we are not too concerned about flight delay as we are retired

and just going home from LAX on super shuttle after a month away

hoping in next few months cc members will tell about their experiences

this fall before we make payment / reservation !!!;)

hoping to hear your experiences from

any of you who are traveling this fall ;)

hoping to hear your experiences from

any of you who are traveling this fall ;)

I flew Norwegian Airlines from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen in September and a return flight from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale in October. Was a GREAT flight. Left 1/2 hour late going to Copenhagen in September but was on time returning to Ft. Lauderdale. Great plane, great flight, great price! I would fly with Norwegian Airlines again in a heartbeat! I must admit, I was worried due to all the negatives I heard......but am glad I took the chance. One thing....they don't have internet from USA to Europe as I thought they did. They claim they have it only on short flights from Europe to Europe.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I flew Norwegian Airlines from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen in September and a return flight from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale in October. Was a GREAT flight. Left 1/2 hour late going to Copenhagen in September but was on time returning to Ft. Lauderdale. Great plane, great flight, great price! I would fly with Norwegian Airlines again in a heartbeat! I must admit, I was worried due to all the negatives I heard......but am glad I took the chance. One thing....they don't have internet from USA to Europe as I thought they did. They claim they have it only on short flights from Europe to Europe.

Harriet

Curious... did you fly on their new 787 or was it another plane? Wondering if thats why they didnt have the internet.

One thing....they don't have internet from USA to Europe as I thought they did. They claim they have it only on short flights from Europe to Europe.

This is pretty common for internet access. Most systems operate through land-based links, so you lose that when flying over the ocean. For example, DL's fleet uses a land-system (GoGo) so they don't install it on their international fleet. There are some airlines with satellite based internet (LH comes to mind), but you need to check specific carriers and aircraft.

This is pretty common for internet access. Most systems operate through land-based links, so you lose that when flying over the ocean. For example, DL's fleet uses a land-system (GoGo) so they don't install it on their international fleet. There are some airlines with satellite based internet (LH comes to mind), but you need to check specific carriers and aircraft.

I have had pretty good luck the couple of times I have used AA's WiFi on the 77W - once GRU-DFW (which, I admit, is mostly over land) and once LHR-DFW. Will try again DFW-GRU-DFW next week and DFW-HKG-DFW in December.

Harriet

am so glad you took the chance &

had great experience both ways !! ;)

which class of seats did you book ??

i'm not concerned about using internet while flying !

as soon as we return from our nov cruises will book

the non stop one way & the hotels in sweden !! :)

am so glad you took the chance &

had great experience both ways !! ;)

which class of seats did you book ??

i'm not concerned about using internet while flying !

as soon as we return from our nov cruises will book

the non stop one way & the hotels in sweden !! :)

We booked the cheapest seats. I booked window and I booked my SIL in the isle. We had the middle seat empty both ways. We also paid the extra for the luggage, to choose our seats and the meal. Don't get to excited about the meal though....it's airplane food and they ran out of one of the choices midway through so all others had to take whatever option was left. Just keep in mind that the luggage weight on Norwegian is 20kg which is about 44 lbs whereas most other large airlines do allow 50 lbs. We saw lots of people checking one larger bag and then using a carry on with them when they boarded the plane. Even the carry on is 20kg, again 44 lbs. No charge for the carry on however. They sell blankets, pillows and earphones for $5.00 ea. but we brought our own.

And, our flight was straight through both ways - FLL to Copenhagen. Couldn't beat the price!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

We booked the cheapest seats. I booked window and I booked my SIL in the isle. We had the middle seat empty both ways. We also paid the extra for the luggage, to choose our seats and the meal. Don't get to excited about the meal though....it's airplane food and they ran out of one of the choices midway through so all others had to take whatever option was left. Just keep in mind that the luggage weight on Norwegian is 20kg which is about 44 lbs whereas most other large airlines do allow 50 lbs. We saw lots of people checking one larger bag and then using a carry on with them when they boarded the plane. Even the carry on is 20kg, again 44 lbs. No charge for the carry on however. They sell blankets, pillows and earphones for $5.00 ea. but we brought our own.

And, our flight was straight through both ways - FLL to Copenhagen. Couldn't beat the price!

Harriet

thanks for all the info !!! you were lucky to have the middle seat vacant !

did you notice if there were many other vacant seats ?

that would be great but it would be just our luck to have someone between us

& we have a really long distance flight from stockholm to LAX !!! :eek:

so DH said to please get us 2 seats together with more leg room !

had read about the 44 lbs but we get to check 2 each so we'll be ok -

what was size of your carry on ?

last year on ANZ to london the ridiculous carry on limit was 15 & our luggage

empty was 8 so i had a tote as my carry on - weighed 14 & nonchalantly slung

over my shoulder a super large red leather purse which carried all my travel books

and heavy items - it must have weighed 35 lb but they do not weigh purses !!

plus DH wore a vest w/ 18 pockets filled like a pack mule !!

did i mention we overpack ??? :eek::D:eek::D

we are not going to do that again !! this is what we pledge after each trip !!;)

had read about the 44 lbs but we get to check 2 each so we'll be ok -

BTW, this is per individual piece. Two bags weighing 40 and 48 pounds won't meet the allowance....you may or may not get away with it depending on how diligent the airline is at "revenue enhancement".

Edited by kenish